I'm sick of this. When is the update for Windows phone 8 coming so we can use the phone we paid so dearly for.
JenniferG57
Enthusiast - Level 1

I'm sick of this. When is the update  for Windows phone 8 coming so we can use the phone we paid so dearly for.

Labels (1)
Re: I'm sick of this. When is the update  for Windows phone 8 coming so we can use the phone we paid so dearly for.
Not applicable

Can you make and receive phone calls?

Can you access the data network?

If you can you are getting what you paid for.

No update is guaranteed for any device. It functioned when you purchased it and it functions now.

If and when any update is done it is a bonus.

Good Luck

0 Likes
Re: I'm sick of this. When is the update  for Windows phone 8 coming so we can use the phone we paid so dearly for.
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

JenniferG57,
I understand your excitement! I don't have any release details however, you can periodically check our News Center here http://bit.ly/n5snpq for any updated alerts. Please share if you are experiencing any issues with your device. Thank you.

TominqueBo_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
Re: I'm sick of this. When is the update for Windows phone 8 coming so we can use the phone we paid so dearly for.
gernerttl
Contributor - Level 1

Has anybody running WP8.0 gotten this update?

If so, it is the pre-updated needed to update to WP8.1/Cyan.

0 Likes
Wineman89
Enthusiast - Level 2

Actually if an update helps increase our security on the phone, then you would think Verizon would want that. If something where to happen, like my email getting hacked for instance, due to a flaw that could've been fixed/closed with the update, I would be pretty ticked off.

I know when I try logging in my gmail from my phone it always shows a warning (Some devices and apps use insecure sign-in technology to access your data.) and blocks the attempt.

Some examples of apps that do not support the latest security standards include:

• The Mail app on your iPhone or iPad with iOS 6 or below
  • The Mail app on your Windows phone preceding the 8.1 release
  • Some Desktop mail clients like Microsoft Outlook and Mozilla Thunderbird

So, you don't think it's a reasonable expectation to be able to safely check our email on our phone? I do!

0 Likes
Not applicable

Wineman89 wrote:

Actually if an update helps increase our security on the phone, then you would think Verizon would want that. If something where to happen, like my email getting hacked for instance, due to a flaw that could've been fixed/closed with the update, I would be pretty ticked off.

I know when I try logging in my gmail from my phone it always shows a warning (Some devices and apps use insecure sign-in technology to access your data.) and blocks the attempt.

GMail does their own security for their apps. So not a worry there.

Some examples of apps that do not support the latest security standards include:

• The Mail app on your iPhone or iPad with iOS 6 or below

I know of no users that are running ios that far behind. Apple is pretty good at security updates.

• The Mail app on your Windows phone preceding the 8.1 release
  • Some Desktop mail clients like Microsoft Outlook and Mozilla Thunderbird

This would not affect Mobile phones running these programs.

So, you don't think it's a reasonable expectation to be able to safely check our email on our phone? I do!

I believe any serious security flaws would come as a separate update. The update people are yelling for is Cyan. I do not know other than cosmetic updates to make apps work better, or a helper voice, (like Siri on my apple) or some program enhancements.

However it will be released or not when Verizon and other carriers are ready to release it, or not release it. Just look at the Apple iOS 8.0.1 fiasco. I am glad I was too busy to get a patch that made the device worse than the issues I spent fixing on the iOS 8 update.

Sometimes updates cause more issues than they fix.

I answered in Bold and underline.Smiley Happy

Re: I'm sick of this. When is the update for Windows phone 8 coming so we can use the phone we paid so dearly for.
JenniferG57
Enthusiast - Level 1

I could care less about talking phones and all that fluff. Windows phone 8.0 is running an out dated version of Internet Explorer and is not compatible with many websites including Verizon's own site

Verizon and/or MS/Nokia will not let Chrome, Firefox or any secure browser run on their Windows 8.0 phone. Many websites are virtually unusable and we pay a premium for the access to these sites. Just to be able to reply to this thread from my phone I have had to do many tweaks that are completely unnecessary. It's time to at least update to an IE version that's usable!

Not applicable

That is strange. I wonder why you cannot use any browser you like.

I don't have that problem.

I would go after Microsoft who makes the Internet Explorer browser.

On that issue I can say it is not right. But I don't know or could I guess why the browser of choice could not be used as with your Windows or Mac desktops.

Thanks for telling me that. I learned something else today.

Not applicable

Or be available as an updated app as the other browsers do with other devices. In the Windows Phone Store. Crazy I would say.

0 Likes
Wineman89
Enthusiast - Level 2

The Gmail app is what I was talking about when I copy/pasted the piece from the email they sent. If it's not a worry then why do they block me from signing in with my phone? They specifically mention the mail app preceding 8.1 does not support the latest security standards.

I should've deleted the lines about iPhone and Thunderbird in that portion I copy/pasted instead of just bolding the information I was referring too. My main concerns with updates is security, added functionality, better performance (like better battery life). Cosmetic stuff is nice, but not really worried about that. Also, I'm not all that worried about Cortana. It looks nice, but it's something that, for now at least, I wouldn't use too much.

Still though, there was misleading information when I was trying to decide on what to use my upgrade on. The simulator was showing the 8.1 version of the phone with Cortana and when I received my phone I assumed the upgrade would be ready to install. I still like my phone and all, but feel a bit deceived by it and the fact they won't give us any sorta time frame doesn't help.

I know after this contract is up, and if I decide to stay with Verizon, I will definitely do more off-site researching since I won't trust their info now.