Hey, Verizon! Where's the 7392 (security) update???
hopmedic
Contributor - Level 3

Has anyone else noticed that the phone finds no updates for the 7392 (May) security update?

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Hey, Verizon! Where's the 7392 (security) update???
M-Kohlman
Enthusiast - Level 3

mooreshelby wrote:

I wanted to followup on this and see if anyone has seen the 7392 update yet, I am still running 7389 here. Microsoft's Where's my Update page does not list Verizon, just says All other operators which it says are being delivered. Thanks all for the feedback.

-Shelby

MS added Verizon today, the 7392 Update is listed for Verizon as "planning"

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsphone/en-us/features/update-schedule-usa.aspx

- Michael

View solution in original post

0 Likes
ArnettH_VZW
Verizon Employee

Hello hopmedic,

May I ask what type of device you have? I'm a little unsure as to what you are asking? May I have you elaborate.

Thank you...

0 Likes
hopmedic
Contributor - Level 3

ArnettH_VZW wrote:

Hello hopmedic,

May I ask what type of device you have? I'm a little unsure as to what you are asking? May I have you elaborate.

Thank you...

The Verizon Trophy - the only WP7 device you have (This is the Windows Phone forum)  :smileywink:

The 7392 update is the security update that Microsoft pushed out at the beginning of the month.  This phone doesn't have it.

0 Likes
M-Kohlman
Enthusiast - Level 3

hopmedic wrote:

ArnettH_VZW wrote:

Hello hopmedic,

Thank you...

The Verizon Trophy - the only WP7 device you have (This is the Windows Phone forum)  :smileywink:

The 7392 update is the security update that Microsoft pushed out at the beginning of the month.  This phone doesn't have it.

hopmedic,

Given the quality of Verizon's reply here I thought I'd provide some kind of update:

First the Good News:

Microsoft has a dedicated page that provides regular updates on where the carriers are at with WP7 updates at any given time.  The page is located here:

www.microsoft.com/windowsphone/en-us/features/update-schedule-usa.aspx

As of this evening, MS has added the status for Build 7392 (which is the build that updates the certifcate issue)

Now the Bad News:

Verizon is not yet on the list for U.S. carriers.  After asking around the understanding that I've been given is that Verizon is not yet "testing" the 7392 Build for the trophy and therefore they are not yet on the list.  Supposedly they will be added to the U.S. carrier update page "soon".  Until then I would not hold my breath.

For those that are new to the MS Update Policy for WP7, let me try to provide a brief overview:

Microsoft's update policy is something of a middle-ground compromise between how Apple handles their updates (i.e. Apple controls the process and pushes out the updates when they are ready to do so)  and Google (which does updates of the O/S and leaves when (or even if) those updates get pushed out by a carrier of manufacturer.

In MS's case, they push out the updates (like Apple), BUT they don't push the update out until the carrier gives the go-ahead to do so.  Carriers have the ability to "skip" ONE update, so they are not required to do every update that is released, but they must never be more than 2 revisions behind whatever is the most current version that is compatable with the Phone's hardware.

So, for example, Verizon could choose to "skip" 7392 on the Trophy if they wanted to but if they choose to do so, they will have no choice but to release Mango the Trophy when it is released.  Or they could do 7392 here in the near Future and then choose to skip Mango (though that would be unlikely).  So far no carrier has excercised this option, but it is in the agreement that MS has with the carriers and manufacturers.

And last, just like all Windows Desktop and Server "service packs", all WP7 updates are cumulative, so 7392 would also include all the updates in 7390 and 7008, even if those two updates where never installed to your Phone.

- Michael

0 Likes
hopmedic
Contributor - Level 3

M-Kohlman wrote:

hopmedic wrote:

ArnettH_VZW wrote:

Hello hopmedic,

Thank you...

hopmedic,

Given the quality of Verizon's reply here I thought I'd provide some kind of update:

First the Good News:

Microsoft has a dedicated page that provides regular updates on where the carriers are at with WP7 updates at any given time.  The page is located here:

www.microsoft.com/windowsphone/en-us/features/update-schedule-usa.aspx

As of this evening, MS has added the status for Build 7392 (which is the build that updates the certifcate issue)

Now the Bad News:

Verizon is not yet on the list for U.S. carriers.  After asking around the understanding that I've been given is that Verizon is not yet "testing" the 7392 Build for the trophy and therefore they are not yet on the list.  Supposedly they will be added to the U.S. carrier update page "soon".  Until then I would not hold my breath.

For those that are new to the MS Update Policy for WP7, let me try to provide a brief overview:

Microsoft's update policy is something of a middle-ground compromise between how Apple handles their updates (i.e. Apple controls the process and pushes out the updates when they are ready to do so)  and Google (which does updates of the O/S and leaves when (or even if) those updates get pushed out by a carrier of manufacturer.

In MS's case, they push out the updates (like Apple), BUT they don't push the update out until the carrier gives the go-ahead to do so.  Carriers have the ability to "skip" ONE update, so they are not required to do every update that is released, but they must never be more than 2 revisions behind whatever is the most current version that is compatable with the Phone's hardware.

So, for example, Verizon could choose to "skip" 7392 on the Trophy if they wanted to but if they choose to do so, they will have no choice but to release Mango the Trophy when it is released.  Or they could do 7392 here in the near Future and then choose to skip Mango (though that would be unlikely).  So far no carrier has excercised this option, but it is in the agreement that MS has with the carriers and manufacturers.

