My Lumia 928 Review. good, bugs, defects,solutions
june1234
Enthusiast - Level 3

Ive had my app battery hog 928  for 3 weeks, app battery HOG. The VZ 928 is promoted by VZ as a 17hr continuous battery use, 21 hrs standby. True if you use it to for occasional photos or emails. Any navigation or game app Ive used on mine will drain battery down from 9 to 11% in 19 minutes. Im not the only 928 owner  with this issue. The hottest topic on windows mobile forum is battery issues, the 2nd hottest update issues.  That said Im keeping mine
The few Nokia apps are top notch including nag ones. Phone takes awesome photos, great music audio, call clarity, very quick ,responsive, user friendly platform. Keep a charger at home, one in the car and one at the office if you plan on using  apps on 928 often. No way you are getting 17 hrs continuous use from this phone is you use game or navigation apps; no way, more like 3hrs , 4 hrs on outside maybe if you're lucky. 928's  battery is an app HOG.

Update issues: Windows servers sync every 30 minutes, causing delays with  updates(another hot topic on windows forums); giving users outdated battery usage readings for example; same reason I think its hard to get a real time stock quote too on WP8.  You can usually solve that problem with a quick soft reset(pressing power and vol buttons at same time). Then you will have current battery usage data  .VZ tech support person I dealt with on these issues was clueless. All she could suggest was I do is a hard reset(equivalent of reformatting your hard drive on a PC). Same with windowscentarl forum, only terms they know: do soft resets. Go the source Nokia with any issue Call 1-888-665-4228

PS. much maligned Windows store. I call the 4 to 5 star app reviews on the slim pickings windows store pure fiction. I wouldn't bother reading any of em. On it   MaqQuest offers a voice, turn by turn, nav app that adjusts to drivers route. It doesn't. i got lost twice using it waiting for app to adjust; it never did, installed app twice.  2 emails to Mapquest "customer support" went unanswered.There are some great apps; top notch metrotube plays youtube , gmail syncs better than it did on my android. However it can be a trial and error process finding those good apps, most windows store apps are junk, good reviews fiction and they're are that many apps to begin with in the windows store.But its getting better; you will find em ;no quality control whatsoever when it comes to reviewing those apps the for sure and that's not an opinion

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: My Lumia 928 Review. good, bugs, defects,solutions
bejeans
Enthusiast - Level 3

Good review, thank you.

In just a few days of Lumia 928 ownership, battery life increased a good bit after following a pretty long laundry list of tips found on the Nokia forum for the 820 and 920: blocking apps from running in the background, using the back arrow to exit out of apps instead of tapping the windows icon (though I don't know the reason), turning off blue-tooth when not in use, and so on.

Is it okay to post a link to that post here? I guess I'll find out:

http://discussions.nokia.com/t5/Nokia-Lumia/Battery-information-and-Tips-for-Lumia-820-and-920/td-p/...  

I'm sure you and other experienced users are familiar with the tips - and I'm curious if you disagree with any of them - but maybe they'll help some newbies.

My only big gripe right now is that holding the phone for any length of time hurts my hand - not due to the straight edges, but the width. I wish there was a case with a strap, maybe elastic, on the back, that you could slip your fingers into like they have for one of the iPad cases. Yesterday I was talking for a long time to someone who was outdoors, and I couldn't get good enough sound quality on speaker, so had to hold the phone. (I haven't found a bluetooth device yet that's 1) comfortable enough and b) works well with glasses. I've tried about ten.)

Apps are fine for my fairly light usage.

0 Likes
bejeans
Enthusiast - Level 3

I tried to link to the Nokia page that lists ways to prolong battery life but the link wouldn't work. To get there, go to:

nokia.com > support (at the top of the page) > Lumia 928 (photo)    Ttoward the bottom of the page under "Top FAQs" one is called "how can I prolong battery life..."

0 Likes
june1234
Enthusiast - Level 3

I now know (no thanks to Nokia,MS or VZ) that the Lumias 928 lithium battery is designed to improve with successive charges. I'm getting bout 30% better now than a month ago. Nokia,MS and VZ should just communicate that upfront vs putting out these battery saving tips and  feigning  ignorance . WP8 gets an A. Nokia,MS and VZ "customer service" an  F, flunked time

0 Likes
SDLeMire
Enthusiast - Level 1

Have to agree with the Windows Phone Store observations.  Coming from an iPhone and the iTunes app store reviews were much more helpful and at least tried to seem somewhat professional, and I believe actually proofread so you wouldn't get the  reviews saying >Comment deleted< and all the reviews littered with stupidity. I can't even take this app store seriously at this point.

I have to add, though, that the lack of sound profiles and sound customization in general on this OS really feels like Amateur Hour.  Well at least the volume buttons are getting heavy use on this phone.

Also, the whole cloud concept seems like piece meal and afterthoughts.  Again, feels very amateur compared to iOS and Android. 

Hope MS gets their act together.  How long has this OS been out?  Let's get some actual updates with useful features.

>To comply with the VZW ToS, a comment and some words removed<

Message was edited by: Verizon Moderator><

0 Likes
june1234
Enthusiast - Level 3

I totally agree.  amateur stuff.  I wasted a lot of time with those "science fiction" app reviews. One vendor's 5 star rated app is a .pdf doc, just a prop for that same vendors paid version.The cloud backup is explained in detail on Nokia's site except it failed on mine, buggy as are most of the apps I downloaded then deleted. The few Nokia apps are top notch as is Nokia hardware.That OS is new , buggy.I think if you're already set up with  an MS account, use same windows apps you've been using on your PC., take some photos, make some calls, send some emails this phone will work for you otherwise  keep a backup phone handy; too bad that camera does take some awesome low light photos, no 1 reason I got it

0 Likes
demmo86rt
Champion - Level 3

I'd have to agree with this.  Unfortunately, I think WP8 is still at that point where they will accept almost any app, just so they can display the volume of the app store.  Coming from Android, this phone almost feels worthless to me due to the lack of apps.  I actually really like the phone itself, the UI, while different, is nice, everything seems to run real smooth, but they don't even have a real YouTube app.

june1234
Enthusiast - Level 3

I think metrotube app plays youtube pretty well on wp8 . Im with you . that app store is useless to anyone migrating from android or os. This phone works wellI think  if you already have a PC, an MS account , been working with certain windows apps, take some photos, make some calls . WP8 OS  is nice but buggie. Live tiles cant update properly cause window servers update each 1/2hr, hit or miss depending on when you check tiles, My skydrive app stopped both auto and manual uploading photos Aug10, did a factory reset but cloud backup failed

0 Likes