HTC Windows 8x Phone - 4G LTE goes out
maddog1991

Hello,

Just got my phone ( HTC Windows 8x) and so far so good. I like the phone allot, coming from an android device I think the user interface on the Windows phone is amazing. I have a few minor gripes but I hope the upcoming updates will fix them. The ONE issue I am concerned about is the reception I get. Since I'm new to 4G LTE network ( my last phone was 3G) I'm not sure if the issue is my phone or the coverage. Here is the issue:

I never have full bars when the the phone shows lte at the top, I usually have 3 bars or less. I also find the phone going to 3g mode now and then. My wife has the same phone and gets the same amount of bars but when I'm in 3G her's is still showing LTE. My question is - is there something wrong with the phone or do others see this behavior on the 4G network? I don't know if the 4G network just never has more than 3 bars of if it's my phone. My old phone (on 3G) always had full bars. I'm on day 5 of my 14 day trial so I'm trying to figure this out before the trial period end.

Thanks for any help!

MM

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: HTC Windows 8x Phone - 4G LTE goes out
_yankees_
Contributor - Level 3

Right now I have LTE and its 3 bars as well

Lets make sure all your settings are correct. Go to settings > Cellular > Mode > Global mode

Make sure it is selected on "Global mode", that is the default for Verizon.

When your phone cannot connect to 4G LTE, it will automatically look for 3G and if it cannot find it, it will go to 2G, which in Verizon it is shown as "1x". As far as I know, going to 3G now and then is normal, because it all depends on the reception your phone is getting at that spot.

0 Likes
maddog1991

Everything looks as though it should. So, I guess maybe it's just the Verizon network. It's just a little concerning that no matter where I am I never have more than 3 bars. I checked this morning with a co-worker. He has the IPhone and uses Verizon as his carrier, if we are standing in the same spot he gets  4 SOLID bars, my phone gets 3 bars but it moves from 3 to 2 to 1 to 3 again. Going by this test I would have to say it has something to do with the HTC phone as well.

0 Likes
_yankees_
Contributor - Level 3

Im going to do some digging around and find more about this. I will let you know

0 Likes
maddog1991

Thanks! I've been watching it all day and I still have the same behavior. It has moved to 3G (3 ) times since this morning and the rest of the time I have 2 - 3 bars on LTE. I checked someone else and they have full LTE on the Verizon network. I would appreciate any input if you find something.

0 Likes
_yankees_
Contributor - Level 3

Maddog

Hope you don't mind, but I had to kinda reference you, I have started thread in a different forum and it seems like most of us 8x users have the same thing. So it must be a normal thing for 8x to get 2-3 bars.

Here is the thread, check it out

http://forums.wpcentral.com/htc-8x/215536-how-many-signal-bars-you-getting-4g-lte.html

0 Likes
maddog1991

Yankees

Thanks for the follow up. I don't mind at all that you referenced me. It's a bummer though! I suppose reading the other thread it makes sense that 2 is as good as 5 as long as you get your data. It's still a bit concerning to me that I go to 3G at least 2-3 times a day. As I said I love the phone, and am still in the trial period so I will keep an eye on it but I can't see bringing the phone back for this.

Thanks again! I'll be roaming the forum now that I'm a 8x owner, some day maybe I'll help you out.

0 Likes
maddog1991

By the way, I live in Boston but I'm a huge Yankees fan. Well I was anyway, I became a fan when Mattingly was playing... loved that guy. I'm sick of Cashman, their trades, and the way they spend they're money and have lost interest. I want to see them develop the team from the farm system and stop trying to buy a team. Hated the AROD trade when they did it and still hate it!

0 Likes
_yankees_
Contributor - Level 3

You are welcome Maddog. Glad to see another Yankees fan Smiley Happy. Yep I agree with you working up the farm system is the way like they did in the 90s where they won all those WS championships

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Maddog1991, congrats on upgrading to your Windows 8x! I agree that it is an excellent device. You mentioned that your wife has the same phone. Is hers with VZW as well? Different model phones may have slightly different signal levels. It is normal to have a bar less, but if the signal is constantly fluctuating while in same area, there could possibly be an issue with the phone. The best way to guage if your phone is having a hardware issue would be to compare it to another VZW Windows 8x. If you're able to visit a VZW corporate store, try comparing it to one there.

Let me know if you need further assistance.

MarquiaF_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes