Skip to main content
Accessibility Resource Center Skip to main content
Get up to $500 when you bring your phone. Plus, get the incredible iPhone 13 Pro on us. Online only. With select 5G Unlimited plans. Ends 12.5. Buy now
end of navigation menu
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
***Announcement: We’re excited to inform you that we will be merging the Fios and Wireless Communities to a unified Verizon Community with a new look and feel throughout. If you are interested in what specifically has changed, please see the New Revamped Community article under the Featured Topics.***
Nokia Lumia 822 - Application Issues
ScotSnow

First – I apologize in advance for the length of this post – I just wanted to provide as much detail as I could to help others that might run into problems like I did.

I just got my Nokia Lumia 822 for Verizon and had some issues that I believe were related to the phone being set up for English United Kingdom instead of English USA.

When the associate was done setting up my phone, I started using it and noticed immediately that the virtual keyboard was set for UK English (it displayed a co.uk button instead of a .com button).  I went into Settings > System > Keyboard and Settings > System > language+region and switched from English UK to English USA, and I thought everything would be fine.

Although phone functionality, texting, 4G, WiFi, and voice mail from the Verizon Wireless Phone application all worked, and I was able to download applications from the Windows App Store, I had the following issues:

• My Verizon Mobile hangs at “Loading Resources…” screen
  • Voicemail application – got “SIM Error – Unable to read SIM Data” error message
  • Settings > System > Nokia account – got “Hardware Problem – Couldn’t Complete Operation” error message
  • Settings > System > Backup Assistant Plus – would not start and returned directly to Settings > System menu
  • Settings > System > extras+info – would not start and returned directly to Settings > System menu

I took the phone to my local Verizon Wireless store and they told me that it looked like a hardware problem and that I should return it for an exchange where I purchased the phone. I also called Verizon Tech Support, and the support assistant tried a couple of things before coming to the same conclusion – that the hardware was probably faulty and I should exchange my phone for a new one.

I decided to ensure that my SIM card was seated properly, so I popped off the back cover, removed the battery, then removed my SD Card and SIM Tray, then reinserted everything and put the back cover back on.  When the phone booted up, I noticed that the App Store had 6 updates for the apps that I was having trouble with.  I went into the App Store and downloaded the updates, and now encountered the following problems:

• My Verizon Mobile now launched, but I got an error message that the app could not connect to the network.
  • Voicemail application – still got “SIM Error”
  • Settings > System > Nokia account – still got “Hardware Problem”
  • Settings > System > Backup Assistant Plus – application launched but I got an error message
  • Settings > System > extras+info – now worked, and displayed version information about my phone and OS version

Finally, I went into Settings > System > about and pressed the reset your phone button.  When it booted, I went through the initial setup screens and selected the default language (English USA).  I noticed that English UK was right above the default selection, and I believe the associate who did the setup in the store selected this instead of clicking on the default.  After selecting that I wanted to restore my data from the cloud, and waiting for about 5 minutes for this to complete, I was glad to see that all of the functionality now worked as expected.

So to make a long story short, before assuming you have a bad piece of hardware, try using Settings > System > about – reset your phone – just in case it was set up incorrectly at the store.

Labels (1)