Lumia 929 (now "Icon") moved to January
AtomicInternet
Contributor - Level 1

Looks like the latest rumor is 3rd week of Jan 2014, and it will now be called "Icon" because marketing.

http://wmpoweruser.com/nokia-lumia-929-may-be-announced-in-the-3rd-week-of-2014-get-a-new-name/

So far I've been teased with Nov 21st, then "mid to late December" and now "3rd week of Jan"  I really hope this latest delay allows for some colors other than black and white.  I'm also not sure why Verizon loves the blocky edges so much, but if it has the Snapdragon 800, 2150mAh battery and a 1080p screen as rumored I'm in.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Lumia 929 (now "Icon") moved to January
Kohld
Contributor - Level 1

I can no longer believe that this is a simple case of incompetence. Whatever the reason for their inability to gut an excellent hardware design, and release the gimped version in a reasonable timeframe, it has to be according to plan.

The sad thing is we watch this same scenario play out over and over again. A company get successful and then gets arrogant. They cut off communication to their customers, with the exception of an occasional forum flunky posting an attorney approved non-answer answer, and train their customer service to 'handle' issues as opposed to solving them.

Eventually their actions catch up to them and when a new company comes along, with a viable alternative, they find out how valuable customer loyalty could have been in preventing a mass exodus. Let's hope they find this out soon... the hard way.

0 Likes
primortal
Master - Level 1

No offense but the 929 was never officially given a release date and then constantly moved.  The release date has always been a rumor and that is it.

Either VZW is gutting or adding specs to the phone; only they know.

What bothers me is that if 1/16/14 is the new rumored release date that is pretty close to Nokia announcing new devices in February at the World Mobile Congress (2/24 -2/27).

0 Likes
Kohld
Contributor - Level 1

Oh, I am not saying that Verizon has missed an announced date. I do not care if they have announced a new phone based on these specs or it turns out to be just a rumor after all. In the end, their inability/unwillingness to provide up to date hardware, in a timely fashion, for the Windows phone simply makes them incompetent or conniving.

The arrogance I was talking about is their refusal to tell us anything so we can make a choice. My phone is dying and I need to get a new one ASAP. I tried out AT&T and unfortunately their network is slightly worse than Verizon at my home, which has dropped from 3 bars to 1 bar max over the last few years, which makes switching right now impossible and believe me I want to switch. But I do not see the current crop of Windows phones as worth the money, I dislike the iPhone and find Android to be too unstable.

So here I sit, waiting for something more than a rumor while Verizon sits arrogantly behind their network and refuses to communicate something as simple as 'Yes, we are going to release this new phone sometime in the 1st quarter of 2014' or 'No, we are not releasing a new Windows phone because M$ sux'.

I simply want to know WHAT they are going to do.

AtomicInternet
Contributor - Level 1

I know it's dumb to post here because only support staff and nobody who makes decisions ever reads this forum, but it's cathartic so I do it anways.

Latest rumor is Verizon is waiting for Microsoft to take over the Lumia line before moving forward with the 929.

http://www.nokiapoweruser.com/2013/12/18/verizon-has-delayed-lumia929-launch-further-mwc-2014-may-se...

PROVE THE RUMORS WRONG VERIZON!  RELEASE THIS TOP-OF-THE-LINE DEVICE WHILE IT'S STILL TOP-OF-THE-LINE INSTEAD OF BOGGING IT DOWN IN CONTRACT NEGOTIATIONS!

0 Likes
Kohld
Contributor - Level 1

Well it is 2014 which makes the 929 hardware officially last years news.

With the new processors due to be announced the next couple of months Verizon will have succeeded in making the 929 less attractive to new phone buyers so I guess it is safe for them to release it now without affecting their precious Android sales.

I really hope they lose their rear ends on this one.

0 Likes
reyes136

Yeah just like Verizon to delay until the phone is outdated then claim that it does not sell. I mean once the Galaxy 5 comes out this phone will look so outdated.

0 Likes
primortal
Master - Level 1
0 Likes
AtomicInternet
Contributor - Level 1

Nice link!  Let's hope the Jan 16th rumor is true!

They had cases in hand at CES as well: http://wmpoweruser.com/incipio-nokia-lumia-icon-case-shows-up-at-ces/

0 Likes
wulfAlpha

To be fair the Lumia 1520 is the same phone:

While I agree that it is sad to see Verizon constantly drop the ball when it comes to windows phone, I would like to point out the Microsoft Kin disaster. While windows phone is way better then the kin they would be fools not to be a little cautious. However, windows phone is the third horse in the race. Come on Verizon this is getting a bit old

0 Likes