Re: Nokia Lumia - Here Comes Denim Firmware
Not applicable

The only problem is Verizon spoke to you to placate you. I can tell you that the FCC cannot compel Verizon wireless to put any updates on your device. Search the web and there is no regulation or policy or court decision to make them do anything on updates.

You cannot have constraint of trade regarding any updates versus the device makers wanting to sell devices with different features or functions.

I will use an example in the last couple of months I purchased a new Chrysler 200s and it has a computer nav system. The dealer told me that it was up to date. However 22 days later my console alerted me to a firmware update. The update cost me $175 so I called the sales man and he said that should not have happened. But he does not have any control over the update. It is not going to hurt my car if I don't update but my weather and traffic will or may be inaccurate. I cannot blame Chrysler so who do I call? NavQ who tell me the updated disc is available at the dealership. But again one deflect to the other.

I could file a charge at a local government agency, but it does not make sense since it is not a safety issue or a recall. The same applies to updates on devices.

It worked when purchased it will work now without updates.

I wonder how many Verizon customers would take offense if the updates came faster but there was say a $100 charge to acquire it.

Something to think about.

JIce88
Enthusiast - Level 3

Elector and others,

I'm sure you have a lot of fun coming on here to play Debbie Downers to others trying to push an issue, but I have to respect the people who push issues. Verizon's silence on updates may not be a legal issue, it is certainly a customer service issue.

AT&T has already updated all of their WP's to Cyan firmware and that is something that myself and other Verizon customers are looking at in terms of our next purchase. AT&T has just as good of reception in the places where I live and work, so why shouldn't I switch carriers when possible to those who support my device of choice/purchase? Verizon simply has to ask itself if losing a single % point of its customers to their top competitor is worth their current policy of poor support/communication. I would think not, but at this point they seem to think so.

Not applicable

Fun? Not really

I pity folks who come here stating how this carrier provided updated OS or patches faster or who care about their customers or who post erroneous complaint information to force verizon to update any device be it Windows or Android devices.

The device when purchased came with an OS that worked. Period.

Verizon and other carriers are not obligated to do upgrades.

They provide you access to the cellular and data network

For an example, you leave for AT&T and at another do called got to have update comes along and AT&T does not give it.

Should you then simply complain as with verizon and then leave for Sprint? T-Mobile?

It is a vicious cycle.

JIce88
Enthusiast - Level 3

Elector

You are clearly telling people to not even complain about their dissatisfaction. AT&T did a great job getting their devices updated to Cyan, so why should I not switch when it becomes practical. AT&T has earned my respect, and that respect will hold till they lose it. Fortunately for Verizon I'm contract bound to them for now. It's won't be a vicious cycle if atleast on company shows a commitment to the platform.

Tidbits
Legend

Go to their forums... Understand what Elector is saying. Next time around your opinion will change. AT&T isn't always the last. Verizon isn't always either. It's a crapshoot base on which development team from the manufacturer completes their projects first.

Not applicable

I am not saying to complain I  am saying the complaints belong on the Device Makers and the OS developers.

I am trying to tell you that you don't need any update. It was not purchased with Cyan or Denim and the phone worked

If and when any update gets to you it will be a bonus. It evidently takes time

Some carriers may be faster or slower.

Just be patient.

There is more to life than cell phone updates.

Take long walks, sit out in the yard, have fun.

JIce88
Enthusiast - Level 3

Yes, their forums are filled with the people who were last to get it, but at least AT&T did a rollout of it and now completed. I'm sure if Verizon released Cyan for Icon and 928, 822 users would feel a little left behind, but atleast the 822 users would know some effort was put into it.

0 Likes
Tidbits
Legend

JIce88 wrote:

Yes, their forums are filled with the people who were last to get it, but at least AT&T did a rollout of it and now completed. I'm sure if Verizon released Cyan for Icon and 928, 822 users would feel a little left behind, but atleast the 822 users would know some effort was put into it.

Like I said...  This time around... Next time around and they are last then what?  AT&T isn't always the first.  They gained your respect and would they just as quickly lose it the next time around?  What if Verizon was first next time around?  Before this recent update just basic fixes AT&T and Verizon were dead last...

Miebeling

is updating to 8.1 through the dev app worth it? i really would like the update and am tired of waiting.

0 Likes
BlackDimension
Enthusiast - Level 3

FCC Consumer complaints have historically and recently forced the hand of the carriers (often Verizon) with the following issues:  unfair billing, bait and switch selling, telemarketing scams, data throttling, dead towers, use of unlocked phones with other carriers, refusing to move phone numbers to new phones, and more.

I wonder what specific rules or laws were in place that hit all of these areas?  Just because there is not a law or rule for it does not mean that there is nothing that can or should be done.  How are laws and rules put into place?  By enough people saying "this makes sense" and a governing official starting the process to make it rule or law.  I, among many others, feel that it is not fair for carriers to intentionally "throttle" or "limit" their customers from updates in a timely manner, especially those that improve the experience and functionality of the device.

Let's take the Lumia ICON for example.  Hardware has 4 microphones capable of recording in Dolby 5.1.  However, this does not work without 8.1.  This is listed as a feature on the phone, and the software to support it is available, yet Verizon drags their feet on releasing it.  Customers committing to a 2 year contract for a device should be able to expect expect new features to be "unlocked" or added if the manufacturer has released the software for that device.  How is this different than carriers blocking the "tethering" ability for phones, and charging extra for it as a "feature" - until they got in trouble for that?  If they are intentionally manipulating customers to be persuaded to "buy a new device" because they don't want to release an update that makes an older phone more useful, how is this a fair practice?  How about the new "allow unlocking phones law".  That came to be by CONSUMERS getting 110,000 signatures in a petition to allow phone unlocking to be legal.  I choose to be a consumer that speaks out on what I think are unfair practices by carriers, ultimately manipulating or taking advantage of their customers.

I think the underlying problem with all of this is that the rules and regulators forming those rules are behind the times.  Technology is changing rapidly, and there are many questions as to who owns the right to limit a devices capabilities if the manufacturer of that device has released updates that improve upon or fix problems with said device.  This goes well beyond topics of phone device OS/Software upgrades.  It will soon apply to cars, smart TV's, tablet devices, etc.

One more thought.  What would people do if a computer manufacturer, lets say HP or Lenovo, using Microsoft Windows 8 decided to limit the ability to install patches or enhancements on some hardware, but include it on "newer" hardware?  Let's say that hardware was leased by a business, and they were locked into a 2 year commitment.  What then?  Would there be outrage?  Would there be complaints to governing authorities trying to get laws put in place to prevent that kind of abuse or incompetency?  Or - would nothing happen and the business would have to go find another company to lease from and hope they don't do the same thing?