Re: Mango RTM -- Verizon is on the clock!
Tidbits
Legend

jimho wrote:

Tidbits wrote:

By the rules of MS.  I think mango won't come and more than likely the one after that will.  They are only obligated to go with 1 major release, and that's at the mercy of the MANUFACTURER and not the carrier.  You need to bring it up with the manufacturers.

That's a pretty uninformed comment given you can already install the RTM mango bits on the Trophy and people have been running the beta on Trophy since June. Sounds like you've been hanging out in the Rhoid fanboy forums....The question is weather there will be an officially supported upgrade path or we need to do it on our own.

There seems to be some confusion on other threads weather or not Verizon will be involved with distributing Mango, or we'll just pull it down from the Marketplace. Has anyone confirmed comments on some of the other threads that Mango will be available to anyone with WP7 via marketplace or if Verizon has to be involved?

No it isn't. You are the one uninformed.  What I just said is out of the mouth of MS higher ups.  If you also noticed you said Mango bits and beta which I have highlighted. That is nothing official, AND Verizon has little to do with the update process.  So show me where I am uninformed before call me a Rhoid fanboy. So show me something where Verizon dictates the update process that would contridict what MS has been saying long before the release on WM7.

Instead of you seeing what you want to see, just read the whole thing.  I was responding to "Verizon, everyone who waited out your unreasonalbly late launch of a Windows Phone deserves to get this update without delay." for the most part.  As far as updating goes my initial post was based on what MS said.  It's all on the Manufacturers to deliver updates, and Verizon, AT&T, T-Mobile, Sprint or whatever carrier has little say on this process.  So to be bugging carriers for an update on a WM phone from this point forward is moot as they don't have a say, and MS will only promise you 1 major update on behalf of the manufacturers.

0 Likes
jimho
Enthusiast - Level 2

Tidbits wrote:

No it isn't. You are the one uninformed.  What I just said is out of the mouth of MS higher ups.  If you also noticed you said Mango bits and beta which I have highlighted. That is nothing official, AND Verizon has little to do with the update process.  So show me where I am uninformed before call me a Rhoid fanboy. So show me something where Verizon dictates the update process that would contridict what MS has been saying long before the release on WM7.

Instead of you seeing what you want to see, just read the whole thing.  I was responding to "Verizon, everyone who waited out your unreasonalbly late launch of a Windows Phone deserves to get this update without delay." for the most part.  As far as updating goes my initial post was based on what MS said.  It's all on the Manufacturers to deliver updates, and Verizon, AT&T, T-Mobile, Sprint or whatever carrier has little say on this process.  So to be bugging carriers for an update on a WM phone from this point forward is moot as they don't have a say, and MS will only promise you 1 major update on behalf of the manufacturers.

WRONG:

Sounds like you're regurgitating FUD from a Rhoid forum.

If you took the time to actually find and read the source you'd have a leg to stand on.

The quote you are referring to is in Terry Myerson's blog here :http://windowsteamblog.com/windows_phone/b/windowsphone/archive/2011/07/26/windows-phone-mango-relea...

"This marks the point in the development process where we hand code to our handset and mobile operator partners to optimize Mango for their specific phone and network configurations"- 

It doesn't say that Verizon has little to do with the update process it says the opposite. Trophy bits are already out there on XDA-developers. What's left is "Mobile operator partners" - and for the Trophy, that would be Verizon.

And anyone with a tagline that includes D3 and D2 as a backup and steps into the windows phone forum is a Rhoid fanboy-

Now run along and find an official source for this promise of Only 1 major update on behalf of the manufacturers as opposed to "at least" .....

0 Likes
Tidbits
Legend

WRONG - It's a direct quote from Steve Balmer himself.  Their update process has nothing to do with carrier influence and more for Manufacturer influence.  You are the one being a fanboy without listening to the people who have the ultimate say about your product.  If you actually read any of my posts about Windows Phone 7 you will find I actually defended the OS multiple times, and was taking a wait and see approach to what Steve has openly stated before the release of WM7 and see which manufacturers are willing to do more than 1 major update before diving into WP7.

People like you who are the true fanboys.  If you done any development at the OS level you would understand what that hardcoding is.  It has NOTHING to do  with the radio communicating with the OS, and more with the hardware to ensure the kernel speaks to it well.  Which has NOTHING to do with Verizon carrier settings which are easy to set up and shouldn't take less than a few hours.

So stop being a fanboy, and stop looking at the specific devices I own and maybe you'll learn something.  Just like how MS will not support the HD2 with WP7 as it meets most of the requirements except hard buttons...  Yes I have owned that as well as a Mogul, Pantech Duo, Pantech Duo Pro, T-Mobile Wing...  So please spare me the "fanboy" statements you don't know me.  I am surprised you didn't notice I even own an iPhone 4....  So am I a Android fan or a iOS fan? Seriously...

