Just got mine !!
William_M
Enthusiast - Level 3

I just got my Trophy a little while ago and I'm liking it , A LOT.  I do have some questions though.

* Why can't I constantly see the signal strength, network type and battery life without swiping the top?  Is there a way to toggle this on?  I find it bizarre this isn't displayed all of the time.

* How do I update this phone? Outside of using the "check for updates" button is there any other way to update it?

* Can haptic feedback be turned off entirely?  I really hate this

*  YouTube - Why so **bleep** pixelated?  I mean, my Blackberry Bold doesn't even display YT videos this bad and to be honest, I'd consider BB to be the bottom of the barrel in terms of features.

So far I'm understanding why they say the phone gets you in and out faster - I love the camera despite what others have said, the phone feels smooth, fast and efficent.

Although VZW reps did laugh at me for exchanging an iPhone 4 for this device, they didn't argue with me or hassle me - they just went and go it.  In fact, the guy couldn't find it the first time h looked because it appears it's his stores first sale of the phone since release (not entirely encouraging but they're a smaller store sandwiched between three huge NJ malls that also have VZW stores) and it was still actually shrink wrapped in a skid so he had to cut the skid open to get at the boxes (mine has a litle swiss army knife love on the bottom lol)

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Just got mine !!
hopmedic
Contributor - Level 3

William_M wrote:

I just got my Trophy a little while ago and I'm liking it , A LOT.  I do have some questions though.

* Why can't I constantly see the signal strength, network type and battery life without swiping the top?  Is there a way to toggle this on?  I find it bizarre this isn't displayed all of the time.

* How do I update this phone? Outside of using the "check for updates" button is there any other way to update it?

* Can haptic feedback be turned off entirely?  I really hate this

*  YouTube - Why so **bleep** pixelated?  I mean, my Blackberry Bold doesn't even display YT videos this bad and to be honest, I'd consider BB to be the bottom of the barrel in terms of features.

So far I'm understanding why they say the phone gets you in and out faster - I love the camera despite what others have said, the phone feels smooth, fast and efficent.

Although VZW reps did laugh at me for exchanging an iPhone 4 for this device, they didn't argue with me or hassle me - they just went and go it.  In fact, the guy couldn't find it the first time h looked because it appears it's his stores first sale of the phone since release (not entirely encouraging but they're a smaller store sandwiched between three huge NJ malls that also have VZW stores) and it was still actually shrink wrapped in a skid so he had to cut the skid open to get at the boxes (mine has a litle swiss army knife love on the bottom lol)

Constant view of signal strength?  Why?  Who knows.  Can you change it?  No.

Updates are done through Zune on the desktop.  There are no updates for Trophy at this time, but that's how you'll do it.  When an update comes available, you'll see a popup on the phone telling you, and you connect to Zune to get it.  You can check with Zune using the check for updates in settings when the phone is connected, if you're curious, but if there is an update available, you will get a notification very shortly.

No, you cannot turn off the haptic feedback.

YouTube?  No problems here - I love it.  Perhaps it reduced quality due to bandwidth?  Other than that, no ideas.  Also, I've read that the HTC YouTube app is better than Microsoft's, though I have not done a comparison.  On the down side, IE will not open a video in the HTC YouTube if you link to one on a web page. 

0 Likes
William_M
Enthusiast - Level 3

Thanks for the answer - like I said I love this phone much more than I thought I would.  It's so easy - Internet Explorer is a little bit of a disappointment but I'll survive and it'll get better I'm sure with MANGO.

0 Likes
rolexdpracer

I'll have my Trophy this afternoon. I had an HTC Thunderbolt, but the Android platform just didn't click with me. I know I'm giving up on some bells and whistles to get the Trophy, but the OS is much easier to deal with. After going through two Thunderbolts (all sorts of teething problems) since launch, I think I'm making the right move. I'm a heavy Xbox live, and Zune user as well. I should have just waited for the Trophy to begin with. Lesson learned.

0 Likes
mooreshelby
Enthusiast - Level 3

I would also recommend the YouTube app by LazyWorm it is my favorite over the HTC and Microsoft versions.

-Shelby

0 Likes
chinch
Contributor - Level 1

You view the status bar by touching the top.

It can't be changed because the "Metro" UI designers want to remove all "chrome" and fluff and distractions... providing a great user experience that can't be screwed up or nullified by the user. See color palette choices also (preventing horrid or unusable choices like yellow on white, etc.)

Use the phone for a few days and you'll be thankful only the clock stays visible and other stuff appears as you connect to bluetooth, wifi, etc.

hopmedic wrote:

William_M wrote:

Constant view of signal strength?  Why?  Who knows.  Can you change it?  No.

0 Likes