Lumia 928: Data connection active while using wifi
supergrover

Hi all, I need some help.  I just switched to a Windows phone from Android and so far I like the device itself.  With the upgrade I of course lost the unlimited data plan I had before, though I hardly used any data so I figured it would be no big deal, right?

Well, wrong.  I just checked my account and in 24 hours I've already used 15% of my monthly allowance.  I checked that my phone was set to connect to my home wifi and it was connected, but the breakdown in data usage showed my using LTE the entire time I was home last night and this morning.  I noticed that wifi and LTE both appear to be active at the same time.  If I go into my wireless settings and turn off the data connection the LTE indicator turns off and I'm still able to use my phone as per usual.

Is there something I can do to force data connection off when using wifi short of turning it off and on again myself every time?

Thanks in advance!

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Lumia 928: Data connection active while using wifi
aking53

I don't think this is a problem with your device. My mom has a Samsung Galaxy and I have an HTC Rhyme and we both had this same issue with our data running up quickly even when our phones said they were connected to our wifi. I think that verizon has been having problems with their data usage calculations. My husband and I ended up getting charged an extra $40 for data last month when we used 1.6gb less than our allowance. I am not sure what you can do about it other than calling and asking them to fix it but this is not the first time this happened to us.

0 Likes
Not applicable
0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Hi supergrover,

Let's explore options to extend your data allotment! You are definitely doing the right thing by connecting to WiFi when available. Your phone does not use cellular data while in WiFi, however, you may see the cellular data indicator from time to time, specially when you send a picture message as this requires the cellular network to transport the graphics in the message. I recommend exploring your Data Sense application http://vz.to/14jRb4M as it can be a very helpful tool in managing your data. I also recommend doing application updates when connected to a WiFi network, set your applications to only update when connected to a WiFi network if the option is available. As always, we recommend dialing #data on your phone to monitor your data usage at your convenience.

AntonioC_VZWSupport
Follow us on Twitter at www.twitter.com/VZWSupport

0 Likes
june1234
Enthusiast - Level 3

On my Lumia 928 I  have to make sure I turn off  cellular data setting when I'm using/switching WIFI or the phone will show both on at same time. By default when you make a call it will use VZ network  not WIFI even  if your WIFI is on

0 Likes