How do I restore text messages (Nokia Lumia 822)?
anne2233

My Nokia Lumia 822 went crazy and lost all my contacts, text messages, and email accounts.  I restored my contacts and set-up my emails accounts again, but how do I restore my text messages?  I've always had "text message backup" on (Settings>applications>messaging>Text message backup>On), so I should be able to restore them, right?  Where do I restore them FROM?

Thanks!

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: How do I restore text messages (Nokia Lumia 822)?
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

anne2233,

I'm sorry to learn that your phone went a bit crazy. I'm glad you were able to restore the most of your information. When your phone was acting up, did you have to do a master reset and erase the phone or did you just restore your information? If you have enable the text message backup, messages should restore after powercycling. My concern is that because the phone didn't go through a reset, your phone may simply think you deleted the messages. If you have not been able to restore the messages, I would recommend backing up your information once more and completing a master reset. This will allow you to restore your information through the setup. http://vz.to/1jQTdDx

AndreaS_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
anne2233

I did not do a master reset on my phone.  It was freezing up and, when I let it sit for a while, it just fixed itself and I received an error message saying that my email accounts had to be set up again.  So, I did.  I then noticed that my contacts were gone.  So, I imported those from backup.  I then noticed that my texts messages were gone.  So, I was trying to find where to get those and import them from backup, since I had BACKUP turned on.  EVERYTHING else was fine.  All my apps, everything else was fine.

WHERE do I restore my text messages FROM?  Text message backup was turned on -- so my question is, where are they backed up to?  Where do I import them from?

I DO NOT want to do a master reset because it will delete EVERYTHING -- lesson learned and I will not do that.  Why would my phone think I deleted all my texts?  What could I have done to have it think that?  I didn't do anything. 

Why should I backup my information again -- which will override any existing text message backup that would have my missing text messages -- and risk losing everything?  This makes no sense.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Thank you for this info, anne2233. Did you use Backup Assistant Plus, or the default backup service found through your 822?

If it is through the default backup service, I believe that text messages can only be retrieved via a factory reset. You will be asked if you wish to recover your texts once this step is performed.

http://bit.ly/1gAUGyp

I understand if you do not want to go the master reset route, and that is definitely odd that they just disappeared like that.

NicandroN_VZW

Follow us on twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes