HTC 8x wireless messed up after OS update 8.0.10501.127
oilmonkey

Ever since the latest OS update 8.0.10501.127 to my Windows HTC 8x phone, the wireless has been messed up. It's as if the antennae has been reduced significantly. In my home, I can stand next to my wireless router with my HTC 8x phone and my iPhone 5c and get the same test results from speedtest.net app. If I go up one floor, the 8x speedtest shows download speeds of approx. 1.5MBps and 0.0MBps for upload speed, while my iPhone 5c shows approx. 15MBps down and 6MBps up. If I go up one more floor, my iPhone 5c shows approx 12MBps down and 5MBps up, but my 8x shows 0.0 up and down. I only started experiencing this problem after the latest update last week. I've turned the phone and wifi off numerous times to no avail. To show the significant difference in speed while connected to wifi, I've included screenshots of a speedtest I just performed on both of my phones which are both Verizon phones, the iPhone is my work phone, 8x is my personal phone. Please help, this is driving me CRAZY!!!HTC 8x speedtest.jpgiPhone 5c speedtest.PNG

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: HTC 8x wireless messed up after OS update 8.0.10501.127
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

RonZimmerman,

I'm sorry to hear about your speed and wifi connectivity issues.  I know I would be frustrated having to deal with this.  It's possible something on the device is conflicting with the new software update.  You may want to consider completing a hard reset on your device.  Here are the instructions;  http://vz.to/1tENUcN

Let us know how it goes!

TrevorC_VZW

Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

View solution in original post

0 Likes
BT6262

This is a horrible deal.  I have the same problem with wifi speed issue (my borwser and spped is slower than dirt) and the fact that the attenae seems to have less power/connectibility on known wifi networks.  And please don't tell me or us that resetting the phone will remedy the issue.  I've done that and short of being completely annoyed that you have to reconfigure the home screen, the issue remains. 

0 Likes
longbucks

I have the same issue.  Little to no wifi coverage in my own home unless I'm right on top of the router.  I used to get a full wifi signal throughout the house before the update.  My wifi coverage is also very limited everywhere else.

0 Likes
Ratbert

I have the same issue as well.  I can't even consistently connect to devices on my home network using my phone.  I have re-booted.  I have removed and re-added the Wifi connection.  Nothing seems to help.  I really don't want to do a factory reset on my phone, and it doesn't look like that would help anyways.  This appears to be a widespread issue as I see other blog entries of customers reporting the same thing

0 Likes
RockfromSunnyFL

My HTC 8x is demonstrating exactly the same problem since the most recent update. Wifi connectivity is unstable and often it can't even find any networks at all, even when I am physically standing next to my home wireless router. Powering off and back on will resolve the problem of not seeing any networks, but often the phone can't connect to a network or it frequently drops the connection. Data transfer (both download and upload) is painfully slow when it does connect, but trying to transfer a photo or a large file will cause the connection to drop.

Verizon:  is there a resolution for this issue?  Will Windows 8.1 fix this common problem?  When will 8.1 be released for the 8x?

0 Likes
zman321
Enthusiast - Level 2

Same problem here. Initially after reboot I get great WiFi speeds, but after some time the speed decreases until finally I am unable to connect at all on wifi. This happens in my home even if I am next to the router. If I turn off the HTC 8X and reboot I get the great wifi again. This never happened until I got the

Software Update for the

WINDOWS PHONE 8X.

Build Number: 3030.0.42201.605; Baseband: 2.00.50.0528_3

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

RonZimmerman,

I'm sorry to hear about your speed and wifi connectivity issues.  I know I would be frustrated having to deal with this.  It's possible something on the device is conflicting with the new software update.  You may want to consider completing a hard reset on your device.  Here are the instructions;  http://vz.to/1tENUcN

Let us know how it goes!

TrevorC_VZW

Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
martinrp

The fact that so many of us have had this problem immediately after the software update in July suggests a software rather than hardware issue. Has anyone tried the hard update and if so with what results? Also, have people with this problem had the issue in all locations or just their home router location? My problem is worst at home with the Verizon Fios router, although other devices e.g. a Surface tablet, seem unaffected.

0 Likes