Nokia Lumia 928 - After update, auto dialing contacts I just want to look at
bejeans
Enthusiast - Level 3

In my Nokia Lumia 928, after the 8.1 update, if I want to simply look at a contact in my phone book and tap on it, the phone automatically dials the number. It didn't used to do that.  If there is more than one number for a contact - say cell and work - it allows me to see the numbers and choose one. But if there is only one number, as soon as I tap on the contact, the number is dialed. That means I can't look at contacts to get info. Is there any way to change settings so it won't auto-dial? Thanks.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Nokia Lumia 928 - After update, auto dialing contacts I just want to look at
Julius
Enthusiast - Level 3

That feature is now available in your phones "People" hub, under "Contacts."

View solution in original post

Re: Nokia Lumia 928 - After update, auto dialing contacts I just want to look at
Julius
Enthusiast - Level 3

That feature is now available in your phones "People" hub, under "Contacts."

bejeans
Enthusiast - Level 3

I've looked through all settings in Contacts in the People hub and don't see a setting to stop auto-dialing if you tap a name that has only one phone number.

0 Likes
psiu_glen
Enthusiast - Level 2

I haven't done the update because I saw stuff like this in the Dev Preview on my 520. Previously, the dialer would act as you described -- tapping on the contact would bring up the details. Now, however, they severely neutered everything available in the Dialer and also don't allow full access to the People hub from within it.

Before you could access all of your contacts, now you only access a limited "phonebook" subset and the action is as you describe. Previously, if you wanted to dial a number in recent calls, you simply tapped the circled dial icon to the left, and could tap that persons name to bring up their details. Now, however, tapping their name goes directly to dialing them. And you don't get easy access to call duration, like by having it fit in underneath the calls -- no, you need dig down and get that info and probably accidentally call half a dozen people in the process.

*grumble grumble grumble*

I just realized my 928 won't work fully on Verizon since I've had it on AT&T for awhile so I need to hard reset. I think I will just keep my 928 on WP8 with an intact People/Photos hub, functional Music+Videos, and then update my Icon to Denim with the new camera software that will actually run on it when it is available and use it as a glorified point & shoot.

0 Likes
bsites1968
Contributor - Level 2

There is a difference between Phone Book (you get into it through the phone tile and then the phone book button at the bottom) and the People Hub...for a reason.  When you go into the Phone tile, the expectation is to make a call.  When in the People Hub, the expectation is to view the contact.  In the History, which automatically comes up with the Phone tile, you can then see the icon to the right of the recent names which allows you to view their contact information via the People Hub.  Hope that helps.

bejeans
Enthusiast - Level 3

Thank you - and to Julius too. What threw me is that the contacts page looks the same whether accessing it through the People Hub or the Phone Book, but I just tapped on some names and of course you're right.

Kind of odd though, that you have to go to one place to call and another to read, though you can use the People Hub to both read and call. Why even have the Phone tile then...

And thanks for everyone's help - nice community.

Beth

0 Likes
bsites1968
Contributor - Level 2

The phone tile is seemingly for faster access for those that make a lot of calls.  Same with the messaging tile.  You don't have to have all three tiles on your screen, but I tend to simply because two of them offer faster access to those specific actions.  There are other tiles you can create, such as those for your individual people you contact the most, that assist in better speed for the functions you prefer.  I really enjoy the more advanced customization of the Windows Phone interface.  It's great that we can all set it up to how we use it best.  The more you use it and play with these customization options, the less time you'll eventually have to spend doing your every day functions.  And we all know it's better to enjoy our moments in time with people instead of machines.  Smiley Happy

0 Likes