Nokia Icon Overheating
Mosomma

Hey all, I have had this Nokia Icon for about a month. If i do any serious usage more the 10+ minutes plus the phone becomes so hot that i have to put it down. Is the a fix or is this just the nature of the phone

Thanks

Mo

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Nokia Icon Overheating
primortal
Master - Level 1

It definitely not the nature of the phone.

Do you have the 8.1 (Developers Preview) installed?  If so do have Cortona pinned to the start screen?  If so remove her.

Does the overheating occur right out of the box; no apps installed?

0 Likes
BDub43
Enthusiast - Level 3

A couple of things.  On the initial setup the phone does tend to heat up quite a bit which is usual because you are downloading email, contacts, Facebook, twitter, etc. updates.  The other thing is when you are playing gamse and other graphic intense things it will heat up.  I would also recommend turning on Wi-Fi Sense.  If you have 8.1 installed removing Cortona from the start screen doesn't do anything so leave it if it is there (looks pretty cool).  If you do not have it I recommend you join the developer preview and update to 8.1.1,  I did and I have notice that on 8.1.1 my phone does run cooler but I also use the gel case on my phone.  No matter what, if you run graphic intense games they will rev up the processor and gpu, it I something that all high end devices experience.  Its something new to get use to if you are going to purchase high-end devices.  If you every reset your phone and restore a backup the same thing will happen.  By the way after you do a major update it is best to hard reset and restore your phone from the last backup.

0 Likes
primortal
Master - Level 1

BDub43 wrote:

If you have 8.1 installed removing Cortona from the start screen doesn't do anything so leave it if it is there (looks pretty cool).

I know several people that have the Icon including myself and when Cortona is on the start screen at times will cause the phone to go into incinerate mode and chew up the battery. Since removing her from the Start screen my phone has only gotten warm/hot with activity of my own doing.  Others reported the same results removing Cortona from the start screen.

From what I understand part of the problem is low reception.

I'm hoping when VZW releases Cyan or Denim I can put Cortona back on the Start screen.

0 Likes
BDub43
Enthusiast - Level 3

I think it was just at that moment and they think removing it did something. I do not have any issues. I think once Cortona filters through all the data in your email, contact, etc. initially it require much fewer cycles to go through the new data that is added through out the day. Additionally you also have to really manage your background activities. When my phone has gotten to what I think is too warm, I have also noticed that I had 5 or more items running in the background and my browser has had a bunch of tabs open. So definitely manage what programs can stay active in the background. This is a highly configurable device; with all the new features and multi-tasking you really need to understand some of the nuances..... you are running 4 cores and 2gb of ram. This thing has as much RAM as a Dell Venue 8 Pro Tablet Win 8.1 tablet

0 Likes
primortal
Master - Level 1

Nope, it would be fine for days without overheating then it would act up out of the blue and calm down for awhile after a soft reset.  There was no predictability of its occurrence and it has nothing to do with her learning.  I can reproduce the problem by just putting her back on my Start screen and wait a period of days and wallah incinerate mode.  Same with others.  Like I said it's believed to be related with low reception situations.

0 Likes
Mosomma

OK thanks guys i do have I am use the developer version 8.310.141527.200. after doing my emails and some remote stuff it starts to over heat to the touch, I don't believe that Cortona has anything to do with this. But when do driving nav or something like that. It like an oven. But i don't have a good signal in my office, could that be it

0 Likes
primortal
Master - Level 1

GPS navigation will definitely heat up the phone.

I haven't had heat problems in regards to emails.  The remote stuff, is that remote desktop?  Then yes being it's heavily using video and network.

0 Likes
Mosomma

This is correct, The Icon is a work phone i am testing out with windows 8.1. I have a Galaxy Note 3 for personal use and does not have any use like this. I can use for hours and it stays cool. I just don't get it. I will be sending back to Nokia and get a loaner just to see what the say.

0 Likes
jharris326
Contributor - Level 1

As both of the others said high usage of the CPU/GPU will heat up any device not just phones.  I see it on laptops all the time.  The Cyan update may help since it does fix a number of issues and allows for the changes to the OS to be better handled.

0 Likes