Re: Lumia ICON @ Microsoft Stores
MadDogFL62
Contributor - Level 2

Verizon is responsible for their own Lumia ICON inventory and therefore decides on release dates, promotions, etc.  A majority of the leaks regarding the phone came from Verizon posting the phone to their Sales Inventory page.  While there were other industry websites who posted leaks about the phone and some blurry cam pictures - the decision, responsibility and blame goes to Verizon for a most unprofessional launch of the device.  I would hardly call multiple screen shots of the Verizon Website (showing the Lumia Icon) on multiple dates - in what they claim to be an error - a clucking.  I would call that laying an egg.

Microsoft, on the other hand, was happy to jump in.  They added the device to their inventory (however that worked out with Verizon), they ran a pre order promotion, and they provided $50 Nokia Charging Plates at no charge for those who pre ordered the device. And, Microsoft had the device on hand the day of release.  I also save a significant amount of money by insuring my device with Microsoft and not Verizon.

Why would you give Verizon more money, an insurance contract, credit or attention if you don't have to?  Verizon is not doing anyone any favors.  Ever.

penterax
Enthusiast - Level 3

I agree, Microsoft did a better job. They have to buy the Icons from Verizon to sell in their stores, and have offered a deal which costs their customers no more than buying from Verizon direct. And, their extended warranty + accidental damage is not only better, it's cheaper, too.

Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

Not every phone offered by Verizon Wireless generates enough traffic on the community to justify having its own space.  Then there are some spaces created for a specific phone/device that never get any traffic.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
penterax
Enthusiast - Level 3

I don't understand why some people feel the need to post this kind of negativity.

Every other Verizon Windows phone has its own subsection; it certainly isn't a stretch to make one for the Icon.

Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

penterax wrote:

I don't understand why some people feel the need to post this kind of negativity.

Every other Verizon Windows phone has its own subsection; it certainly isn't a stretch to make one for the Icon.

The Samsung Odyssey (Windows phone) never had its own space.  Certainly not all of the android phone have their own space.  The ones that don't, go into the general Android space.  It wasn't any negativity involved.  It was a statement of FACT and nothing more.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
MadDogFL62
Contributor - Level 2

Anything worth reading about from a fellow Verizon / Windows Phone User is best found on the WPCentral Forum Site.  This forum is more of a "gun range" where you get to take pot shots at VZW whenever they drop the ball on a release or update. 

You can be guaranteed that the range is open at least once a year!  Especially with the VZW Windows Phones. 

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

I will have to agree with you that the WPCentral forum site is a better option for Windows Phone users and advocates.

That being said, I have been quite impressed with the Lumia Icon commercials I have seen in the last week or so. It looks like a nice phone.

0 Likes
jsh17001
Contributor - Level 1

I also went to my local MS Store (Salt Lake City) and pre-ordered the Icon. The process was very slick. I was very disappointed that VZW did not offer any type of pre-order with shipping to get the phone to customers on the release date. I also purchased insurance thru MS rather than VZW. The whole policy of replacing your phone with a "refurbished" device when you pay for insurance is poor service. I have never bought insurance thru VZW for this reason. The MS Store employees were great to work with, courteous, and processional. Catered to what I wanted, unlike the experiences I have had at my local VZW store. Customer service is still king. When will VZW get this fact? This whole release felt like it was carried out by MS and Nokia rather than VZW.

I really like this phone. It runs faster than my dual-core Win8 tablet. There are some games I stopped playing on my tablet because they run better on the Icon.

I will give VZW credit for the decision to offer this device. I hope they will learn some better customer service techniques for future releases.

ryanthecryinglion

Go to T-Mobile then.  And when you can't get service where you need it, suddenly Verizon is your best friend.  Whatever.

0 Likes