LG Octane - ECHO problem? Is there a fix? If not, will there be a RECALL?
coastalite
Enthusiast - Level 2

I just got the Octane two days ago and am absolutely loving everything about it, except the echo problem.

I am guessing the echo could be a result of the caller hearing their own voice, which is coming through the two speakers on the inside of the Octane, which in turn is being picked up by the mic, hence, the caller hears an echo.

I tried to confirm this and found that it does sound like the caller's voice is not only coming through the external speaker on the earpiece, but also through the inside speakers when the phone is closed. This is a terrible design flaw, because the tiny mic hole sits exactly opposite of the left inside speaker. So, when the caller is talking on their end, their voice is actually being picked up by the Octane's mic and causing the echo. If I am correct in my assessment, then this phone is a total dud and needs to be recalled, which would be a shame because this phone rocks in every other way.

The only fix I see that might solve the echo problem is if they can figure out a way to offer a software update that will shut off the inside speakers when you are on a call. I can't believe LG would have overlooked this problem.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: LG Octane - ECHO problem? Is there a fix? If not, will there be a RECALL?
coastalite
Enthusiast - Level 2

new firmware download available at lg.com for the octane. appears to have fixed my echo problems.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
seadooman46

Have you tried setting "voice Clarity" to off.?

0 Likes
coastalite
Enthusiast - Level 2

Yes, I did try turning off voice clarity first and that did nothing.

Actually, I spent quite a bit of time with Verizon Tech Support, going all the way to the 2nd tier level. Folks, if you are having the same echo problem then I suggest you call *611 and go to tech support and escalate it to level 2 tech support. That's the only way the ticket gets sent to LG and if enough people do that, they will take notice and create a fix. If the software fix is small enough they will push it out to all the phones. If the fix is too large, you will have to go into a Verizon store for the update. But the point is, don't wait for the fix, call tech support and escalate it up the chain so that LG has no choice but to create a fix. If enough people don't escalate it formally up the chain then nothing will be done about it.

Anyway, level 2 tech support told me to:

1) *228 send and select option 1 (duh - already had done that).

2) reset the phone back to the manufacturer's settings (Menu - Settings & Tools - Phone Settings - Security - enter your last 4 digits of your phone number). This seemed to help a lot. Keep in mind, if you do this you will lose most of the customizing you have done.

3) After you have re-customized your phone, while the phone is on, remove the battery and press and hold down the pwr key for 10 seconds then put the battery back in and turn the phone on. I was told this drains any residual power out of the phone (never heard of this before).

So, I did all that and I think it actually helped a little bit. Now the echo seems to come and go and isn't quite as bad but will see how it shakes out as I talk to more and more people on my Octane.

I have found that I think the echo is reduced a bit  if BOTH parties turn down their volume.

Hopefully there will be a software fix as I love the phone and don't want to turn it in for something else. I just figured out how to move all my pictures so they show on the phone (easy) and all the ringtones I created can be done as well. You DO NOT have to buy ringtones... just make your own.

0 Likes
scoobymom239

My husband has had two octane's so far.  Both phones have had the problem.  We first thought it was the clarity option but that didn't help the problem.  If the person with the octane puts their phone on speaker phone the echo stops.  This is not a long term solution but when the echo is making the person you are talking to crazy it can keep them for going nuts.  I hope they come up with a solution to this problem because other than that its a nice little phone.

0 Likes
Nana1617

Guess what I have the same problem.  I took my phone back explained problem, was given another phone and guess what the same problem.  I have called Verizon several times and talked to the techs.  Some techs don't even know what you are talking about, how can that be, when comments on this echoing problems are written all over on the Verizon site, as well as other sites.  Today I gave up and called LG.  I went through shutting the phone off, resetting, etc. Well it did work and the echoing was gone.  LG tech said that when I put back all my settings, see if the echo starts again.  If it does than the problem could be in the settings.  So I put all the settings back and the echo started again when you have the volume up.  I also checked the voice clarity and I turned it on, echo started again, turn the voice clarity off and the echoing stopped.  Not sure if this is a true fix.  I will try it.  I have a feeling this phone is going back again and I don't think I want another one.  I have a hard time thinking LG would put out a product that doesn't work and an even harder time thinking Verizon would accept such a product.  I have been with Verizon for a very long time and have always had LG phones. I have about 3 weeks left in my trial time so maybe LG/Verizon can come up with something to fix the problem.  I do like the phone and would like to keep it but not with a problem. 

0 Likes
wyattsaunt1660

I have also had the echo problem with the Octane, purchased on 11-6.  Tried a lot of the advice here, thank you.  Echoing for the other person on the phone improved, but still showed up on some calls.  I was also getting a lot of people telling me my voice sounded really loud and harsh.  If I turned down the volume, I couldn't hear them anymore.

I exchanged it for another Octane today.  Same issues with other person on the line hearing echo, but now my voice sounds fine.

Through experimenting, I found a less-than-optimal fix for the echo.  It's not great, but works consistently.  When I initiate a call and the other person tells me they are hearing their voice rebounding (my phone is closed), I flip it open to speakerphone, then close the phone, and they tell me the echo is gone.

0 Likes
landline

Get a smartphone. Verizon thinks "featured phone users" are an "echo"

0 Likes
coastalite
Enthusiast - Level 2

new firmware download available at lg.com for the octane. appears to have fixed my echo problems.

0 Likes
digdug
Enthusiast - Level 2

Anyone know if the LG Octane is shipping with the newest firmware now ?

0 Likes
Commendatore

Well, then how does one install it?  If you're fortunate enough to navigate the lack of correct English on the site, it is still one hell of a trip for those of us not sufficiently literate enough in computer usage to install the needed patch.  Would someone be kind enough to post the step-by-step directions for installation of the fix, on this forum, rather than the "go there, do this" type of approach?  Between LG and their denials and Verizon's "No, we haven't heard of any echo problems" it has been an uphill battle to uncover the truth.  If someone can explain clearly, I'll be able to do it.  Thank you.

0 Likes