Re: Guy with "VZ Corporate Source" at WPcentral says Lumia coming to VZ on Black Friday
primortal
Master - Level 1

He posed a blurry pic of the camera of the suposed 922, http://pocketnow.com/2012/10/12/nokia-lumia-920-verizon-pic/

Comparison to a 41 megapixel Nokia prototype, http://wmpoweruser.com/could-leaked-nokia-lumia-922-be-a-real-41-megapixel-pureview-monster/

0 Likes
Re: Guy with "VZ Corporate Source" at WPcentral says Lumia coming to VZ on Black Friday
hopmedic
Contributor - Level 3

The @NokiaPureView guy has me doubting - just seems very amateurish, but then again, amateur doesn't automatically mean false....  Just means to me he has more to prove...

But Mr. MacPhisto has posted another post that leaves me thinking this guy knows what he's talking about.  Again, he could be full of the stuff that brains are NOT made of, so like always, take it with a grain of salt, and wait for something to come, but if I was going to pick one of the two of these guys to listen to, this would be the more likely of the two.  They could be both right, they could be both wrong, or I could have the two pegged wrong.  YMMV.

http://forums.wpcentral.com/1715140-post27.htm

0 Likes
primortal
Master - Level 1

Interesting.

On a side note.

Remember, too, that Verizon doesn't tend to announce things a month in advance. They often will give you a week's notice. Their tendency is not to promote a phone much before it is available, but when people can go to a store and actually look at a functional version of one. Verizon's philosophy is that people come to them because of their network. They want good phones, but they have felt for a long time that their network differentiates them and sets them above. The phone would be worthless if the network is garbage.

I've said for awhile, do not expect to hear anything from VZW about a 9XX phone until mid November at the earliest. Nokia wants AT&T to have a window (and they've been paid to do this). Announcing that Verizon will have one relatively quickly will take away any AT&T advantage with the phone. Of course, any switchers to AT&T will be upset if they wanted to stay with VZW or go to VZW. My own feeling is that I don't think it'll cause any massive move to AT&T. Maybe some Sprint customers who might have gone to VZW.

Nothing like angering your customers even more and sealing the deal of them never coming back when you switch carriers only to find out a month or so later VZW is going to carry the phone (or its varient) you left for.

0 Likes
hopmedic
Contributor - Level 3

Oh yeah.....  Makes perfect sense to me.  Say I'm a Verizon exec.  I see ATT announce something I know I'm going to be carrying in a month.  I look in the forums, and see my customers shouting that they want it.  I know we're going to have it, and I see them saying they're going to leave for it, but, meh - no biggie - I will announce it a few days before.  They won't get THAT frustrated, will they?  WILL THEY???  They like my network too much to REALLY leave, don't they?  Nah.......  I'll just make them wait - they're just.... CUSTOMERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  MUWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

0 Likes
_yankees_
Contributor - Level 3

Yep read that earlier today. I know you opened up an account there hop, was gonna ask you to ask that Mr Mach guy how credible he is

0 Likes
_yankees_
Contributor - Level 3

He also said

Remember, too, that Verizon doesn't tend to announce things a month in advance.  They often will give you a week's notice

This is soo true! Verizon just released yesterday that the Droid Razr HD and Droid Razr Maxx HD is coming out next on Engadget.

So Im thinking until at least Oct 29th we will not hear anything about any Windows Phones and 922 if there is a variant, something till not December, because Verizon still has to wait for At&t's exclusivity to end

0 Likes
swyost
Enthusiast - Level 2

Actually, this is so not true.  Perhaps it is just because people here are looking for WP devices, but ask any of the people who waited quite some time this summer for the Galaxy S3s they preordered.  Of course they also pre-promoted the ill-fated Kin and Palm Pre phones, and the droid does campaign drew buzz before any Android phone hit the shelves.  Sorry but this just amounts to rationalizations and making excuses for the lack of announcements from VZW about this product line and its predecessor. 

0 Likes
_yankees_
Contributor - Level 3

We are not making excuses for Verizon, we are just saying how Verizon works. If you look at the Samsung and Verizon's history you will see that Verizon never promoted the S2 or the note before they got famous. Samsung was in the same place as Nokia with Verizon regarding their phones. The only phone that Verizon truly advertised without any prior success is the first Droid and that even that had to run on Android 2.0 after the Android market started getting noticed. The reason S3 got such a boost because at this point Samsung become a giant phone company manufacturer worldwide and now VZ doesn't have any more leverage. The S3 came out as the flagship phone for EVERY single carrier in the US. Tmobile came out saying the S3 is the highest number of phones they ever sold in their network.

0 Likes
soangry
Enthusiast - Level 2

Yeah they most likely are sitting there not even thinking about it at all.  They bring in WAY more customers than they lose each month and untill that changes, they won't do anything any different than they are doing right now.

0 Likes
hopmedic
Contributor - Level 3

Yeah... Until they start losing customers en masse, they don't care.  Only then will they begin to consider that on average it costs about $300-$400 in marketing to gain a new customer over not much at all to keep a customer, if you keep those customers happy.  You don't have to spend money on marketing to keep current customers happy.  They wouldn't even have to advertise the new phones in order to let us know what's coming.  A press release would cost nothing, a message in these forums with their official "I'm a VZW Marketing Exec" badge icon would get the word out and other pubs would pick that up and get the word out and it would be reliable.  It wouldn't have to be advertized or hyped to the public, but those of us who want a device bad enough to leave for it would be satisfied, and would stay, without generating the hype of an all-out advertising campaign.

But no, you're right, they're not thinking about people leaving, because there are not enough people leaving for them to even care.

BTW, here are the current stats from my survey, as of 10/15/12 at 11:25 AM EDT (I didn't imagine I'd get this many votes Smiley Happy):
http://bit.ly/VZW920Svy

1. Which Windows Phone 8 device do you MOST want to see on Verizon's network?  
Nokia Lumia 920 (734)
Nokia Lumia 820 (10) 1%
Samsung Ativ S (4) 1%
HTC Windows Phone 8x (9) 1%
HTC Windows Phone 8s (1) 0%
2. How do you feel about the announced exclusivity that ATT has with the Nokia Lumia 920?
I am excited about it! (46) 6%
I like the idea (12) 2%
Meh - who cares? (15) 2%
I don't really like the idea, but who am I? (47) 6%
I am upset with Verizon about it. (210) 28%
I am upset with Nokia about it. (48) 6%
I am upset with Nokia and Verizon about it. (233) 31%
I am upset with Nokia, Verizon, and Microsoft about it. (147) 19%
3. What will you do if Verizon does not get the Lumia 920?   
Get the HTC Windows Phone 8x (77) 10%
Get the HTC Windows Phone 8s (4) 1%
Get the Samsung Ativ S (assuming it comes to VZW) (18) 2%
Go to ATT and get the Lumia 920 (462) 61%
Stick with my Trophy (or other current phone) until another phone as good as the 920 comes to Verizon (98) 13%
Stick with my Trophy (or other current phone) until my contract is up, and get an unlocked Lumia 920 or better and go with a non-contract provider (96) 13%
Lumia 920 is not my device of choice (3) 0%
0 Likes