HTC Trophy? or something else?
TySimm

Hey I am eligible for an upgrade in a week and I am conflicted on what to get. I really want a Windows7 phone and all reports show the HTC Trophy coming out on May 12th. The problem is, however, that everywhere I research claims that the Trophy is the weakest of the W7 phones. I am also interested in the Incredible 2 and LG Revolution. Should I risk with the Trophy or go for something "technically" better like I2 or Rev? Suggestions?

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: HTC Trophy? or something else?
hopmedic
Contributor - Level 3

TySimm wrote:

Hey I am eligible for an upgrade in a week and I am conflicted on what to get. I really want a Windows7 phone and all reports show the HTC Trophy coming out on May 12th. The problem is, however, that everywhere I research claims that the Trophy is the weakest of the W7 phones. I am also interested in the Incredible 2 and LG Revolution. Should I risk with the Trophy or go for something "technically" better like I2 or Rev? Suggestions?

Myself, I'm going to buy whatever phone comes out (though I'm still hoping they'll release the 7 Pro at the same time, I doubt it).  Eventually, when the 7 Pro comes out, I'll get it, and sell the Trophy that will most likely be my only option to start with, on ebay.  Personally, I don't think there is a "weak" WP7 device, but some are better than others.  Since we have yet to see a review of the Verizon copy of the Trophy, though, it wouldn't be completely fair to judge it.  Who knows - they may have improved on something since the GSM Trophy was released overseas.  Then again, maybe I'm dreaming.

Oh - and whatever I buy - I'm NOT buying a contract.  I'll have to pay full price anyway, since my current contract isn't up, so there's no way I'm going to pay full price AND obligate myself further.

0 Likes
Re: HTC Trophy? or something else?
Squallfyr
Contributor - Level 3
I havent heard any news recently about the Revolution, so I wouldnt worry about buying it soon
0 Likes
Re: HTC Trophy? Or something else?
WP7SmartPhones
Enthusiast - Level 2

It is hard to offer any kind of Advice on which phone you should get.  Windows Phone and Android have a fundamental difference in how they operate on a conceptual level.  I really like how the Windows Phone works.  So my first advice is to give each of the devices a try.  That will likely mean finding someone that has a Windows Phone on another network or going into an AT&T, Sprint, or T-Mobile store and finding a working copy of a phone. 

As for the date of release, the latest rumor is May 12th.  I have not seen any official word on release from Verizon.  There have been speculated dates starting back in March.  Each has passed without release.  So I would not put much stock in the date.  We may all be surprised and it may come true.  Unfortunately it is just as likely to not be a good date.  If any of the previous dates had any basis in fact, then it seems Verizon has been pushing the date of release further and further back.  No one at Verizon will stand behind any of these date because they were not announced by them.  So you have that to consider as well.

The only phone that Verizon has announced in any fashion is the Trophy.  The European version of this phone was made to shoot for the lowest price point of all of the HTC phones out there. It still has to meet Microsoft's minimum standards.  Based on what I have read about the GSM model, that is all the HTC did with it for the European market.  However carriers do order their own versions of the phones.  One thing that was on early fliers for the Microsoft employees is that the phone is supposed to have 16GB instead of 8GB.  If this is actually true at launch, that will be an improvement over its GSM brother. Of course there are changes to it because it is supposed to be a "global" phone.  That means it will keep its GSM support as well as having the CDMA.  So that is potentially another nice feature, depending on if that is important to you or not.  Given the cool reception that Verizon is giving the Windows Phone, I would not expect much more than that.  Of course Windows Phone is very powerful and works well on it's basic hardware.

So my best advice is to pick the phone style that you want to go with.  If you really want a Windows Phone, I say don't settle for something else and be stuck with it for the next two years or pay big bucks to get out from under it.  That may mean waiting Verizon out or deciding to jump ship and go to a carrier that has Windows Phones.  I have been considering both options personally.  I would really have liked to see the HTC 7 Pro come out on Verizon but will have to stick with the Trophy.  Even if Verizon were to get the Pro 7, it would likely be months before they release it. 

0 Likes