Microsoft Lumia 950 and Lumia 950 XL to be blocked by Verizon
ShadowRider
Enthusiast - Level 3

That's the headline and here's the link to the article in the AU edition of the International Business Times.

Microsoft Lumia 950 and Lumia 950 XL to be blocked by Verizon

Here's the first line in the article: "AT&T is the only carrier in the U.S. that will market the Microsoft Lumia 950 and the Lumia 950 XL flagships."

Now, what does that tell you?  Tells me to start looking elsewhere, after all these years with VZW.  Too many disappointments.  This is the last one.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Microsoft Lumia 950 and Lumia 950 XL to be blocked by Verizon
Snn5
Legend

According to your post, AT&T is the only provider you can use.

0 Likes
ShadowRider
Enthusiast - Level 3

At this time the only one announced...yes.

0 Likes
Tidbits
Legend

Article is click bait, and any article connected to that information is click bait.

Verizon under block C rules can not block a device if the manufacturer makes it work. It's open sourced by Verizon in compliance with block C rules. Also Verizon moved away from CDMA authenticating to a GSM based one. Verizon had trouble with activations early on because of it 4 years or so ago.

dhollis
Enthusiast - Level 2

AT&T is the only US carrier that has committed to selling the 950's.  However you will be able to  buy them unlocked from the MS store and use them on either AT&T or TMobile.  I suspect you could also use them with other GSM carriers, but I have not looked any deeper into this.  I will probably move to TMobile myself.

MS has decided not to sell the cdma enabled phones at this point as it appears Verizon will not allow them on their network.  This can be confirmed by checking Verizon's bring your own device policy which specifically states VZW allows all compliant unlocked phones except Windows phones.

This appears to be a squabble between the two companies and Verizon had decided, Eh...  [removed]!

Profanity removed as required by the

Message edited by Verizon Moderator

Tidbits
Legend

It's obvious why it says except Windows phone. Show one Windows phone sold unlocked and unbranded that has all the required hardware and spectrum.

0 at this moment so that statement hold a lot of truth.

0 Likes
Tidbits
Legend
0 Likes
bigpapamikay
Enthusiast - Level 1

This is so disappointing!  Verizon, please allow us to use the Lumia 950.  I have been looking forward to this device for a while now.  I currently have 5 lines with Verizon and do not want to switch.

0 Likes
dexman
Community Leader
Community Leader

Microsoft has not enabled CDMA within the 950's. Because of this, the phones have not been certified to operate on CDMA networks...and...fees not paid to Qualcomm.

The feeling is the 950's are placeholders until the next generation of Windows Mobile phones are released. Those devices...if they do make it to market...should be compatible with VZW's network.

If not...there will be war.

Blanchardtech
Enthusiast - Level 2

Actually, the 950XL was CDMA certified but the 950 was not.  Qualcomm makes most of the internals for the XL.  Microsoft turned it off on both because Verizon has threatened to block them, so MS disabled the antennas ability to word with CDMA with software unless the MEID is registering to avoid a conflict.   CDMA has already been ordered decommissioned no later then 2021 so this crap will all go away in six years.  In the mean time feel free to join one of the pending lawsuits as the blocking of an otherwise functional device is a violation of several FCC and FTC regulations.   If you are under contract with all lines, you are out of luck, but if you are month to month on even one line and make an attempt to connect one of these phones you have recourse.  If Verizon blocks a functional certified device (the 950XLs are), they are subject to a massive fine ($ 25,000 per device rejected).   If you have do have a 950XL (all XLs are Unlocked) and it is blocked, be sure to contact the FCC as they can not officially file their pending lawsuit and injunction until they have a plaintiff who can show actual damages.   Don't think the FCC will go after them?   Google the AT&T case and see how nasty the FCC can get.

0 Likes