Is it worth waiting for 8.1? Should I just give up and DL dev preview? (Lumia Icon)
darney992

As we all know Verizon hasn't uttered a word about 8.1. In fact it looks like some of us may never even see the update. We know the HTC 8x is getting it but it looks like us Lumia Icon users may never see it as Verizon just discontinued it. (8x gets it icon doesn't wtf?) So what do you guys think, is it worth it to continue waiting or should I just say Fck it and download the dev preview?

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Is it worth waiting for 8.1? Should I just give up and DL dev preview? (Lumia Icon)
drako357
Enthusiast - Level 2

I am a developer and need to run 8.1 which I downloaded back in August and although initially there were some issues after several updates it has been running stable for the past month.  I do have some issues running Verizon's Navigator App, but overall I am very happy with the 8.1 Dev Preview.

0 Likes
Re: Is it worth waiting for 8.1? Should I just give up and DL dev preview? (Lumia Icon)
jdpg2
Enthusiast - Level 2

Personally I think its time to leave Verizon.  I have 4 phones on my plan (2 iPhone and 2 windows phones) with them and I was even thinking about making the switch to fios.  I purchased my 928 and icon (both now run the 8.1 dev preview)  with the expectation that they would be kept up to date in a reasonable time frame.  That hasn't happened and since 3 of my devices qualify for upgrades I will eat the cost on the 4th and make the switch. At this point a company that cant be honest and communicate with its users doesn't deserve my dollars. 

It appears AT&T supports the windows platform and are even expand their Windows offerings.  The only way to show Verizon that the windows phone community is serious is with our $$$$.  bye bye Verizon Smiley Sad.

primortal
Master - Level 1

Not to derail this topic even more.  I'm in the same boat if VZW isn't going to be supporting Windows Phone nor communicate with the customers you know the ones that give them their great quarterly profits.  I'll be dumping my two lines, two land line and FiOS in the very near future and paying whatever ETF's that come up and heading over to AT&T.

darney92
Enthusiast - Level 1

darney992 here. I forgot my password and the email sent to me to change my pw doesn't contain a link to reset your pw. Fun. Anyway I heard if you download the dev preview all of your nokia apps will disappear? If so couldn't you just re download them from the app store? I really don't want to loose the nokia camera it's miles better than windows. Also I heard that if you have the dev preview you will have to downgrade to get any official firmware or future software updates?

0 Likes
vzwenduser
Contributor - Level 2

Does the Dev Preview breach insurance contract or the edge program contract?

0 Likes
jdpg2
Enthusiast - Level 2

Not that I am aware of... I have  been running it since day one without issue.  As far as I am concerned Verizon has voided any thing already by ignoring their customers and providing poor support to them.

0 Likes
darney92
Enthusiast - Level 1

It does void warranty. What I want to know is if your nokia apps will disappear until you get the official firmware. Iv'e heard that all the nokia apps will be gone until you get official firmware but that sounds kinda fishy to me. Still don't want to risk loosing my awesome nokia camera app though. Anyone know about this?

0 Likes
dgc1962
Enthusiast - Level 3

Reading now that Verizon is already retiring the Icon.

Given this I'm not going to be holding my breath waiting for ANY updates on this phone.

If I weren't 6 days past the exchange date, I'd take it back for the S5.

0 Likes
primortal
Master - Level 1

darney92 wrote:

Iv'e heard that all the nokia apps will be gone until you get official firmware but that sounds kinda fishy to me. Still don't want to risk loosing my awesome nokia camera app though. Anyone know about this?

Not sure where you heard this.  The only change to the majority of the Nokia named apps will get renamed; removal of 'Nokia' from the name and published.  Other than that they are going no were.  When/if you install Windows Phone 8.1+Cyan you're apps including Nokia's will get reinstalled.

0 Likes