Re: Is Verizon Wireless trying ot Annihilate Windows?
Gantenbergh
Enthusiast - Level 1

its funny that that with all this talk about the FM tuner, nobody has mentioned the fact that the Lumia 822 also has it built it, and that the 928 is the only lumia in VZW that does not have that feature. I will admit that I am a windows fanboy, I love the product and I love how stable it is compared to android. I have had 5 Andorid device in the past few years and none of them have been very solid. every one has flaked on me by crashing and that has been from multiple manufactures.... Samsung / Moto / HTC . and Apple I wont even go there with there proprietary monopoly and their limited capabilities, sorry apple u just don't make the cut for my needs. android was ok but not stable and when I switched over to Windows, it was the best day of my phone life, its been solid and a great product. I own all 3 of VZW Lumia devices and they are all amazing pieces of tech. I even dropped my 928 in a creek and it was soaked, but it came back up fully functional without any issues. (that's the power of Nokia baby). I have installed the DP on all my devices and they all work seamlessly, so if the DP works fine then whats wrong with the final release and why is it being held up?

thanks for hearing my short rant. .

Tidbits
Legend

Gantenbergh wrote:

its funny that that with all this talk about the FM tuner, nobody has mentioned the fact that the Lumia 822 also has it built it, and that the 928 is the only lumia in VZW that does not have that feature. I will admit that I am a windows fanboy, I love the product and I love how stable it is compared to android. I have had 5 Andorid device in the past few years and none of them have been very solid. every one has flaked on me by crashing and that has been from multiple manufactures.... Samsung / Moto / HTC . and Apple I wont even go there with there proprietary monopoly and their limited capabilities, sorry apple u just don't make the cut for my needs. android was ok but not stable and when I switched over to Windows, it was the best day of my phone life, its been solid and a great product. I own all 3 of VZW Lumia devices and they are all amazing pieces of tech. I even dropped my 928 in a creek and it was soaked, but it came back up fully functional without any issues. (that's the power of Nokia baby). I have installed the DP on all my devices and they all work seamlessly, so if the DP works fine then whats wrong with the final release and why is it being held up?

thanks for hearing my short rant. .

I regards to their OS I see no difference between Apple and Microsoft.  You are stuck to their respecitve ecosystems.  Android as well(Albeit they are fixated to a particular desktop OS and give options on that account).

0 Likes
primortal
Master - Level 1

Gantenbergh wrote:

its funny that that with all this talk about the FM tuner, nobody has mentioned the fact that the Lumia 822 also has it built it, and that the 928 is the only lumia in VZW that does not have that feature.

It's because Nokia didn't include the hardware for the FM radio in the 928.  Not to defend VZW but they weren't the ones that purposely removed it.  Read this post, Re: Lumia 928 - FM radio, Why did you not enable i... - Nokia Support Discussions

0 Likes
Re: Re: Is Verizon Wireless trying ot Annihilate Windows?
kburgoyne
Enthusiast - Level 2

You are stuck to their respecitve ecosystems

True, but I don't see any way around that for any of them.  In order to innovate they need to be in control of their ecosystem.  The strength of the Microsoft ecosystem is that it opens out into the bigger PC world better than the others.  Unfortunately Microsoft doesn't always seem to leverage that as fully as they could.  For example, why is text messaging separate from Outlook?  Text messaging should be integrated into the Outlook cross-platform sharing system.

When a text arrives on my cell it should go into an Outlook folder.  Outlook can then upload that message to Live.  Live can then download that message to my PC.  I could start managing texts using the same features Outlook provides for emails.  I could also send text messages (particularly replies) from my desktop/notebook.  I'd write the message under Outlook on my PC.  Outlook would upload it to Live.  Live would download it to my cell.  My cell would send it.

If I'm sitting working at my PC, why would I want to do something slow and clunky like reply to a message using the cell phone's limited keyboard and display?  I'd much rather use my PC's lovely full size keyboard and big dual monitors.  Besides, I'd be using Outlook to organize the messages anyway.  Dragging then into folders, etc.  I know a lot of people who have the concept of "Inbox" and "Done" folders (or typically multiple variations of "done" folders).  Those messages that prompt us to perform some action, we leave in our "inbox" as a reminder.  Once we're taken care of the action, we move the message to a "done" folder.

0 Likes
Re: Re: Is Verizon Wireless trying ot Annihilate Windows?
kburgoyne
Enthusiast - Level 2

...and another thing.  Smiley Happy  Microsoft could have another killer feature if they implemented wireless localized "remote desktop sharing" of the phone's "desktop" just like RDP between PCs.  I want to plop my Nokia down on its wireless charger next to my PC.  Then I want to open a window on my PC that displays my Nokia's UI and let's me control it.

I can envision where there might be "awkwardness" trying to control the phone's UI using a PC mouse when it comes to multi-touch operations.  Those of us who have done Windows Phone app development using PCs with only mice know the problem.  However more and more Windows 8.1 desktop systems are coming out with multi-touch displays.

There are various innovations like these where Microsoft could beat-out the competition.  Apple doesn't have the existing infrastructure to pursue the Outlook/texts integration idea without ending up relying upon Outlook.  I don't think Apple has the desktop sharing infrastructure as well established in their technology as Microsoft (I could be wrong about that).

0 Likes
jnetSYNATK
Enthusiast - Level 2

MS is headed in the right direction. First they bought Nokia which was a very smart move. Nokia flagship phones down right beat Apple and Android hardware, no contest, not to mention WP 8.1 makes iOS 8/Android OS look/feel 10 years dated.

MS should also gravitate to making one Nokia Flagship phone, which they are probably already working on, which would unify the MS phone market exactly like the iPhone. I believe that if this happend, you would see a huge boost in the WP market. Right now it is just too fragmented to compete. Plus with carriers like Verizon down playing the WP like its inferior doesn't help matters.

One should note, that everyone I have shown 8.1 Dev Preview to on my Icon has been floored with what it can do that the iPhone can't and how it can be seemlessy integrated into your PC, Xbox One, Surface. MS is on the right path. With Windows Threshhold coming in the future which will unify all MS platforms, I am going to say that this will be the deal breaker. JS.

Not applicable

Should you get an iPhone 6 or Android, BlackBerry, or Windows Phone? | iMore

It would seem Apple is still the one to beat.

Add in seem less air printing as well.

Compare them all ! Enjoy

kburgoyne
Enthusiast - Level 2

I guess Elector came here to iAdvertise.

primortal
Master - Level 1

Elector wrote:

Should you get an iPhone 6 or Android, BlackBerry, or Windows Phone? | iMore

It would seem Apple is still the one to beat.

Add in seem less air printing as well.

Compare them all ! Enjoy

Really man... This site is pro apple site what would you expect the outcome to be .   Not bios at all   #FAIL

Tidbits
Legend

In fairness using sites like windows phone and such can be considered the same type of bias right? Like Android Authority. Then you also have to start considering... If the writer biased.

In all fairness any review will ALWAYS be biased towards themselves. There's various things between 4 different platforms I wish I could have, but I settle for Android because it gives me more than others. If Windows phone did some more things or allowed me to do certain things(can't because they are proprietary) I would be all over Windows Phone.

When I have friends ask me for advice on phones I tell them. Give them all a chance and pick a budget. Play around with them and don't listen to the marketing and don't take what a rep says as like it was a gift of god.