HTC One M8 Rapid Discharge
JetStream90

I've had this HTC One M8 Windows Phone for just about exactly 2 years now (coincidentally exactly when my contract expired.)  I've always had problems with the charge plummeting from 40% to 5-6% in an hour or less and causing my phone to turn off without me noticing.  However, just now i was distracted by it turning off after crashing to 5% from 76% in 1 hour (from 100% in 3 hours.) Even more alarming is the fact that, even with NOTHING running AND with it on standby (screen locked,) it was still very hot.  It felt literally almost as hot as a winter hand warmer pouch (if activated in a 77 degree house.)  I plugged it in, and guess what? The temperature dropped to normal!  Since the below pictured 10% measurement (actually 5%,) it's been about 50 minutes and it still hasn't recovered any charge past 15%.

Please respond with a reliable solution.  I am a Pilot, and this is my Only mobile phone, so it has to be fixed ASAP.

Steps to cause the issue: None, the screen was locked and no apps were loaded in the background.

Not likely to be battery defect because it's charging now, and not only is it not hotter than it was, but its actually much cooler than when the issue happened.  I suspect it was a Verizon software trigger since my contract expired 2 days ago to try to get me to renew for 2 more with a new phone.

wp_ss_20160908_0003.png

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: HTC One M8 Rapid Discharge
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

Have you tried different chargers or electrical outlets?

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
JetStream90

The charging itself is irrelevant, it charges fine up to 100%.  The issue is the rapid DIScharging that occurs once every 3 days or so, mostly in the evening so far.  The charging issue I mentioned (as clarified below) is a result of the phone's discharge rate being strong enough to fight (and significantly inhibit) the charge rate. It's like the electricity from the charger is flowing into my phone, and being immediately purged in the form of heat (and a LOT of it.)  My phone has activated a hairdryer mode with no cooling fan.

The HTC One M8 discharges from 100% to <5% in less than 4 hours. while in standby with no apps open.  Since my previous post, it's happened a number of times and below are a few more examples of it discharging.  As you can see below, it charges quickly, but in the first picture, you can see it discharging at a similar rate to the charging.  Also, in the bottom picture, you can see it the discharge fighting the charge rate as it slows down the charging by half of its normal value for a time.  As you can imagine, the phone gets uncomfortably hot when this happens, leading me a couple other times to turn the phone off to let it cool down.

wp_ss_20160908_0005.pngwp_ss_20160915_0013.pngwp_ss_20160915_0014.png

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

I know Windows phone can tell you which applications are using the battery. Have you checked what might be the application that is causing the drain?

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
JetStream90

If I go to the battery usage, it doesn't give me the drain caused by the operating system or related functions, only installed apps.

The biggest user, with it set as within one week, is listed as Internet Explorer at 4.4%, Phone at 3.1%, 2 apps at 1.5%, and all others <1%.  If I change the setting to 24 hours or 48 hours, the usage for the highest 2 apps only increases to 6.5%, the rest below 3%.

It either has to be an operating system/related function or the battery itself losing its ability to hold a charge instead of a 3rd-party app.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

I appreciate your efforts so far, JetStream90. I would be concerned too if my phone kept draining battery that fast. No worries, we are happy to help find a solution. To clarify, there is not a Verizon software trigger to make your phone do this after your contract ended. This is simply a coincidence.

The issue can certainly be related to your battery. Batteries do not last forever, so we definitely want to check that out by using a device health test. Click here: http://vz.to/2dbNfCL . Also, the previous question about using different chargers is a good one. Even though your phone is charging up to 100% doesn’t necessarily rule out a charger issue. If the charger doesn’t have enough voltage you can start to see a trickle charge and/or rapid battery drain. May I ask if you are using the original OEM charger that came with the phone? Have you attempted your charger on a different phone or use a different charger on your device to see if the issue duplicates? I have included a helpful link of standard troubleshooting steps here: http://vz.to/1PYeWVR .

AnthonyC_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the 'Correct Answer' button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!

0 Likes