Icon user here chiming in on lack of support from Verizon
OhmsFutility
Enthusiast - Level 1

As everyone else, I've been waiting patiently for Verizon to release the 8.1/Cyan update for the Lumia Icon since JULY. I've shared the same frustrations that have been expressed on this forum countless times over the past months, but never felt the need to chime in until now.

I've been a Verizon customer for around 5 years, starting with a Windows Mobile Omnia 2 and later going through an HTC Trophy, a Lumia 928 and now the Icon (since March). In all cases save for the 928, Verizon's support has been anywhere from non-existent to downright ignorant (Omnia 2 suffered from countless issues network connectivity-wise, which Verizon never managed to solve, Trophy never received the WP 7.8 update, and the Icon not only has been waiting for the 8.1/Cyan update for several months, but also got discontinued in about half a year after release. 928 at least received the Amber update in a timely fashion, but of course has also suffered from the same lack of support that the Icon owners have gone through.) To add insult to injury, Verizon has also offered far fewer options for Windows Phones over  the years than other carriers have.

Despite all of these issues over the years, I always justified staying with Verizon due to my perception that their coverage was unparalleled. As I'm in the military and thus move around a lot, this was very important to me. So much so that I even chose to upgrade to the Icon instead of switching to AT&T despite currently being stationed in WV where Verizon doesn't even operate it's own network, causing me to have serious connectivity issues all over the place. I figured I'm only gonna be in the area for so long, and when I leave for some other assignment, I'd be glad I stayed with the superior network.

Well, times have changed. First of all, when I first signed up for Verizon, AT&T's network (at least in the areas where I worked at the time) had a very poor reputation. Now, five years later, I've been hearing nothing but good things about them. Supposedly Verizon's network is on average a bit faster, but coverage and reliability-wise they seem to be very close. As long as I can get a decent signal wherever I go, I really don't care if my speeds are a little bit slower. I'll use my computer and ISP for anything that requires high speeds.

I was still willing to give Verizon a pass on the delays with Cyan as long as they released it by the end of the year, but my eyes were opened by two events, one of which just happened today. First, was the very abrupt discontinuation of the Icon, THE flagship Windows Phone device. Then today I walked into the Verizon corporate store in Petaluma, CA (currently training in the nearby area) asking if they had any information about the timeline for the Cyan update. The guy at first seemed friendly and went into the back to talk to someone with more knowledge on the matter. He then came back and told me the most far-fetched line yet. He said Microsoft was discontinuing the Lumia phones and going forward was only going to provide updates to the HTC and Samsung models. Whatever the case, Verizon was not responsible for the updates. I couldn't help but laugh at the absurdity of this nonsense, and told him No, Microsoft bought Nokia, and the Lumia devices were simply being rebranded as Microsoft. In no way shape or form are they being discontinued. Well, he must have been insulted by getting corrected, because he then said to me and I quote: "I don't know, why don't you just go read about it on the internet then.", and began to walk away.

I have come to realize I've been putting up with Verizon's ignorance and lack of support of the Windows Phone platform for half a decade because of an illusion of supposedly better service! After all this time they haven't changed their ways and show now signs of changing. Sticking with Verizon is only going to result in more headaches, delays and disappointments. After my encounter with the representative in the previous paragraph, I stopped him and asked to talk to the manager, because I wanted to make sure I was getting the most authoritative answer I could get to my next question. I wanted to confirm that as a Verizon Edge customer, if I paid off my device in full, I could leave their network for another provider at any time (somehow I overlooked this fact when I signed up in March. I chose Edge simply to give me more flexibility with upgrading my phone), and she confirmed this was the case.

So to conclude, I have decided to wait until the end of the year. If by then Verizon has not at the very least provided a firm date for my Lumia Icon to receive the Denim (yes, Denim. After all this time, only updating to Cyan is not going to redeem them in my eyes) update, I will pay off my Icon, and switch to AT&T. Quite frankly, even then I think there is a high chance I will end up switching after my phone has been paid off in the normal timeline, because I feel there is no basis for me to trust Verizon with behaving any better in the future, but if they want to have any hope of me staying on as a customer, I better have a firm date for the Denim update by 2359 on 31DEC2014. I can understand delays, but I will not stand for Verizon's lack of communication to their customers. In the end I will vote with my wallet.

Labels (1)
Re: Icon user here chiming in on lack of support from Verizon
westpac690
Enthusiast - Level 1

I'm a pretty patient guy but the fact that the Icon not only has been discontinued by seemingly is not getting the cyan update is ridiculous.  I upgraded from the HTC 8X TO the Icon because I wanted a slightly larger screen, more memory and the camera is amazing.  And the 8X is getting Cyan but the Icon isn't?  Ridiculous.

