Re: Guy with "VZ Corporate Source" at WPcentral says Lumia coming to VZ on Black Friday
primortal
Master - Level 1

Noticed another post from "VZ Corporate Source" and is doesn'l look so good for a high end Lumia anytime soon.

There are still the promises of giving Verizon an exclusive on the quad-core Lumia in February/March, but the people at VZW are not holding their breath.  They'll have the HTC quad core by then too - and HTC is reportedly working on integrating things like OIS into their phones to challenge Nokia and is working

with Verizon to build more and better apps.

Source: http://forums.wpcentral.com/1729467-post84.htm

0 Likes
Re: Guy with "VZ Corporate Source" at WPcentral says Lumia coming to VZ on Black Friday
hopmedic
Contributor - Level 3

Ok, I've been looking now for a while, and for the life of me I can't find it again, but yesterday I saw a post in one of the forums on wpcentral that had and interesting comment.  A person said that they had gone into an ATT store just to look at the 920 (it was a Verizon customer), and in the store was a Nokia rep.  The person asked the Nokia rep about the whole exclusivity thing, and the possibility of a 922 on Verizon, and the rep told him something along the lines of "If Verizon really wants a 920 variant, they could have it by Christmas - the exclusivity really doesn't mean a whole lot." 

Not sure how much that really means, and I wish I could find the post so I could link to it, but I saw it in the app while on my phone, so I couldn't post here at the time.  Just something to think about.  I've already decided I'm not buying anything right now, anyway, so it's not like I'd be changing my plans based on this and getting upset if it doesn't happen, but if it does happen, I'll be a happy camper.

0 Likes
hopmedic
Contributor - Level 3

Well wadaya know?  As soon as I'd given up, I found it. 

Mr. MacPhisto, I was in the AT&T store yesterday and there was a rep that worked with Nokia, so I asked her about the 920/922 on Verizon. She said that she wouldn't be surprised if the Lumia 920/922 was on Verizon by December around Christmas. She said that if Verizon wanted the phone, they would get it and that the exclusive status doesn't mean anything. Thoughts?

http://forums.wpcentral.com/upcoming-rumored-devices/199198-14.htm#post1749646

0 Likes
primortal
Master - Level 1

That would actually come to a 6 week exclusive instead of a 6 month, interesting.

0 Likes
hopmedic
Contributor - Level 3

Well, if they change the model number, and put a CDMA radio in it, then ATT still has their 920 exclusive, technically... 

0 Likes
ThisIsNiceStuff
Enthusiast - Level 3

That is basically what they did with the 822, except the 822 is hideous compared to the 820.

But lets get real for a moment. The 6 month exclusivity for the 920 on At&t has been confirmed by several reputable websites. Its happening. Verizon is not going to launch a device that is already 6 months old when they could just try to get a new device or get the next updated Lumia. Dont believe me? Just try to name ONE other device this has happened to besides the iphone. That is a different story as that phone is a behemoth and face it, the Lumia doesn't have that clout. Sorry to be a buzz kill but just be honest with yourself.

BTW im getting the HTC 8X, so Im not a WP hater.

0 Likes
hopmedic
Contributor - Level 3

ThisIsNiceStuff wrote:

Just try to name ONE other device this has happened to besides the iphone.

Trophy.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HTC_7_Trophy

Yes, every one of us who is carrying around a Verizon Windows Phone 7 Device is proudly carrying around technology that was released in October 2010 in Europe, and not until May 26, 2011 in the US.  I guess by your standards, Trophy has the clout - and had it before iPhone had it.

Message was edited by: hopmedic

0 Likes
ThisIsNiceStuff
Enthusiast - Level 3

That is not the same thing and I am referring to US availability and its domestic carriers. Nice try though. BTW, the Trophy has no clout. It was simply a stopgap measure to appease the WP folk on Verizon.

0 Likes
hopmedic
Contributor - Level 3

Actually, it wasn't a stopgap.  It was planned for a much sooner release - fliers were distributed among Microsoft employees for a December 2010 release - but Microsoft hadn't finished the CDMA support.  Those of us in the public weren't aware of this until much later, however, and it wasn't until Sprint released the Arrive on March 23, 2011 that we actually knew that the CDMA support was completed.  After that it was on Verizon, but I suspect that between the flop that the Kin was, and the failure of MS to support CDMA out of the gate put a sour taste in VZW's mouth.  In hindsight I can't say I blame them, but at the time I was fuming.  From the consumer standpoint, however, I am glad to see they've (at least for the most part) gotten over it, and seem to be supporting the platform now.

There seems to be some history to explain the lukewarm response by Verizon to WP7, and we were the ones to suffer for it.

0 Likes
ThisIsNiceStuff
Enthusiast - Level 3

Ya, the Kin really screwed things up for Windows on Verizon. Had that debacle never happen, id expect the WP7 and 8 phone offerings would have been much better.

0 Likes