Nokia Device on Verizon!
jsh17001
Contributor - Level 1

http://wmpoweruser.com/confirmed-nokia-windows-phone-8-device-coming-to-verizon-later-this-year/

Confirmation of Nokia WP8 device on Verizon. Hope this is the beginning of thing to come.............

Labels (1)
Tags (2)
0 Likes
Re: Nokia Device on Verizon!
jrlrph
Enthusiast - Level 2

It looks from reports however that they are only adding the low end version of the new nokia phones which is once again disappointing to hear.  I have been with Verizon since the first cell phones and even though I have never had complaints about their service or their network but they continually let me down with their one dimensional thinking on their devices.  I've never liked the iphone platform even after having to navigate my kids' itouch's.  iphones operate on a mess of unorganized apps that don't coordinate with anything related to the device.  Android systems are better but still not satisfied.  I've been loyal to Blackberry for years mostly because they're functional, easy to use, and efficient but now the OS is lagging too much for me.  I'm ready for a change and I think Windows Phone OS is the best new platform I've seen.  I may have to suffer with AT&T's network at this rate...  If they say they're going to back a third OS because they are getting reamed by apple and obviously are practically in bed with google they need to fully invest in it!

0 Likes
Tidbits
Legend

Maybe Verizon is waiting to see how well the platform does before investing large sums of money into the platform. The Droid for example wasn't all that high end and there was better spec Android devices coming out and yet Verizon has put some serious investments to it. So if windows 8 gains considerable market share Verizon will dump some cash into it.

0 Likes
jrlrph
Enthusiast - Level 2

I can understand after the Kin failure that they would have been hesitant before, and no sense bringing on a 7.5 version without an upgradable future, but they also took forever to start carrying the iphone and they still haven't committed fully with the 4g version.  They lose money on every iphone they sell but they're willing to carry them.  If they want to wait that's fine but they shouldn't come out publicly and announce that they're behind the window's phone as a third platform if they're really not behind it. 

0 Likes
Tidbits
Legend

jrlrph wrote:

I can understand after the Kin failure that they would have been hesitant before, and no sense bringing on a 7.5 version without an upgradable future, but they also took forever to start carrying the iphone and they still haven't committed fully with the 4g version.  They lose money on every iphone they sell but they're willing to carry them.  If they want to wait that's fine but they shouldn't come out publicly and announce that they're behind the window's phone as a third platform if they're really not behind it. 

How could they carry the iPhone when AT&T had an exclusive agreement for a VERY long time?

Also what do you mean fully committed with the 4G version?  Before Verizon made the decree that all devices must meet 4G and IPV6 going forward the iPhone was already out, and speculation is all we see for the iPhone 5.  We don't even know if Verizon is going to carry it at all.

They are behind Windows Phones, but not to your liking right now.  Personally I am glad they waited to bring out new devices.  Imagine all the spam of hate and rants if people found out their new device won't get Windows 8?  Who's to say AT&T or T-Mobile went exclusive on certain devices which why Verizon can't get a higher end version(much like the iPhone for a long time)?  Only time will tell if they are for real, and if Verizon is fully behind it or not.

0 Likes
21stNow
Master - Level 1

jrlrph wrote:

It looks from reports however that they are only adding the low end version of the new nokia phones which is once again disappointing to hear.  I have been with Verizon since the first cell phones and even though I have never had complaints about their service or their network but they continually let me down with their one dimensional thinking on their devices.  I've never liked the iphone platform even after having to navigate my kids' itouch's.  iphones operate on a mess of unorganized apps that don't coordinate with anything related to the device.  Android systems are better but still not satisfied.  I've been loyal to Blackberry for years mostly because they're functional, easy to use, and efficient but now the OS is lagging too much for me.  I'm ready for a change and I think Windows Phone OS is the best new platform I've seen.  I may have to suffer with AT&T's network at this rate...  If they say they're going to back a third OS because they are getting reamed by apple and obviously are practically in bed with google they need to fully invest in it!

What?!

We obviously have different perspectives on this, because the last thing that I would consider a BlackBerry is "easy to use".  Since we have opposing viewpoints on mobile operating systems I think that you will like Windows Phone, too.  I will describe Windows Phone as easy to use, though not always intuitive.  Once you learn it though, it can become routine.  It seems like that was your experience with BlackBerry, that once you learned it, it became routine.

0 Likes
jrlrph
Enthusiast - Level 2
0 Likes
Tidbits
Legend

Means nothing... Did people actually read the verdict? The ban is for old devices which were still being sold at retail. Most people would opt to buy the newer hardware so it will not affect their sales. I believe the surface will be more of a game changer than mobile phones with Windows 8.

0 Likes
jrlrph
Enthusiast - Level 2

Means nothing?? That's a pretty short sited opinion.  What the verdict does is increase the publics' negative view of Apple and their control of the market and makes Samsung rethink any future smartphone software platform.  Once Windows 8 comes out people will be much more tempted to stick to a consistent cross platform OS between phone and PC.  The last time I checked Android has no computer market share and Macs are too top end for average people to afford or for most business to want bow to apple's sole control of their product. Not to mention that the Lumia 920 makes both Iphone and Android OS look tired, old, and out of date.  Just wait, time will tell.

0 Likes
Tidbits
Legend

jrlrph wrote:

Means nothing?? That's a pretty short sited opinion.  What the verdict does is increase the publics' negative view of Apple and their control of the market and makes Samsung rethink any future smartphone software platform.  Once Windows 8 comes out people will be much more tempted to stick to a consistent cross platform OS between phone and PC.  The last time I checked Android has no computer market share and Macs are too top end for average people to afford or for most business to want bow to apple's sole control of their product. Not to mention that the Lumia 920 makes both Iphone and Android OS look tired, old, and out of date.  Just wait, time will tell.

It does mean nothing.  It's not short cited opinion.  If you actually read peoples responses after the verdict you'd understand it means NOTHING.  Samsung has already rethought their software and their sales increased.  Since the S2 they did a shift in design and software changes and still gained market share.

0 Likes