Alright so I don't get 8.1 on my NEW phone I can deal with that, windows phone 8 works fine,  what I'm livid about is the obvious deceptive tactics of Verizon by eluding that the Icon would get Cyan.  So I decide to upgrade my phone, do my research decide on the Icon instead of the HTC M8 because of size and the camera, and no mention anywhere of it being discontinued or no update.  I walk into Verizon, talk to the rep, still, no word about either.  So here I sit with a brand new phone I like, that will not receive upgraded software. My wife and I each have an Icon and love Windows Phone, needless to say as soon as we're out of the 2 year contract we will be switching to AT&T. 

Raptor8x
Enthusiast - Level 2

Hi westpac690, if it helps you feel any better, the Lumia Cyan update is firmware specific to Nokia phones only.  The only difference between the new HTC M8 have Windows Phone 8.1 and the Icon not having it is not the firmware, but the OS itself.  Unfortunately for us Icon users, it seems there's a startling lack of responsibility on both sides of the fence (Verizon & Nokia/Microsoft) as far as communicating with user and each other.  Hopefully, we will get that update soon.  In the meantime, the only way to get Windows Phone 8.1 on your Icon is to breech the warranty by installing the Developer's Preview.  I've heard some good things about it, and while I'm hesitant to breech my warranty, I may do just that once I have it paid off. 

grafixguy
Contributor - Level 2

Using the developer preview DOES NOT void the warranty!

Raptor8x
Enthusiast - Level 2

Odd, I've been told by several Verizon reps that it does.

0 Likes
grafixguy
Contributor - Level 2

They can claim it does all they want. The stipulation they're using is that of unauthorized software being installed. They'll have a hard time proving DP is not authorized since it's directly from Microsoft.

0 Likes
Tidbits
Legend

Did you read the EULA when you installed DP? There's a gotcha in there about the warranty. If it doent affect the warranty on any possible scenario there is no reason a warranty clause or warning would be in it.

I would double check it but I have no devices that don't have DP already installed and I am not going to downgrade any of the ones that still run preview.

0 Likes
Re: Re: Icon user here chiming in on lack of support from Verizon
Tidbits
Legend

Here you go I found an ONLINE copy from MS. I highlighted the subsection in red.  Just that section right there does not guarantee you will have a warranty as long as the DP is installed.

7. Disclaimer of warranties

1. General. To the maximum extent permitted by law, the Deliverables are provided to you “as is” and with all faults. You bear the entire risk of using the Deliverables. Except as provided herein, Microsoft, on behalf of itself, its licensors and its suppliers, expressly disclaims all other express, implied, or statutory warranties. This includes the warranties of merchantability, fitness for a particular purpose, title and non-infringement. Microsoft, its licensors and its suppliers do not warrant that the Deliverables are error free or that operation of the Windows Phones will be secure or uninterrupted.
  2. INSTALLING WINDOWS PHONE SOFTWARE ON A WINDOWS PHONE THAT YOU OWN.
  3.   BY INSTALLING WINDOWS PHONE SOFTWARE UPDATES AVAILABLE THROUGH THIS PROGRAM, THE FOLLOWING MAY OCCUR:
    1. YOU WILL LIKELY VOID ANY APPLICABLE OEM, ODM OR MOBILE OPERATOR WARRANTY FOR THAT PHONE.
    2. YOU MAY CAUSE IRREPARABLE HARM TO YOUR PHONE, INCLUDING LOSS OF ALL DATA. DATA INCLUDES SMS MESSAGES, GAME INFORMATION AND APPLICATION INFORMATION, AS WELL AS MUSIC, VIDEOS, PHOTOS AND EMAIL. ADDITIONAL DATA NOT LISTED HERE MAY ALSO BE LOST.
  4. YOU AGREE TO WAIVE ANY SUPPORT FOR YOUR WINDOWS PHONE FROM THE MANUFACTURER OF YOUR WINDOWS PHONE AND MOBILE OPERATOR OF THE NETWORK THAT YOUR WINDOWS PHONE WORKS ON. YOU AGREE TO WAIVE ANY RIGHT TO RETURN YOUR WINDOWS PHONE TO YOUR APPLICABLE OEM, ODM OR MOBILE OPERATOR.
Re: Re: Icon user here chiming in on lack of support from Verizon
grafixguy
Contributor - Level 2

They put that there to cover their own butts. It would never stand up.

0 Likes
primortal
Master - Level 1

You can always go the play dumb route and never mention you installed the preview for developers when reporting a problem with the phone

0 Likes