HTC 8X SIM Card Error
dkmiotek

Twice in the past 24 hours I've gotten an error message when trying to make a phone call "SIM Error. The SIM card is missing or invalid. You can still make emergency calls if your mobile operator supports it." A quick restart of the phone seems to fix the problem. But is there a software or hardware issue that's causing this?

Thanks in advance!

Labels (1)
Tags (6)
0 Likes
Re: HTC 8X SIM Card Error
_yankees_
Contributor - Level 3

It's a hardware issue. Go to Verizon, and ask them switch out your SIM card for a new one.

You can try an alternative method that has helped other users get rid of their SIM card issue. ss

Go to Settings > Cellular > Mode > LTE and CDMA. (Keep in mind changing it from global to LTE and CDMA may give you the possible "roaming icon" on your phone)

Another method is to

1.) Pop out your SIM tray.

2.) Take your SIM card out of the tray.

3.) Place 2-4 pieces of clear tape (Scotch brand or similar) on the back of the SIM card.

4.) Cut the excess tape from around the edges of the SIM card, and put the card back in the tray.

5.) Then put the SIM tray back in the phone. (Pushed in very firmly. Not sure I'll be able to get it back out.)

RighteousDork

I was getting it a lot as well.  Multiple times a day.  Also solved it with tape.  Popped out the SIM tray and just added a little tape to the back to keep the card in place.  Haven't seen the error since.  My guess is that the card is just too loose in that tray and loses contact.

0 Likes
Swappy

Mine looses the sim connect 2X a day on average.  I had Verizon put in a new SIM, same problem.  This seems like a manufacturing defect to me.  For Verizon or HTC to think it's acceptable to fix this with tape is laughable.  I use this phone for business and it is not OK to loose the SIM and have to reset the phone so often.  Both these companies need to stand behind the product and fix the issue overall or give users a replacement. 

0 Likes
Flexo

I just started seeing this issue the last two days, I reseated the SIM card. Looks like I will be visiting Verizon soon.

0 Likes
Skipweston
Enthusiast - Level 1

Placing some tape on the back of the SIM card (side without the shiny metal) did the trick for me.  Did this about 3 months ago and have not had a SIM issue since then.  Verizon has since pushed an update that "Improves SIM Card detection" which to no avail does not help at all.

I can understand some being weary of removing the SIM card and putting foreign materials inside their phone but this fix works.  If you are too scared to do so, you might as well try and get a different phone because HTC has historically had SIM card detection issues with previous models.

Follow the method posted by _yankees ~ Quote:

"Another method is to

1.) Pop out your SIM tray.

2.) Take your SIM card out of the tray.

3.) Place 2-4 pieces of clear tape (Scotch brand or similar) on the back of the SIM card.

4.) Cut the excess tape from around the edges of the SIM card, and put the card back in the tray.

5.) Then put the SIM tray back in the phone. (Pushed in very firmly. Not sure I'll be able to get it back out.)"

0 Likes
KDP974

>>Duplicate post removed for cross-posting violation of the

See   for original message<<

Message was edited by: Verizon Moderator

0 Likes