HTC 8X Extended Network vs Roaming in St Thomas
AmosOtis1457

Roaming network "Choice Wireless" is showing up 99% of the time here in St. Thomas and not the "Extended Network".  This is very frustrating.  Is there a way to configure HTC 8X to only accept "Verizon Wireless" or "Extended Network"?  I never want to roam.  This isn't about data roaming.

If I can't resolve this will be forced to get an AT&T phone for business trips here to USVI.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
HTC 8X Extended Network vs Roaming in St Thomas
demmo86rt
Champion - Level 3

Under settings, there is a cellular connection menu with an option to roam or never roam.

0 Likes
Re: HTC 8X Extended Network vs Roaming in St Thomas
AmosOtis1457

unfortunately that is not the case on my HTC 8X phone. 

Under SETTINGS->cellular I have:

Data Connection (on|off)

Data roaming options (roam | don't roam)

Mode selection (Global mode | LTE and CDMA | LTE, GSM, or UMTS)

For limited Wi-Fi connectivity (use cellular data | don't use cellular data)

there is no option to turn off roaming for phone.  It only applies to data.

For the record my current settings are (and have been for some time)

Data connection - on

Data roaming options - don't roam

Mode selection - Global mode

For limited Wi-Fi connectivity - don't use cellular data

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

Change the mode selection to LTE/CDMA not Global.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
demmo86rt
Champion - Level 3

This is also what I would suggest.

0 Likes
budone
Legend

In the USVI, if you have a Verizon Plan you will be roaming. There is no extended coverage there.

If you have an Alltel plan, you are covered and there is not any roaming.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Hi AmosOtis1457,

I apologize for any confusion surrounding the use of your phone in the U.S. Virgin Islands. All voice calls in the USVI are considered roaming and the rate for the calls is $1.99/minute. However, data is considered domestic and data usage will simply take from your current data plan as if you were in the United States. Please confirm this information and any other rates for any other county online at http://vzw.com/TripPlanner at your convenience.

AntonioC_VZWSupport
Follow us on Twitter at www.twitter.com/VZWSupport

0 Likes
AmosOtis1457

Antonio,

I was informed of that information but was also told that the data being considered as domestic is only if the phone showed I was on "Extended Network".  It would show "Extended Network" on occasion but very seldom and even then would switch back to "Roaming" seconds later. 

What I'd like to understand is, while in the USVI, if I turn "Data Roaming" on, will I be charged for roaming data or will it be considered domestic just as you mention above.

If not, then I'm back to the reason I started this thread.  Why will not this phone stay connected to "Extended Network" while in USVI?

Thanks for your reply,

Eddie

0 Likes
budone
Legend

Using data in USVI simply uses data from whatever data plan you have. No additional charges unless you go over your limit.

If you are going to St. John's, be careful because you can start getting data from the British VI. That will cost you a chunk of change.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

I can clarify AmosOtis1457! Any data usage in the U.S. Virgin Islands is considered domestic and will deduct from your current domestic allowance plan. The device may switch from extended network to roaming "carrier" depending on the area. However, data usage is considered domestic. Thank you.

TominqueBo_VZW
Please follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport