Nokia Lumia 822 won't charge??
dfranke12

I was super psyched to get the new Nokia Lumia 822 last April when it came out after I had had issues with my old phone. It was time for my upgrade so I finally got to pick my own phone instead of a hand-me-down from my dad. Well we were both so impressed by it in the first month, that my dad got the same phone. This January, when I hadn't even had it for a year yet, it started acting funny when I charged it. It would charge, but I had to wiggle the cord around some. By the time it was February, I had to wrap the cord 3 different ways around the phone to get it to charge. I tried other chargers to make sure that wasn't the issue, and it wasn't. By March, I could barely get a charge on my phone, and my dad's phone began to do the same thing. We both take good care of our phones. Mine gets dropped once in awhile, but I have had no shattered screen, no pieces missing, nothing that makes any bad noises, nothing. And I kept a phone case on it anytime I was going on a trip or anything. And same goes for my dad. So we went in and got my phone looked at near the end of March. My dad started using a different phone we had from before because he needed one for work. My phone was still under warranty so they sent a new one to my house and I got it about a week later.

It is currently the very beginning of July. I have had my phone roughly 3 months. And it has completely stopped charging. I tried wrapping the cord, I tried holding the charger in place, I tried other chargers, I tried plugging it into the computer, and nothing. It vibrates and pulls up the charging icon, but it isn't charging. In fact, last night I had a little less than half battery and plugged in my phone for the night, I woke up this morning, and it was "charging" but the battery had less juice in it than it had last night. When they replaced my phone, it was only the body of my phone. But we had swapped batteries when the issue started, my dad and I, and there was no change in the charging problem. So it isn't an issue with the charger or the battery. I read elsewhere that someone else got a wireless charging unit, but I don't want to spend money on something that isn't my fault. And this phone is in better shape than the last one, but hasn't lasted nearly as long. So what is going on with my phone? Can I get an upgrade or something from Verizon Wireless so I don't have to deal with this issue? I'm only 16, but I'm to a point where I almost want to switch carriers just so I don't have to deal with this. What's going on??

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Nokia Lumia 822 won't charge??
dfranke12

It finally turned on again after about 2 hours of trying to get some kind of charge going. But it was positioned very carefully for about 30 minutes with absolutely no interaction before it started back up. Still would very much appreciate some answers.

0 Likes
primortal
Master - Level 1

Did you get a brand new phone or a refurbished?  I'd ask for another phone being this one seems to have a defect in charging.

The 822 are a very solid phone and I have one since it was released and never had a problem with it and many of my friends who have one and passed down don't have any problems with it.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

dfranke12 You definitely deserve answers! Let's get to the bottom of the charging issue. Based on you stating the charger has to be positioned carefully, and since you've tried different chargers it appears the charging port on the device is causing the issue. It could be loose or slightly dented. If this is happening with 2 phones then it could be an issue with how the chargers are being inserted. If the charger is forced in this can damage the port on the inside. Have you taken this replacement to the store? We can send another replacement but we want to make sure we find out why this keeps happening. 

Sheritah_vzw
Follow us on Twitter
@VZWSupport

0 Likes
Colton2012

It's a problem with the phone.  The Nokia Support Forum is full of complaints of this.  And seems most have the problem around the same time - 10 months of use. 

0 Likes
Colton2012

Verizon Customer Support - Your response is interesting because the Nokia website forums section has 100's of this same complaint.  So all of the phone carriers must know since it's a very common problem. 

0 Likes
primortal
Master - Level 1

My wife has my old 822 and I've had it since it was released.  Charges flawlessly and lasts about 2 days of minimal usage via wireless charging.  I wonder if they made changes to the hardware since it was released that's could be causing the problem.

0 Likes
bigglzworth

Same exact thing, 10 months of use and now the charging port is shot.  Looks like I'm going to have to switch back to a BB until it's time to upgrade again and it sure as hell won't be another Nokia Windows phone.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Oh no, bigglzworth & others! We want to see if we can prevent that from happening. If you are still within warranty and there is no damage to the Lumia 822, we can send a replacement to you.

TamaraH_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
AO180
Enthusiast - Level 3

Replace your battery cover with a Qi charger battery cover, which Verizon sells. Next, order a cheap Qi charger from Amazon. You won't have to bother with the port ever again... unless you're transferring files via USB.

0 Likes