Mango is missing tons of features??
Draepetan

Just got my Mango update today. My OS reads "Windows Phone 7.5"

Is it just me, or is it missing most of the features that were advertised? I don't have visual voice mail, it doesn't let me read back and reply to texts via voice command, there is no "Group" screen in messaging, and it shows "no one is online" in messaging even though facebook is enabled, and whatever else I haven't found yet

???

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Mango is missing tons of features??
hopmedic
Contributor - Level 3

Draepetan wrote:

Is it just me, or is it missing most of the features that were advertised? I don't have visual voice mail, it doesn't let me read back and reply to texts via voice command, there is no "Group" screen in messaging, and it shows "no one is online" in messaging even though facebook is enabled, and whatever else I haven't found yet

???

In order to have it read you text messages, you have to enable it in the speech settings.  I think it defaults to only do it if you're connected to a bluetooth or wired headset, if I remember right.  Given that default, the way I discovered it was driving down the road, with my phone linked to my stereo, as it had already been, and I got a text, and it read it to me.

In order to initiate a spoken text message, you do not have to be linked.  You can do that one of two ways.  First would be to press/hold the start button, say "text joe blow", and it will repeat back "texting joe blow." "Say your message."  You say, "I'm on my way to the ball game." Some beeping sounds, and then it will read back "I'm on my way to the ball game."  "You can say send or try again."  "Send."  beep - and it's sent.

The other way is to go into messaging, pick the person you're texting, and press the microphone icon.  Using this method, you will have to press send, not say it.

As far as I know, visual voice mail was not a feature of Mango, but a feature of VZW, so you'd have to talk to them.  I may be wrong - never used it.

Groups - I don't use this, but if you go to people hub, click the add button, you'll have choice of new contact or new group.  That's where I'd start.  Also, in messaging settings there is a group text on/off.

IM -  I don't use this either, but did you turn on facebook chat in messaging settings? Set your chat status in the me tile?

View solution in original post

0 Likes
chudster94
Enthusiast - Level 3

Visual voicemail has to be enabled by the carrier which I don't believe VZW has done yet.

As far as the other features you list, it seems all of these are included on my updated phone. What's the exact version number that you see under the "more info" screen? It should be 7.10.7720.

0 Likes
Draepetan

it doesn't actually list the build. it literally says Windows Phone 7.5

0 Likes
Draepetan

Derp. Sorry i'm retarded. it says 7.10.7720.68

0 Likes
chudster94
Enthusiast - Level 3

That's the correct version.

Did you already try powering the phone down and back on? Other than that I'm not sure. You might need to reapply the update but I'd check with tech support first.

0 Likes
hopmedic
Contributor - Level 3

Draepetan wrote:

???

In order to have it read you text messages, you have to enable it in the speech settings.  I think it defaults to only do it if you're connected to a bluetooth or wired headset, if I remember right.  Given that default, the way I discovered it was driving down the road, with my phone linked to my stereo, as it had already been, and I got a text, and it read it to me.

In order to initiate a spoken text message, you do not have to be linked.  You can do that one of two ways.  First would be to press/hold the start button, say "text joe blow", and it will repeat back "texting joe blow." "Say your message."  You say, "I'm on my way to the ball game." Some beeping sounds, and then it will read back "I'm on my way to the ball game."  "You can say send or try again."  "Send."  beep - and it's sent.

The other way is to go into messaging, pick the person you're texting, and press the microphone icon.  Using this method, you will have to press send, not say it.

As far as I know, visual voice mail was not a feature of Mango, but a feature of VZW, so you'd have to talk to them.  I may be wrong - never used it.

Groups - I don't use this, but if you go to people hub, click the add button, you'll have choice of new contact or new group.  That's where I'd start.  Also, in messaging settings there is a group text on/off.

IM -  I don't use this either, but did you turn on facebook chat in messaging settings? Set your chat status in the me tile?

0 Likes
Draepetan

Thanks guys,

Rich, that was all perfectly correct. I was able to enable it. Stuff isn't so obvious eh. And the online status thing just fixed itself. I guess it just needed a little more time to get caught up. Haven't tried the group thing. I was hoping that it is similar to what Google+ is gonna have, where you can basically have a text message convo with several people like it was a chat room. Something tells me it isn't gonna be like that. But it would be nice.

0 Likes
Draepetan

Oh, and I think visual voicemail was mentioned a few times as a new mango feature. I've seen some demos of it on youtube, theres an added screen to the phone function that says voicemails. But alas, it does not work for me. I saw some other posts suggesting that it may still need to be enabled by verizon. 

0 Likes
chudster94
Enthusiast - Level 3

According to Microsoft, Visual VoiceMail supported in Mango but it must be allowed by the carrier and also enabled on your phone plan.

See:

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsphone/en-us/howto/wp7/start/check-my-voicemail.aspx

0 Likes