Lumia or HTC?
cybergrrl

The descriptions given for the Lumia and HTC that Verizon will be offering are so similar, I can't tell which one would be better. Those of you who have researched these two more thoroughly, what things should I be comparing and considering in making a decision? The only difference I really see is the removable storage and standby time, but surely there's more to consider than these 2 features.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Lumia or HTC?
scolab
Enthusiast - Level 3

I was really torn also. I've been waiting to get a new device for about a year now. I bought my Trophy on eBay last December so I could save my upgrade. Now I might just wait until at least after Thanksgiving to see if they have anything else to offer as I was really hoping for a 920 variant on Verizon.

From what I've read, both the 8x and the 822 have pluses and minuses. 8x has a higher resolution screen, but it's also tall and thin vs the 822's standard aspect ratio.  Battery life appears to be similar. Camera's comparable. Nokia has better software and support. 822 does have expandable storage, which is definitely a plus.

I guess the deciding factor will be getting one in my hands to see and feel the differences. Also, from what I'm reading on WPCentral.com, it might be best to wait and see if there are any bugs in this first wave of WP8 devices on Verizon. Seems to be a lot of reports from ATT 920 users of poor battery life, poor daylight camera results, noisy vibrate, dim screen, etc.

0 Likes
Tidbits
Legend

So far just out of preference I would go for the Nokia.  I love their hardware and build quality. Chances are those reports are from users with a faulty device.  With anything with mass production you can assume 5% fail rate.  With the way these devices are more complex, and the software getting more complex I wouldn't be surprised to hear some reports.

0 Likes
SydneyK
Master - Level 3

I would love an 822 in white! Some of the Nokia apps are pretty nice, like Maps, which is easy to use offline, too. I think the 4.3" display is an ideal size. And if you wanted to buy it at full retail to keep unlimited, it's reasonably priced. Good luck deciding, Cybergrrl!

0 Likes
Tidbits
Legend

Nokia maps hands down I love it more than any other map services out there.  One reason I wish Nokia would have stuck with Symbian or moved to another Open Source OS over Windows.

0 Likes
SydneyK
Master - Level 3

I wouldn't mind trying Nokia again. The last Nokia I had was this one, and I loved that thing! It didn't have Maps, but it had Snake! I still have the phone but can't find the charger.

IMAG0414.jpg

0 Likes
primortal
Master - Level 1

Nokia 822 for some of the reasons mentioned above.  Nokia Drive and Lens is the biggest sellers for me.  Nokia so far has the most interest in creating applications for the platform/device and dedicated to improving those apps constantly.  Plus I've had my share of HTC/Samsung devices and want to try another manufacturer.

0 Likes
ChristoSays
Enthusiast - Level 2

If you're very unsure which you'd prefer, definitely wait until they're in stores and you can hold one in your hands.

From my perspective there are two primary negatives to the Nokia Lumia 822:

• 800x480 WVGA
  • 8MP f/2.2 camera

Positives for Lumia 822:

• OLED display w/ClearBack and Super Sensitive
  • 16GB w/microSD up to 64GB support
  • Nokia apps and support

For some you can throw a third factor in which is design.  As much as I am ready to ditch HTC and move over to Nokia, the 8X form factor is a very attractive design.  I like the Lumia 822's form factor, but it doesn't exactly make that unique statement quite like the 8X does.

In regards to the display, on the 822 you're looking at a 4.3" OLED screen with Nokia's ClearBlack and Super Sensitive technology.  The 8X is sporting 4.3" Super LCD 2.  My bet is that in daylight viewing, the 822's screen is going to perform better.  If you're a big stickler for high resolution screens then the 8X may be just the thing, but personally it doesn't seem like it's going to make that big of a difference in regards to user experience.  Between the 8X and 822, my perspective is that the 822 is better if you don't require/want a high resolution display.

I do wish Nokia had thrown in a BSI sensor for the Lumia 822, but I'll take at least the f/2.2.  I don't even know what the f-stop is on my HTC Trophy but I am going to assume the Lumia 822 is head over heels better.  Plus, for any serious photography needs I have my Canon DSLR.  The HTC 8X appears to be holding its own in comparisons for the most part.  Either way, for impromptu or casual shots, I think either the Lumia 822 or HTC 8X will perform well.

I've never been impressed with HTC build quality.  I've always loved Nokia's quality.  Before my HTC Trophy, my last great phone I had was an old Nokia candybar phone.  The Trophy only supercedes my old Nokia because of WP7.  Still have it.  I just can't get myself to get rid of it.  With the 8X it looks like HTC has stepped up their game some, so we shall see.  Another important factor for me is that Nokia has proven to be behind their Windows Phone handsets, with the plethora of Nokia apps for WP7 & 8.  Hopefully we'll see some good offerings from HTC with WP8.

