HTC Trophy data roaming not working internationally
jw2
Enthusiast - Level 2

I am on a global data plan and was able to get data to the phone while still in the US. When I came to Europe, the phone works but the data is not working on any of the partner networks. I have been on the phone with Global Support twice and they have no idea what is happening.

Has anyone else been able to get the data to work internationally? I realize the phone is new and so many may not be travelling, but I travel each month and data access is required. One of them suggested it could be my phone, but since I got data in the US and I can make calls/SMS here in Europe, that didn't sound like the problem.

p.s. Thank god I thought to bring my Touch Pro 2 just in case.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: HTC Trophy data roaming not working internationally
jw2
Enthusiast - Level 2

Problem solved. The tech I talked to today and after reading the manual he discovered that the APN was not set in the firmware as it is in other phones. So to address this add apn and then type in inetgsm.vzw3g.com with no login or password and it should work from there.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
hopmedic
Contributor - Level 3

jw2 wrote:

I am on a global data plan and was able to get data to the phone while still in the US. When I came to Europe, the phone works but the data is not working on any of the partner networks. I have been on the phone with Global Support twice and they have no idea what is happening.

Has anyone else been able to get the data to work internationally? I realize the phone is new and so many may not be travelling, but I travel each month and data access is required. One of them suggested it could be my phone, but since I got data in the US and I can make calls/SMS here in Europe, that didn't sound like the problem.

p.s. Thank god I thought to bring my Touch Pro 2 just in case.

Interesting...  I was going to suggest that you (for now) buy a pre-paid SIM in the country you're in, and try that, but since you thought to bring your TP2, did you try the SIM from that phone in the Trophy?

0 Likes
gragacia

International data roaming is turned off by default, according to Paul Thurrott (http://windowsphonesecrets.com/2010/08/03/an-american-windows-phone-in-europe/)

To enable it, go to Settings > Cellular and change 'Data roaming options' to "roam"

You should be set.

0 Likes
jw2
Enthusiast - Level 2

Global Support said that switching out the SIM card would not work and we switched the roam settings multiple times, Took the battery out and then did it again.

This is really puzzling. The one thought I had is that the roam selection does not actually work.

Surprised too that I have not heard anyone else report this problem yet.

0 Likes
hopmedic
Contributor - Level 3

jw2 wrote:

Global Support said that switching out the SIM card would not work and we switched the roam settings multiple times, Took the battery out and then did it again.

This is really puzzling. The one thought I had is that the roam selection does not actually work.

Surprised too that I have not heard anyone else report this problem yet.

Global Support would not want you to switch out the SIM for a prepaid SIM in that country, because then Verizon wouldn't make money off your calls.  I'm not sure why switching out with your known working SIM from the TP2 wouldn't work, unless there's more to a Verizon SIM than there is to any other GSM SIM.  For instance, an ATT user can take his SIM out of his phone, and stick it into any other ATT phone, and it will work on his account - no activation necessary.  Interesting.

0 Likes
jw2
Enthusiast - Level 2

So just out of morbid curiosity, I did switch out the SIM cards and I have the same experience, phone but no data.

This must have something to do with the ROAM setting not actually doing anything.

So glad this was tested so well before it was released.  :smileymad:

0 Likes
jw2
Enthusiast - Level 2

Problem solved. The tech I talked to today and after reading the manual he discovered that the APN was not set in the firmware as it is in other phones. So to address this add apn and then type in inetgsm.vzw3g.com with no login or password and it should work from there.

0 Likes
jw2
Enthusiast - Level 2

0 Likes
hopmedic
Contributor - Level 3

jw2 wrote:

Ah - I've seen the APN setting, but had no idea what it was for.  Glad it's working for you now.

0 Likes