Re: Is Verizon going to get any new Windows phones in 2016 or 2017?
pherson
Champion - Level 1

Then I guess you will be leaving because the current devices do NOT have the radio band to work on Verizon. Period.

0 Likes
Tidbits
Legend

The manufacturers can make it work. If they choose not to pay the CDMA licensing(which goes to Qualcomm) then its on the manufacturer and not Verizon. The 950 and 950XL Microsoft chose not to. There are plenty of manufacturers our there that paid their own and works on Verizon.

0 Likes
dexman
Community Leader
Community Leader

I was, initially, hopeful that Verizon Wireless customers, wanting a high end Windows Mobile device, would get their chance when Microsoft introduces the Surface Phone next year.

Since then, I have grown pessimistic. This stems from several observations...

1) The last group of Lumia Phones are GSM only.

2) HP and Alcatel's new Windows Mobile devices are, also, GSM only.

3) CDMA certification costs more than GSM certification.

4) Verizon Wireless is undergoing a network upgrade. Completion is said to be in 2019.

My gut feeling is that, new Windows Mobile devices won't be coming to Verizon Wireless until the next generation network is up & running, and, the CDMA network has been capped. OEMs just don't want to spend the extra money for CDMA if sales figures are going to be disappointing.

With Microsoft reportedly ready to discontinue the Lumia family...including the 735...that would mean that Verizon Wireless will not have any WM units for the near term, unless, someone fills the void.

0 Likes
dexman
Community Leader
Community Leader

I'm starting to see reports on Google that Microsoft has stopped selling Lumia phones in the US and some other countries. That means it won't be long now before the 735 drops off of Verizon Wireless's website.

0 Likes
Tidbits
Legend

I assume it'll be the new line

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

dexman We certainly want you to have the phone you like or need. Are you currently looking for a Lumia device? We are here to assist you.

DeloresK_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the �Correct Answer� button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
dexman
Community Leader
Community Leader

No, Deloris.

I recently purchased a Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge to replace my failing Samsung Galaxy S4.

The purpose of this topic is to simply point out that all Windows Mobile OEMs are opting to forgo CDMA certification due to high cost coupled with low sales volume.

This puts customers of Verizon Wireless, Sprint and US Cellular who are interested in giving a Windows Mobile phone...such as the Lumia 950, 950XL and HP Elite X3...in the position of either switching to a GSM carrier...such as at&t...or...staying put, use some other device and hope that an OEM will, eventually, get around to making a decent device for the above mentioned carriers before the WM's market share drops to 0.

0 Likes