Re: NOTE: If Verizon fails to offer the new 950 or 950XL Windows phone, this Fall, you will be loosing me as a customer.
primortal
Master - Level 1

Incorrect on the 950/950XL being exclusive to AT&T.  AT&T is the first named carrier to carry at least the 950.

In this case, Microsoft said that its deal with AT&T is not exclusive to the carrier, and that the software titan was having discussions with other carriers both in the US and abroad about carrying both smartphones.

also

Correction, 1:54 p.m. PT: The deal between AT&T and Microsoft for the Lumia 950 is not an exclusive one.

Source: Microsoft's new Lumia phone will launch with AT&T in the US - CNET

Re: NOTE: If Verizon fails to offer the new 950 or 950XL Windows phone, this Fall, you will be loosing me as a customer.
dexman
Community Leader
Community Leader

As of now, only at&t is slated to carry the new phones. Verizon Wireless is out. That leaves T-Mobile, Sprint and Metro PCS as the major players in the US. BYOD will account for units on other carriers for sure...as long as their networks support GSM or the VoLTE bands that phones use.

0 Likes
primortal
Master - Level 1

AT&T has said they were carrying the 950 and no mention of carrying the 950 XL at all.  Plus there hasn't been any confirmation if VZW is or is not carrying either.  It takes a simple firmware update to allow those phones to work on VZW network.

0 Likes
FXi
Enthusiast - Level 2

I too will move my account.  Whoever DOES carry the 950 and 950XL is far more interested in having my business than a carrier who does not.  Clearly if it is not carried VZ did not learn the lesson very well from the Iphone drama that they caused before.  Carriers are just that.  I have many services/accounts with VZ.  Time to diversify.  And I don't expect a change in course.  What's decided is done.  And I don't care if I can't buy it "at VZ".  These phones must simply run (no gotchas or missing abilitiy/coverage) on the VZ network or it will be time to support another carrier.

If you want me back after that, well, you can write.  The very fact that I can't send you an email on this topic speaks volumes about where your "customer" sentiments have gone.

Bran_Nunya
Enthusiast - Level 1

As many others have stated, no 950/950XL support on Verizon and I'm out.  Off to AT&T I go.  Verizon can have their crappy WP support.

jnetSYNATK
Enthusiast - Level 2

In the same boat. We have 10 lines that we use with our family. All 10 lines will be moved if no Microsoft 950's. Really tired of the device discrimination.

Verizon is a joke when it comes to customer service. They are right up there with Comcast. They 'know' what you need and discriminate against you if your phone requirements do not fall in line with iPhone or Android.

Liberate.

Tidbits
Legend

Actually it still smells like one. If there is no exclusive deal then why not TALK to other carriers if they actually wanted to expand to other carriers. If they are not it screams there is one. Maybe not on paper but one artificially made by MS

Legere comes out and said they were interested.  Microsoft never even bothered to talk to them and theye said they were interested. MS still didn't talk to them then Legere called MS out. Then they recanted much of their statements.

http://pocketnow.com/2015/10/09/microsoft-lumia-950-att-exclusivity

0 Likes
primortal
Master - Level 1

There's speculation that Legere was just covering his own butt and blaming Microsoft.  Microsoft as not to piss off TMobile (or any other carrier) fell on it's own sword...

It just stinks to high (insert vulgarity here) all around.

In a perfect world I wish the FCC with prohibit the carriers from selling phones directly and allow anyone that's certified to develop and sell them.  If I remember correctly as a child be back in the olden day (east cost) with Bell telephones where you had to go to their office to purchase/rent a phone.

0 Likes
Tidbits
Legend

Sorry but when Legere flat out tells the public on his own and then media outlets start asking MS who's lying and then MS changes their response... MS isn't pushing their own product. Seriously this is a typical MS move I have grown to love. 

I am planning on buying an unlocked one, but I won't deny MS is being less than smart about what they are doing.

0 Likes
Tidbits
Legend

The problem. People want contracts and people want to hold carriers accountable for things that go wrong. Update not coming it's the carriers fault, but fact of the matter if people are going to hold them liable where the manufacturer should be then don't you think they would want some control? I wouldon't since no one is going to believe otherwise. See T-Mobile BYOD and how people blame them for everything even if they are hands off. Look how iphone people blame the carriers.

I am for buy outside use it where ever. MS could have done this with Verizon, but didn't. Block C gives them the ability to do so. See Motorola with their latest Moto X. No agreement but it works.

0 Likes