Nokia 822 really have data connection problems?
H0keyP0key
Enthusiast - Level 2

Today I went to my local verizon store to check out the 822 and think I'm in love. The UI seems so fast and simple I really wanted to take it home. I'm currently using a Droid Razr Maxx and have been having connectivity problems with both 3G and wifi and ready to get rid of android. While explaining this to the employee at the store she told me that the 822 was a horrible idea and that the connection problems were much worse. I had no problems using the floor model but of course this was an instant turn off. I decided to go through the insurance with my phone to get refurb in the mail, hopefully showing up tomorrow.

So, to current or past lumia owners, are you currently or have had connection issues with 3/4G or wifi? Has their been a recent update to fix an issue that perhaps the sales lady didn't know of? Doing a quick search on the internet came up with mostly positive reviews but want some user feedback before I go out and spend $400+ on an unsubsidized phone upgrade.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Nokia 822 really have data connection problems?
_yankees_
Contributor - Level 3

I have heard in the certain areas Verizon had huge problems with their 822 with people returning them. But that I believe could be regional or particular phones. I have HTC 8x on Verizon and I have never have any data loss problems. My advice is to get the phone and try it out for 14 days and if you experience any data loss or issues, return it.

0 Likes
primortal
Master - Level 1

I haven't had any connectivity issues with my 822 since I purchased it.  Granted I live in an area of NY that has a low LTE signal so my phone is constantly switching back-and-forth between 3G and LTE.  Wifi connectivity works like a champ; when I come home the phone instantly connect to my wireless network with no issues.

Like _yankees_ said it depends on where you live in regards to signal.  Try it for 14 days and see what happens.

0 Likes
scott21
Contributor - Level 2

No data issues with mine. But on other hand i never had issues with my S3 some people had.

0 Likes
molecule
Enthusiast - Level 2

I just posted a question asking others if they have problems similar to mine with the 822.  I live in central OH and - if you have a good LTE connection - the 822 is a GREAT phone.  My office has a poor LTE signal and, even though others on Verizon, with iPhone 4, 4s's, and 5s or with various Androids, seem to have no issues, I do.

I get to work really early and have NO ISSUES for the first couple of hours.  After the workday gets fully underway, with lots of people in the area, I often can't send or receive texts, or am unable to check email.  I also can't get or send texts when I go to Ohio State basketball games.  My wife, in the next seat, has no problems with her Verizon iPhone 4.  I also used to have no problem there with my HTC Trophy.

At home on the weekend, when I have a strong LTE signal, the 822 works flawlessly.

0 Likes
rcole02

I've had my 822 for several months now and have not experienced any connectivity issues. I live in Fort Walton Beach, FL. we have 4G everywhere here. When I travel it occaisionally switches to 3G and haven't had any issues with that either. Recently, my wife and I were driving from Virginia down I-95 and watched a couple of movies via Netflix. Ok, I listened while she watched since driving and watching a movie don't mix too well. The movie only buffered a couple of times during shows. I assume that we due to going through dead spots between towers. All in all, a great phone!

0 Likes
disappointedcustomer2

I have the 822. It worked great for four months. Then, it started telling me my storage was full. It was not recognizing my SD card. I bought a new one, and it didn't work. I was on the phone with tech for an hour. They supposedly documented everything and ordered me a new phone. The very next day, my phone started going haywire. Email wouldn't work right. I was getting weird notifications. And, all of a sudden, I went from having used barely any data (I never got close to going over my plan.) to increasing to 50%. I stopped using data. The next day it was up to 75%. I talked to another rep. The previous employee never ordered my phone or documented anything I said. They increased my plan, of course, and have promised to reimburse me. The phone was supposed to be overnighted, but I checked today, and it still hadn't been sent yet. While my phone was completely shut off and all data disabled, I somehow used 1G more. ?? After I turned it back on, I waited about thirty minutes. It had gone up another 1G. I called Verizon, talked to a rep for 5 minutes, got off phone, and it had risen another .2G in that 5 minutes. By the way, I do not watch movies or download music. I have approximately 5 apps. All of my background data is turned off.

Do they have problems with data? YES. Problems recognizing SD cards? Absolutely. The rep said the Windows phone in general was having this problem, but was supposedly fixed after an update. It didn't fix mine. Are there customer service issues? You bet.

Should I have cancelled my plan last fall after having issues w/ Verizon for the 2 previous years? yes, yes, yes. I am now contemplating forking over my raise next month to cancel my plan, trash my phone, and take my business elsewhere.

0 Likes
KATHUTCHINS

I just got my 822 last week.  Am contemplating sending it back for a android.  This phone does not tell me some of my missed calls.  Does not show tell me the phone number of people who leave messages in the voice mail like my old phone did.  Will beep 3 times for a missed call when you have it on silent.  Places all your messages for a certain number on a "thread" which is great for a computer but not phone.  I have had the screen go black on me when I answer a call and you play he double toothpick trying to get it to come back on so you can end the call or try to put that call on speaker.  It has done this to me a number of times but it is intermittent.  Have all my data turned off via the Verizon website yet my phone is still ticking off a small amount of data.  My picture text are supposed to be on my unlimited text so not sure what is using the data.  Seems that some of the stuff I do while on wifi is still using data.  Been home all day today on wifi and it has still used data.  Also, when I called regarding a problem right after I got it I was told I could get a class on this phone and they told me the location nearest me I could get the class at.  But when I looked online that store only offered classes on Android and Iphone.  Called that store and they said they do not give classes on the Windows phone.  So far looks like this phone may go back.

0 Likes
primortal
Master - Level 1

The phone does show miss calls; on the lock screen and the phone title.

Correct the phone will lookup the number called in your contact to find a matching contact, if found it will display the persons name instead of the number.

IMHO threaded messaging is much better than having all the message clumped together.  For me its easier to find a specific persons text via grouping then spending time weeding through all my texts.

The screen goes black do to the proximity sensor this is to save battery life and there is no need to have the screen on when the phone is close to your head.  Make sure you have the latest updates on your phone, I think the issue of turning the screen back on again has been updated.

Picture text is DATA (images are binary not text) so it will use your data.  If you have WiFi configured to only connect when you unlock your phone it will use data when off.

0 Likes
KarenLieberman

This started to be a problem for my Nokia 822 too in June -- out of nowhere, cellualar connections will not work.  If I don't have WIFI on, can't connect to Apps store or internet sites.  Backup Assistant won't work at all - on WIFI or cellualr.  Phone is not for the long haul.  Waiting for my free upgrade with bated breath to get back to iPhone or Android world.

0 Likes