0 Likes
jimho
Enthusiast - Level 2

Tidbits wrote:

WRONG - It's a direct quote from Steve Balmer himself.  Their update process has nothing to do with carrier influence and more for Manufacturer influence.  You are the one being a fanboy without listening to the people who have the ultimate say about your product.  If you actually read any of my posts about Windows Phone 7 you will find I actually defended the OS multiple times, and was taking a wait and see approach to what Steve has openly stated before the release of WM7 and see which manufacturers are willing to do more than 1 major update before diving into WP7.

People like you who are the true fanboys.  If you done any development at the OS level you would understand what that hardcoding is.  It has NOTHING to do  with the radio communicating with the OS, and more with the hardware to ensure the kernel speaks to it well.  Which has NOTHING to do with Verizon carrier settings which are easy to set up and shouldn't take less than a few hours.

So stop being a fanboy, and stop looking at the specific devices I own and maybe you'll learn something.  Just like how MS will not support the HD2 with WP7 as it meets most of the requirements except hard buttons...  Yes I have owned that as well as a Mogul, Pantech Duo, Pantech Duo Pro, T-Mobile Wing...  So please spare me the "fanboy" statements you don't know me.  I am surprised you didn't notice I even own an iPhone 4....  So am I a Android fan or a iOS fan? Seriously...

1) where's the quote from steveb? When was that comment made? Without a link you're spewing worthless FUD.

2) " Their update process has nothing to do with carrier influence " -that story changed last october- go look it up. Carriers have the right to block updates, carriers have the right to not support updates - a right they invoked with NODO and a right Verizon has invoked with the last minor update. Get with the program.

3) The issue isn't  the hardcoding, and its not what it takes Verizon to do the actual work, or HTC- the issue is the amount of time it takes for Verizon to "certify" the update for support. If you've been around here like many of the others, it's a pain you would understand, its a recurring theme with Verizon and it's the issue we're concerned about in this thread.

4) I'm absolutey a fanboy when it comes to WP7- you got that right. Enough of a fanboy to know that I don't need verizon to get my hands on a version of Mango that will run on the trophy-

5) your random inflamatory posts are all over the forum - you're somewhat of a troll....I was being kind calling you a rhoid fanboy -  I noticed the i4 wedged in the middle there.... Sure, you could have picked up the same FUD in the iOS discussions- you're obviously upset at Microsoft for sticking to thier guns on the HD2 in that it does not meet ALL the requirements- it doesn't - old news- get over it- 

0 Likes
Tidbits
Legend

jimho wrote:

Tidbits wrote:

1) where's the quote from steveb? When was that comment made? Without a link you're spewing worthless FUD.

One can easily look it up, and it was a lot recent than October.  It happened earlier THIS year before the release of the Trophy...

2) " Their update process has nothing to do with carrier influence " -that story changed last october- go look it up. Carriers have the right to block updates, carriers have the right to not support updates - a right they invoked with NODO and a right Verizon has invoked with the last minor update. Get with the program.

You just proved my point. You are only gaurenteed 1 major update and it has to be within the first 2 since the release of the device.  After that nothing in gaurenteed.  Just like Ballmer said.  You should get with the program. So where is the proof Verizon invoked it, or is it in a blog or some he said she said?  I want to see something official and nothing based off a rumor.

3) The issue isn't  the hardcoding, and its not what it takes Verizon to do the actual work, or HTC- the issue is the amount of time it takes for Verizon to "certify" the update for support. If you've been around here like many of the others, it's a pain you would understand, its a recurring theme with Verizon and it's the issue we're concerned about in this thread.

So what you bring up an article about hardcoding and now I can't use your own "evidence" to prove a point that you have no idea what you are talking about?  The RIL doesn't change unless there is a major overhaul with the kernel, and OS at the radio, but Mango doesn't do that so that's the short part of it.  Learn to program at the OS level and maybe you'll catch what I am saying.

4) I'm absolutey a fanboy when it comes to WP7- you got that right. Enough of a fanboy to know that I don't need verizon to get my hands on a version of Mango that will run on the trophy-

Who cares?  I don't...  What I do care about is the simple fact because of what device I own I have to be a "fanboy".  That's boarderline discrimination right there.  I owned a lot of devices for a long time, and I use what I want to use, and it's not based on what OS it is.  Battery life is more important to me as well as certain apps.

