Lumia 928 with Verizon or Lumia 1020 with AT&T? Deciding...
corkwatchr
Contributor - Level 1

Just some thoughts... not a question.

My Verizon WP7 Trophy still rocks but my contract is up and I want to upgrade to WP8. It's a bummer that Verizon just raised the Nokia 928 price back up to $100 here in the US and I missed the the $50 price window in June.

The specs on the new Lumia 1020 look outstanding and once again Verizon seems to slip behind AT&T Windows phone users. This country really needs to change its policy on phones locked into carriers. I have to decide between giving up the awesome Verizon network or getting a better phone. I use all the other features more often than talk on it. That's why Verizon stopped offering unlimited data but offers unlimited talk and text.

The Lumia 1020 has a 41-megapixel camera - crazy! $300 is a lot though, with a two-year contract.

http://news.cnet.com/8301-1035_3-57593353-94/lumia-1020-a-flash-point-for-nokia/

I have a gut feeling that Verizon will offer a Nokia 1028 next summer, while AT&T will offer WP9 on a Nokia 1200.

I hope I am wrong.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Lumia 928 with Verizon or Lumia 1020 with AT&T? Deciding...
primortal
Master - Level 1

The 1020 is so tempting to leave VZW for AT&T to get the 1020 but knowing that Microsoft is releasing and update towards the end of the year (GDR3) which if rumors are correct will support quad core (even though WP doesn't need quad core) and 1080p resolution I cannot justify paying ETF right now and wait till the end of the year.  I feel the 1020 is just the beginning of slew of awesome devices from Nokia.

The sad reality of it is that VZW will never get first shot at a new Nokia device being Nokia and AT&T are best buds and AT&T practically throws money at Nokia to get the exclusive devices well always get a 6+ month delay in new devices.

If you do plan to switch hold out a little if you can.  There are rumors of a 1020 with 64GB storage that's headed for Europe/Latin America and it might make its way back to the US.

0 Likes
corkwatchr
Contributor - Level 1

Thank you, primortal, for the great information.

My Verizon bill comes with an employee discount for my wife's job and I get an extra discount for bundling it with my land line. I also noticed just today that Verizon (here on this site) is once again offering the Nokia 928 for $50 with a discount code at checkout. I definitely want removable memory for such big (41-MP) pictures and the Nokia 1020 doesn't have that.

I'll probably go with the 928 for now.

Thanks again!

0 Likes
muneo
Enthusiast - Level 3

I too contemplated this ever since I've heard of the mythical Nokia EOS (Lumia 1020) half a year ago.  One thing to keep in mind is that AT&T has a 6 month exclusive on that Phone just like it did on the Lumia 920.  That is why it took almost exactly 6 months before Verizon was able to release the Lumia 928 which was just an upgraded version of AT&T's Lumia 920.   At the earliest, Verizon will get its own Lumia 1028 in about 6 months, so...January-ish?  I can't wait another 6 months.  I've already waited 4 years and my phone was dying.   I have a Lumia 928 and I have no regrets...unless a miracle happens and Verizon releases an EOS 2 weeks after today (the end of my 30 day return policy)

0 Likes
bdinis01

Verizon is always late to the game. By the time it comes out to verizon (if) it's already an old phone. When my contract is us up, I'm definitely out and taking all my accounts to those that get the great products first.  AT&T.   Verizon I hate you

0 Likes
corkwatchr
Contributor - Level 1

Well, I upgraded my HTC Trophy to the Nokia 928 while my wife upgraded her Trophy to the Nokia 822. Both phones are quite nice!

I couldn't help but notice how similar WP8 is to WP 7.8 on my Trophy - especially with the three tile sizes. Biggest reason for us to upgrade? We wanted 4G LTE.

I saved a HUGE amount of money upgrading online vs. at a Verizon store/kiosk. My wife and I were going to upgrade our phones at a kiosk but it was adding up to $280 because each phone had a stupid $50 rebate.and there were no discounts. Screw that!

I walked out and logged in to pay less than $130 online for both. Our contract was up. BTW - starting this month at Verizon, you can pick up your online orders at a local Verizon store/kiosk - at least here in MN. We got our phones the next day. The folks helping us were scrambling a bit on how to process the orders on their tablets but figured it out eventually. They didn't even sell the Nokia 822 but were still able to give us one.

The Verizon web site is horrible for upgrading your Windows phone. I couldn't get past one of the pages unless all options were deselected - weird! Not good for sales either. The site didn't work with any of the popular web browsers either (IE, FF, or Chrome). However, the live chat guy was super helpful and even gave me code to keep the online discount.

Playing my XBox games on both of my phones. As well, still using the FM radio on my Trophy.

BTW  -If you can't get your new WP8 phone to connect to XBox Live, change the time zone zone setting from Automatic to manual and choose your time zone. That seems to fix it temporarily. My wife was pissed when AlphaJax couldn't log in to XBox. Eventually, you can change it back to automatic.

0 Likes
ms-cope

yep i think i may be heading to whoever is carrying the 1020p and going to have to deal with and iphone battery that will not stay charged until the contract is up.....frustrating

0 Likes
RHauk68

Well I had just asked why they are always months behind and I was told " Because Verizon requires more features" The funny thing is my good friend has an AT&T S4 and I have a Verizon S4 and there is NO difference so they are a crock. We have a 20 phone account that I will be forced to move to AT&T because of what the other executives here want. I wanted the 1020 and still waiting. Now there is going to be the Samsung Mega which others want and nothing from Verizon for either one.

0 Likes
primortal
Master - Level 1

The reps are clueless and will tell you anything hoping you'll believe them.  You need to talk to people at a higher level.  I spoke with a few VP's in the past on this and they really don't get it.  VZW more focused on their network than devices.  They know customers will stay because of the reliability of the network and not the most up to date devices.

0 Likes
june1234
Enthusiast - Level 3

Don't go with VZ for any Lumia model.In mid May VZ introduced its exclusive  928 flagship  device for windows for $100 with 2yr agreement. By mid august VZ was offering "flagship" for free. During my 30 days with the  VZ 928 I had to do 2 factory resets(equivalent wiping hard drive along with  a bottomless pit of soft resets equivalent of taking out battery on android, in case you don't know) .Twice I went to VZ stores with windows issues(after wasting time on unfruitful  calls to tech support).  I may as well have been speaking Chinese when I said word windows to VZ techs .They tried to sell me androids/Iphones to fix my windows issue. They even once offered to waive the 14 day return policy provided I sign up for  an I phone or Samsung S model VZ is pushing hard now with the new I phone and S5 coming out in Sept.  VZ's "flagship"  928 is riddled with buggy app issues, battery life issues,audio, text ones as many windows forums posts  will confirm My backup failed too. VZ's 928 was  all marketing,just  adding subscribers. (worked for windows too  they just passed blackberry).

0 Likes