Micro SD card not being recognized
Burningham

I've installed a new MicroSD card into my Nokia Lumia 822. I turned on my phone and it doesn't recognize it. So I take it out and put the SD card into my computer and format it to NTFS and return it to the phone. The phone says something like, "This SD card is not in the correct format to be used. To format do Steps 1 and 2" Ok! I have the phone format it and when it's done, it doesn't see the card. To further troubleshoot, I took the SD card out of my old smartphone and install it into the Lumia 822 and it doesn't recognize it.

Anyone else having this problem?

Or

Anyone know the solution? Or is the solution to have them replace the phone?

Burningham

Labels (1)
Tags (2)
0 Likes
Re: Micro SD card not being recognized
primortal
Master - Level 1

No issues with my MicroSDHC card being recognized for the first time.

0 Likes
jmf773

I am having the same problem. I installed a Sandisk 32GB class 10 micro sd card in my Lumia 822 and the phone never recognizes it. I thought that I may not have inserted the card in all the way so I reinstalled it and I still get the same problem. The card came pre-formated as fat32. I was going to format it as NTFS, but I saw your post that indicated that the phone doesn't like NTFS. Unfortunately I don't have another card I can try. Just wondering what kind of card primortal got to work in his phone.

0 Likes
primortal
Master - Level 1

The card that's working for me is the SanDisk Ultra 32 GB microSDHC Class 10 UHS-1

0 Likes
KevinRush
Enthusiast - Level 2

I just received my 822 yesterday and am having so much fun. 

I have a 32 GB microSDHC Sandick card from my TouchPro2 (Windows Mobile 6.5, a great phone and OS for it's time) that has music mp3s and Office documents on it.  Has anyone tried inserting a card with files on it?  I'll backup the data and give it a try. 

Just wondering if someone had tried it. Thoughts?

0 Likes
seabumb
Enthusiast - Level 1

My Scandisk SD card was working fine and while transferring music to the phone it quit.  Since then new SD cards, old SD card, NEW PHONE, all have a problem with reading SD cards.  I connected the 822 to THREE computers and none of them would see any storage on the phone (phones memory or SD card).  My Lenovo Yoga (W8) said the phone was 'not playing properly' and for me to turn off and turn on the phone.  This did not work.

However, if I remove the SD card, all three of the computers will then see the 822's storage and I can transfer files.  With any of three SD cards, nothing (yes, all class 10 cards).  Yes, I did reformat two of the SD cards and still nothing.  If I put the microSD card in my computer I can transfer files to it from the phone then put it back into the phone for accessing but that is a lot of wasted time!

There is definitely a serious issue with the 822 regarding SD cards, not just when working with video recordings.

KevinRush
Enthusiast - Level 2

So, what worked, but was a lot of wasted time? 

- You removed any microSD card from the phone, then tested all three computers and all three computers will see the 822's on-board/internal memory storage and you can transfer files from any of the computers to the phones' built in storage. 

- Second:  Then you put a microSD card in the computer while connected to the phone, and then you can move the files from the phones built-in storage to the microSD card.  (Deleting them from the internal storage on the phone?)

- Third: Then when you put the microSD card back into the phone, and the phone does access the microSD card and reads the files.

Is this what works for you?  Did I write it correctly?  Are you sure the files you are reading are on the microSD card and not just the ones in the internal memory?  Did this work with all the cards, newly formated and not?

Thanks for the information.

Is Verizon addressing this?

0 Likes
hopmedic
Contributor - Level 3

Wow, interesting...  I just got my SanDisk Ultra 64 GB microSDXC Class 10 UHS-1 last night, and it worked fine (well, except when I did a "Move" of the pictures folders from the phone to the card, they moved FROM the phone, but not TO the card...  Dumb phone...).  I hope I don't end up with the problems you're describing.  Pictures that I took after that initial Move fiasco did save to the card just fine. 

FYI, this isn't going to be a problem for Verizon to address.  This will be a Nokia/Microsoft issue.

0 Likes
wbsobe
Enthusiast - Level 2

I initially had the same problem as the original post by Burningham.  When I inserted a "Nokia approved micro SD card" it was not recognized.  What worker for me was, I reset my phone with the SD card installed,  then it recognized it.  Resetting is slightly annoying since you have to delete everything off the phone.  I would recommend that you do a Back Up Assistant prior to resetting so that your info contact, apps, e-mails won't be lost when you reset.  The only annoying thing about the reset is that you have to reorganize your live tiles screen to they way you had it arranged.  Hope this works for you.

0 Likes
dron-nord

Have similar problem when inserting a micro sd card.  It would see the SanDisk 32 GB microSDXC Class 10 card but would not let me see the photos I took unless I took the card out and put it in my pc.  Also, when the card was inserted in the 822 it would turn off the sound and not let me see anything stored on phone.  Got tired of screwing with it for now and just took out the micro sd card and it works fine.  Will try a different card later and see what happens.  Sounds like a hard reset is the only answer. 

0 Likes