5) your random inflamatory posts are all over the forum - you're somewhat of a troll....I was being kind calling you a rhoid fanboy -  I noticed the i4 wedged in the middle there.... Sure, you could have picked up the same FUD in the iOS discussions- you're obviously upset at Microsoft for sticking to thier guns on the HD2 in that it does not meet ALL the requirements- it doesn't - old news- get over it-

Actually if you read everything in CONTEXT it's a different story.  Most trolls will always pull something out of CONTEXT to prove a point.  If you look at my profile I have helped a lot of people, and also was a BOTB for helping people.  So try and keep everything in CONTEXT before calling someone a troll.

Actually I am not upset.  IF you read some of my posts about Android updating process you would see I LIKE how MS, and Apple do their updating process over Android, but of course I am a troll, and don't know what I am talking about.

0 Likes
Tidbits
Legend

I also wanted to add.  If they decide to wait for the next version of the update you still get all the previous stuff just have to wait longer to get it.  Some updates don't affect specific devices so it is more often skipped because of that.  :smileyhappy: So just because you don't get an update you will get at least 1 major one within 2 years.

0 Likes
hopmedic
Contributor - Level 3

Tidbits wrote:

I also wanted to add.  If they decide to wait for the next version of the update you still get all the previous stuff just have to wait longer to get it.  Some updates don't affect specific devices so it is more often skipped because of that.  :smileyhappy: So just because you don't get an update you will get at least 1 major one within 2 years.

Finally, Tidbits said something that actually IS true.  Yes, the CARRIER has the right to skip over 1 update, but the next update that comes along, they do not have the right to skip, and the next update will contain the prior one. 

Verizon skipped the security update that was put out by Microsoft in May, so they cannot skip Mango.  Mango is now in the hands of manufacturers AND carriers, and CARRIERS are the ones who are in control (within whatever time constraints Microsoft has given them) of when Mango gets pushed out.  It will be installed through Zune, via the desktop, and not downloaded from the Marketplace.  This is no different than any other update that has come down the pipe (and I've had an HTC Arrive as well as three Samsung Foci that I have updated as well).  I have EXPERIENCE backing what I say, unlike Mr. Andrhoid troll.

I am a Windows Phone developer, who stays IN the loop, and is at a Microsoft campus at LEAST 1-2 times a month, and I'm on a first name basis with a MS Developer Evangelist whose primary focus is The Phone.  I DO know what I'm talking about.

I've been running Mango on my Trophy since the first day that it was available for developers to download.

0 Likes
jimho
Enthusiast - Level 2

hopmedic wrote:

Tidbits wrote:

Finally, Tidbits said something that actually IS true.  Yes, the CARRIER has the right to skip over 1 update, but the next update that comes along, they do not have the right to skip, and the next update will contain the prior one. 

Verizon skipped the security update that was put out by Microsoft in May, so they cannot skip Mango.  Mango is now in the hands of manufacturers AND carriers, and CARRIERS are the ones who are in control (within whatever time constraints Microsoft has given them) of when Mango gets pushed out.  It will be installed through Zune, via the desktop, and not downloaded from the Marketplace.  This is no different than any other update that has come down the pipe (and I've had an HTC Arrive as well as three Samsung Foci that I have updated as well).  I have EXPERIENCE backing what I say, unlike Mr. Andrhoid troll.

I am a Windows Phone developer, who stays IN the loop, and is at a Microsoft campus at LEAST 1-2 times a month, and I'm on a first name basis with a MS Developer Evangelist whose primary focus is The Phone.  I DO know what I'm talking about.

I've been running Mango on my Trophy since the first day that it was available for developers to download.

Thank you Rich - thought I was arguing by myself here for a few mintues....

and before our little troll comes back, the update they skipped was 7392 which was available to them May 3rd, before our phones were available... http://www.microsoft.com/windowsphone/en-us/features/update-schedule-usa.aspx 

0 Likes
Tidbits
Legend

jimho wrote:

hopmedic wrote:

Tidbits wrote:

Thank you Rich - thought I was arguing by myself here for a few mintues....

and before our little troll comes back, the update they skipped was 7392 which was available to them May 3rd, before our phones were available... http://www.microsoft.com/windowsphone/en-us/features/update-schedule-usa.aspx 

I guess you don't read my responces completely.  Minor updates don't count towards the "skipping" count.  If you wish ask your buddy next time you go there.  I am trying to find it where MS specifically stated minor and major updates.  The first major update was preinstalled, and the next major update is Mango.  Everything else is considered a minor update unless MS states otherwise.
I hope I can find it as it is with searching the internet fanboys tend to click on links based on rumors and the good links always gets burried.  Still looking for it...  It's not some blog, and rumor site either.
0 Likes
hopmedic
Contributor - Level 3

Tons of credibility behind you, with the drhoid and iSheep in your sig, but no indication that you have a lick of MS experience.  {please keep your posts courteous}

0 Likes