And last, just like all Windows Desktop and Server "service packs", all WP7 updates are cumulative, so 7392 would also include all the updates in 7390 and 7008, even if those two updates where never installed to your Phone.

- Michael

Ah - I had forgotten about the update status website.  Thanks.

As far as cumulative updates, it's not quite like that.  I have updated two Samsung Foci, and both did the same thing the first time I hooked them up: Installed the Feb update, installed NoDo, then installed 7392.  They were three separate updates, not all wrapped in one.  I believe by cumulative, they mean that when you install 7392, for instance, 7390 will install prior to 7392, so you will get all the updates.

0 Likes
M-Kohlman
Enthusiast - Level 3

Ah - I had forgotten about the update status website.  Thanks.

As far as cumulative updates, it's not quite like that.  I have updated two Samsung Foci, and both did the same thing the first time I hooked them up: Installed the Feb update, installed NoDo, then installed 7392.  They were three separate updates, not all wrapped in one.  I believe by cumulative, they mean that when you install 7392, for instance, 7390 will install prior to 7392, so you will get all the updates.

Actually the updates are cumulative and you are also right, with the Focus (I own one as well, my Wife now has a Trophy and I'm testing a few Trophies in a corporate setting because of their Global capability) most Carriers chose to push all the updates consecutively.  They did not have to do it that way though. as all newer "builds" do carry all the code/fixes from all previous builds.

The first round of updates frankly were a mess, with NoDo (Build 7390) being done shortly after Thanksgiving.  Scuttlebut was that MS hit major resistance from the Carriers (especially U.S. Carriers) in getting the update pushed out because most Carriers like to take 6-12 months to test a new O/S and like to be able to refuse to update older product.  In addition, some manufacturers like Samsung played a bit fast and loose with the hardware specs and as a result some of the "Builds" didn't push out correctly when the time came.

I think this has been a learning process for all actually.  MS has gotten a lot more cautious about announcing that they have released an update before making sure that the Carriers are "in line" with the update being released, and I think the Carriers are beginning to learn that blocking an update for a year because they want people to buy the latest product isn't going to work anymore either.

The real acid test will be with Mango, as MS is already stating publicly that Mango WILL be comptable with all currently released Windows 7 Phones and that they will not be charging for the Update.  The sense I get is that they are already laying the groundwork for insulating themselves if certain Carriers drag their heels on providing Manago when it is released.

0 Likes
hopmedic
Contributor - Level 3

M-Kohlman wrote:
Actually the updates are cumulative and you are also right, with the Focus (I own one as well, my Wife now has a Trophy and I'm testing a few Trophies in a corporate setting because of their Global capability) most Carriers chose to push all the updates consecutively.  They did not have to do it that way though. as all newer "builds" do carry all the code/fixes from all previous builds.

The first round of updates frankly were a mess, with NoDo (Build 7390) being done shortly after Thanksgiving.  Scuttlebut was that MS hit major resistance from the Carriers (especially U.S. Carriers) in getting the update pushed out because most Carriers like to take 6-12 months to test a new O/S and like to be able to refuse to update older product.  In addition, some manufacturers like Samsung played a bit fast and loose with the hardware specs and as a result some of the "Builds" didn't push out correctly when the time came.

I think this has been a learning process for all actually.  MS has gotten a lot more cautious about announcing that they have released an update before making sure that the Carriers are "in line" with the update being released, and I think the Carriers are beginning to learn that blocking an update for a year because they want people to buy the latest product isn't going to work anymore either.

The real acid test will be with Mango, as MS is already stating publicly that Mango WILL be comptable with all currently released Windows 7 Phones and that they will not be charging for the Update.  The sense I get is that they are already laying the groundwork for insulating themselves if certain Carriers drag their heels on providing Manago when it is released.

Ok - didn't know that about the updates - was only going by my experience.  I had heard that they were cumulative, but my experience didn't seem to indicate that was accurate. 

Yes, the first round was a mess, with some phones being bricked.  I can imagine MS did hit resistance.  And yes, it has been a learning curve for all.  Hopefully the carriers have learned that no one from this point on will be satisfied with a phone that is perpetually in the same state that it was in at time of purchase, and that they need to allow for those updates, as people will no longer tolerate being locked into a phone for two years that can't be updated.  Hopefully.  Verizon, can you hear me now?  :smileywink:

Yes, Mango will be a big test.  We will find out whether the carriers really do listen.  And no, you can't blame Microsoft for wanting to insulate themselves from the anger that will result from people not being able to update their phones.  Personally, I think they are wise to have started talking about Mango so early, and that people will (rightfully) direct their anger at carriers should they not get the update in a timely manner. 

Personally, I'm looking forward to Mango, as I have already played with a few of the features in the emulator, crippled as the emulator is.  One thing I'm thankful for is that MS has stated that they will be getting Mango to developers ahead of launch.  I surely hope that isn't carrier dependent. 

0 Likes
mooreshelby
Enthusiast - Level 3

I wanted to followup on this and see if anyone has seen the 7392 update yet, I am still running 7389 here. Microsoft's Where's my Update page does not list Verizon, just says All other operators which it says are being delivered. Thanks all for the feedback.

-Shelby

0 Likes
M-Kohlman
Enthusiast - Level 3

mooreshelby wrote:

-Shelby

MS added Verizon today, the 7392 Update is listed for Verizon as "planning"

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsphone/en-us/features/update-schedule-usa.aspx

- Michael

0 Likes
Tarin13

Is there any update on this? It's been over a month and the status on Microsoft's "Where's my update?" page still says "Planning"...

0 Likes