If you're really big into the whole wireless charging game, both the 8X and 822 have wireless charging.  We know Nokia is using Qi technology.  Hopefully the 8X is as well for more third-party options.  That being said, the 8X does come with wireless charging built-in versus having to purchase a separate back with wireless charging for the 822.  That may factor into the cost of the phone.

You also have to look at cost evaluation.  Are you purchasing on or off-contract?  I'm buying at full retail price because I'm not eligible for an upgrade until mid-January plus I'm on an unlimited data plan and I'm not ready to lose that until Verizon Wireless forces me out of it.  Not to mention, I'd like to hold onto my upgrade should we eventually get a Lumia 92x variant.  I'm not holding my breath, but a man can hope, right?  Because of this the Lumia 822 is a better choice for myself because the potential cons don't outweigh the increase in price for the 8X.

Keep in mind, all of this is pure speculation until we can actually get our hands on a Lumia 822.  As it stands now, however, the Nokia Lumia 822 (in white) is my current choice.

0 Likes
hopmedic
Contributor - Level 3

Personally, a few different things lend to my leaning toward the Nokia, however I'll admit that I won't be making a purchase immediately, unless a 9xx comes out.  First let me say that I have nothing against HTC, as my last several phones, probably since about 2005 or so, since I got into Windows Mobile phones, and if I think before that perhaps even phoneless Windows Mobile/CE devices have been HTC.  I've never had a problem with one, except the Touch Pro, which the buttons on the front had a problem, and if I'd taken the phone back sooner (before the conductor ribbon completely tore) they would have covered it under the warranty.  I used that opportunity to upgrade to the TP2, though, so I wasn't a completely unhappy camper - I liked getting the bigger screen.

Anyway, for me, Nokia means apps, screen quality, reception (since I live near the mountains), and should a 9xx come out, the camera.  If I can't get the 9xx right away, I'll wait for my contract and see what's out at that point in time.  For now, if the 9xx comes out, my step-son's phone (on my plan) is ready for upgrade, and he'll get my hand-me-down Trophy, which will excite him as right now he just has a feature phone.  But what I want most is the camera.  Close second behind that is the apps.  And then, I guess, would be the fact that I bought stock in Nokia, so I guess I want to add value to that stock.  I am quite disgusted with Nokia/ATT/Verizon over the whole exclusivity thing.  I understand that it is business, and how they chose to do it, but I don't agree with it.

0 Likes
mrpearsoy
Contributor - Level 3

hopmedic wrote:

Personally, a few different things lend to my leaning toward the Nokia, however I'll admit that I won't be making a purchase immediately, unless a 9xx comes out.  First let me say that I have nothing against HTC, as my last several phones, probably since about 2005 or so, since I got into Windows Mobile phones, and if I think before that perhaps even phoneless Windows Mobile/CE devices have been HTC.  I've never had a problem with one, except the Touch Pro, which the buttons on the front had a problem, and if I'd taken the phone back sooner (before the conductor ribbon completely tore) they would have covered it under the warranty.  I used that opportunity to upgrade to the TP2, though, so I wasn't a completely unhappy camper - I liked getting the bigger screen.

Anyway, for me, Nokia means apps, screen quality, reception (since I live near the mountains), and should a 9xx come out, the camera.  If I can't get the 9xx right away, I'll wait for my contract and see what's out at that point in time.  For now, if the 9xx comes out, my step-son's phone (on my plan) is ready for upgrade, and he'll get my hand-me-down Trophy, which will excite him as right now he just has a feature phone.  But what I want most is the camera.  Close second behind that is the apps.  And then, I guess, would be the fact that I bought stock in Nokia, so I guess I want to add value to that stock.  I am quite disgusted with Nokia/ATT/Verizon over the whole exclusivity thing.  I understand that it is business, and how they chose to do it, but I don't agree with it.

So...Nokia means apps, screen quality, reception, and the camera. Have you actually USED the new Nokia device to make this claim? How do you know without seeing the device that this will make all your wildest dreams come true? What you want most is the camera. Have you used the camera? How do you KNOW that its the best camera out there? If its a camera you want, why not get a tried and true point and shoot? You are disgusted with the exclusive thing. But yet IF and WHEN VZW gets the phone, you gonna go right out and get it....in a previous post, your friends said AT&T did not work for them in your area, but you do not know how AT&T will work out for YOU. Your stance and your comments are quite odd, practically bashing any and every other thing but willing to stay with a service provider that you dont agree with. Odd, indeed.

0 Likes