Nokia Lumia 822 & HTC 8x sends garbled text characters to some phones
snulph

I have a strange issue on a new Nokia Lumia 822 on the Verizon network. What is happening is that any text message the 822 sends out to any basic phone results in garbled text and special characters displayed. However, if the basic phone sends a text to the 822, the text is readable. You can see what I am talking about in the attached picture. This does not happen if a text is sent to any type of smartphone...in this case the text is received and readable as expected. Also, if I send a mms that includes a picture with text to these same basic phones, the text can be read just fine. I was on the phone with Verizon tech support for 2 hours and we were not able to fix it. The finally told me to go get the phone replaced. After getting a new 822 and sim card, the same problem is happening. Not quite sure what to do about this and/or if this is just a Verizon issue.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Nokia Lumia 822 sends garbled text to any basic phone
primortal
Master - Level 1

Does the same thing happen with a different (non WP8) smartphone texting to a basic phone?

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

I have heard of this happening when one phone has an emoji (spell?) keyboard or special characters in the message. I think it happens to iphones more often.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
snulph

No, if the basic phone receives a text from an Android or iphone device, the text message received is readable.

I am not sure about the keyboard layout but it is set to English (US) in the settings. When we sent the test text messages to the basic phone there were no special characters, emotioncons or signature sent. It just contained English characters.

0 Likes
lavagarry
Enthusiast - Level 2

I tried this in a Verizon store from a Nokia 822 just over the weekend and the text showed up fine on my wife's ancient phone.  It's an old LG with a cracked outer screen she *refuses* to give up.  Admittedly all I sent was "hi" and "it's me not some stalker" (since she didn't recognize the store phone number) but it all came through OK. Not heard of this issue but you might try the forums over at http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/winphone/forum/wp8 or http://www.wpcentral.com  as well if you haven't already.

0 Likes
JRG33
Enthusiast - Level 1

This issue is unfortunately very real.  We got the Nokia 822 for my wife Friday night and both my Blackberry and my daughter's Brightside get garbled texts.  It doesn't matter how long or short they are.  My other daughter's iPods receive the texts just fine.

espete

Yep, we have 2 822 that do this.  It looks like its just when you text certain phones on the Verizon network. Both my mom and sister have the Samsung Brightside and both my brothers have Pre's, all on Verizon. Everybody we text, expect for them, is fine. Info from this thread  http://forums.wpcentral.com/nokia-lumia-822/203561-sending-sms-receiver-getting-ascii-characters-ins... seams to indicate that its a Verizon issue because texts to a Pre on Sprint went through fine. As JRG said its also not working to his Blackberry. I  went into my corporate store today (I had first went in Friday, but was told to wait until my 72 hours after porting my number from Sprint because that might have be it, but it wasn't.) They called back into tech support and gave them the numbers that the texts don't work on. So at least they should know about this issue. Lets hope it doesn't take to long for a solution.

0 Likes
snulph

I am starting to think that this is a Verizon issue rather than a manufacturer issue. The reason for this is that I have seen the HTC 8x do this on the Verizon network as well. The other thing is that I have asked a contact that has the Lumia 920 on another carriers network to test this problem. This phone does not send the unreadable text messages to the same phones where the 822 has the problem.

0 Likes
herbm
Enthusiast - Level 2

I just had someone complain to me about this when I responded to a txt...both of us are on verizon....

0 Likes
KevinRush
Enthusiast - Level 2

Is there any news on this issue?  It's not just a "basic phone" issue.

I received my Lumia 822 yesterday. 

My texts from my Lumia 822 to my wife (on Verizon too) are garbled when she received them. 

She has a Windows Mobile 6.5 smartphone (HTC TouchPro2.  The TouchPro2 was a great phone for it's time.  Her HTC 8X is due at the end of the month.)   

Her texts to me are correct and readable, just as they should be.

Thoughts?  I'm headed over to WPCentral.

0 Likes