Lumia 822 Completely Bug-ridden
stodgers

I bought this device for myself and my wife just under a month ago and am astonished at the number of issues. I had so mnay issues in my first two weeks that I returned my phone thinking a had a bad device. I didn't - my second handset has all the same problems:

• Bluetooth
    • Crashes phone if turned on shortly after phone has been shut off without music being selected. Have to remove the battery while phone is on.
    • Stops operating if the phone lock screen is opened.
    • When connected music doesn't play immediately, you sometimes have to hit the pause/play button multiple times.
    • Takes multiple attempts to connect.
  • WMA files that are ripped from WMP (vs. downloaded from Zune) don't play correctly and 'skip'
  • Many files downloaded through Zune, and playable via Zune (desktop and WP7 handset), will not play on phone, period.
  • The keyboard freezes while typing and misses letters or even entire words, mostly when texting, though also in emails.
  • Emails sometimes won't come in when connected to LTE or even wi-fi. Have to shut down the phone and sometimes remove the battery.
  • Messaging
    • Sometimes texts come in and the phone crashes during receipt, then when the phone turns back on the texts are gone (I've confirmed they were sent by looking at the other person's phone).
    • Pictures sent by text often can't be opened at the other end.
  • NFC doesn't work in many instances where the receiving phone is proximate.
  • xBox Music links to Store often don't work.

And these are just the ones I've been able to note while using the phone in the first month. So I take it in to Verizon in Billings and explain just the Bluetooth and Email issues. The tech takes my phone and comes back in ten minutes to say "there will be a software update in June that will fix all of these issues". Since I told him only two of the above, I think his statement was a reach at best. But his closing was the clincher: "since it is a software issue there is nothing we can do for you". So that 'reach' statement was just an excuse to brush me off.

That is total crap. I am serving notice that I intend to drop Verizon if nothin is done for me. I'll be calling tonight to that effect. I believe I am still within the period for doing so. Back to AT&T I guess...

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Lumia 822 Completely Bug-ridden
MegaMasterX
Enthusiast - Level 1

The WMA files are a conversion issue. Try re-ripping them. Zune doesn't play nice with WP8. Use the Windows 8 application to do it. http://www.windowsphone.com/en-US/How-to/wp8/windows-phone-app-for-desktop.

Your SMS issue...if Skype is installed, uninstall it. Turn off Text and Chat backups in the Messaging Hub settings.

Xbox Music Links to the store....I don't understand this one. Need more details.

Chances are, theres a background app thats clogging up the phone. Try disabling them in Settings > Swipe to Applications > tap any unnecessary apps > block them.

The WP8 desktop app will be able to sync your Zune library, chances are. I've migrated most of my music to my phone by activating the Sync option in my Windows 8 Music App. Somehow, all my Zune Music Pass music carried over. Handy!

0 Likes
stodgers

First off, thank you for the response. Seems responses are hard to come by here.

However, re-ripping 80 GB of music from my library to cure a bug in this phone is an impractical resolution at best. As for the WP8 program - it is terrible, and it didn't even recognize my memory card for transfers. JI just used Windows Explorer - 10 times as fast, and works fine.

My backups have never been on, never had Skype installed. Still an issue.

XBox Music: if I am in an artist's section  of my music player, and I scroll down to Search Store, it doesn't work. Always tells me it can't reach the store, even when I can get there from other parts of the interface.

All my background apps have been blocked from day one (this was an issue with WP7 as well), still have the issues.

I tried to sync my Zune Pass music with Windows 8 and *none* of it worked. That was when I did a hard reset thinking there was an issue, and have now had the issue with both phones.

So again, I appreciate the response, but more than half my concerns are still outstanding, and Verizon doesn't appear to care. Neither does Nokia, because I posted on their support forum as well and nary a peep. When my contract is up, I'm definitely never buying another handset from Verizon.

0 Likes
primortal
Master - Level 1

Personally sounds like you have a defective device and need a replacement.

I haven't found anything around WMA skipping.  Doesn't mean its not a bug but no one seems to be complaining about skipping on MS communities.

Keyboard freezing isn't an WP8 issue, either your phone is defective or an application installed is causing an issue.

I've had on rare occasions that the phone won't switch over to LTE data when its been connected to WiFi.  When this happens I normally turn on Airplane mode and then turn it of and all is well.  Since the last update VZW released for the phone I haven't seen this happening anymore.

Messaging crashing the phone, unheard of.  I send tons of text and heavily use my phone for my corporate emails and never once had the phone crash using either.

I cannot answer for any of the music/zune issues being I don't use my phone for music.

0 Likes
stodgers

Thanks for the response. I just find it hard to believe that I could get two phones that have 90% of the same issues, making me hesitant to go through the hassle to return the phone for replacement. But I guess that's the route I'll have to go...

The WMA skipping only happens on Bluetooth, I didn't indent that above, but should have. Also, it will often freeze on one song unless you skip forward and back - and the entire album was ripped/coded the same way. I've also had it skip the first song on an album when you hit play from the album screen, but play the next one, but that happens whether you're on Bluetooth or not. But if you don't use your phone for music, you wouldn't see any of this.

As for the keyboard freezing, this was an issue before I downloaded any apps at all. If it isn't a WP8 issue, then it is an issue with the Nokia apps and WP8.

Thanks for the tip on Airplane mode, I'll try that if it happens again.

I'm not sure if it is the Messaging that crashes the phone, but it crashed three times (combined on the two phones) and the text disappeared. This hasn't happened in a while though, so I'll digress.

0 Likes
primortal
Master - Level 1

I've had my 822 since it was released and I haven't had any issues with the keyboard freezing and I have boat load of Nokia apps installed so I highly doubt its them.

If you haven't, you can try doing a hard reset and see if that works; non-music related issues that is.

0 Likes
Geebox
Contributor - Level 3

I agree with Primortal, you appear to have a defective phone, I and several of my friends have this phone and do not experience the issues you state. Have you had the update? On your hard reset, did you immediately experience these issues or after certain apps were installed. As for the music,  Microsoft has not fixed the drm issues with Zune. Zune has its own DRM and it won't sync yet with other apps. You will have to use a 3rd party converter to convert them to mp3, then sync will work.

0 Likes
stodgers

I have had the update. Right now the three biggest issues for me are: keyboard lag, WMA playback issues (both DRM & DRM-free), and Bluetooth issues. All of these were consistent on both phones I had, and they all occurred before I had downloaded any adiditonal apps.

Looking on the WP8 forums on the MS site, I see a lot of people are having the WMA issues in some way or form. One poster said that it may be an issue with the SIM card, which has been the only consistent thing on both phones (unless you count the SD card which wa re-formatted).

Thanks primortal fo mentioning those forums, that may be a solution. Question is, will Verizon do the right thing and replace it without fuss...

0 Likes