Nokia Lumia Icon—Dropped Calls and Reboots
tjfriday

I switched from a HTC 8X to a Nokia Lumia Icon 10 days ago.  I have also previously owned a Nokia Lumia 928.  I am experiencing many dropped calls and lots of random rebooting that I have not experienced on either of the previous phones even after all of the various software updates they have received (including the recent Black Update).

Sitting at my desk, with one bar less than max bars for signal, the phone will drop the call during an hour-long conference call 3-4 times.  A call drop is usually preceded by a degradation in call quality (sound cutting in and out) for about 5 seconds and then the call simply drops.  Neither of my previous phones did this in the same location.  The previous phones didn’t drop calls much at all unless I was in an unusual location that had understandably poor signal quality.

As for the random reboots, the phone hasn’t gone for more than 1.5 days without rebooting itself.  When the reboots occur, the phone is usually sitting on my desk or is in my pocket without any interaction happening.  The phone doesn’t feel warm when it happens.  Last night, while sitting at my desk at home, I watched the phone reboot 3 times within a span of about 45 minutes.  When I moved the phone to my bedroom, there were no further reboots that I saw.

I performed a complete factory reset again over the weekend and reloaded apps and got my Start Screen back to usual, but this behavior continues.

What next steps should I take, Verizon?

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Nokia Lumia Icon—Dropped Calls and Reboots
primortal
Master - Level 1

I haven't had any dropped calls with my Icon so far and it hasn't rebooted once as-far-as I know.

I'd get a replacement and see if that resolves the issue.

When you did a factory reset did you leave it as it and see if it randomly rebooted; with out your apps installed?  If not it could be one or more of the apps you have installed causing the phone to reboot.

P.S. asking VZW for help here is just going to get you a canned response from one of the moderators.  You're best bet is to call support directly.

0 Likes
tjfriday

primortal wrote:

I haven't had any dropped calls with my Icon so far and it hasn't rebooted once as-far-as I know.

I'd get a replacement and see if that resolves the issue.

When you did a factory reset did you leave it as it and see if it randomly rebooted; with out your apps installed?  If not it could be one or more of the apps you have installed causing the phone to reboot.

P.S. asking VZW for help here is just going to get you a canned response from one of the moderators.  You're best bet is to call support directly.

Funny you should ask if I left the phone without apps installed...  When I did the factory reset on the phone, I got distracted and wasn't able to reload my apps for about 8 hours.  During that time it did reboot on its own without warning once.

It's unfortunate if the mods here aren't engaged and providing thoughtful/helpful answers.  This could be a good tool for Verizon if they get personnel with the right experience and knowledge working with the customers.

0 Likes
primortal
Master - Level 1

Definitely get a replacement.  This is not typical with this phone.

See if disabling WiFi for a bit and see if that stops the reboots.

The outstanding issue with the Icon is WiFi; people have been seeing strange problems with email synching and one or two reported random rebooting like you.  Once they got a replacement phone the problem went away.

Take a look here, http://forums.wpcentral.com/nokia-lumia-icon/265196-nokia-lumia-icon-bugs-defects.html for other issues users are having with the Icon.

0 Likes
tjfriday

Yeah, I've been watching that thread on WPCentral, but wanted to see what Verizon had to say since they're the only carrier with this phone.  Sounds like I may have to walk this phone into the store.

Hooray, Quality Assurance!

primortal wrote:

Definitely get a replacement.  This is not typical with this phone.

See if disabling WiFi for a bit and see if that stops the reboots.

The outstanding issue with the Icon is WiFi; people have been seeing strange problems with email synching and one or two reported random rebooting like you.  Once they got a replacement phone the problem went away.

Take a look here, http://forums.wpcentral.com/nokia-lumia-icon/265196-nokia-lumia-icon-bugs-defects.html for other issues users are having with the Icon.

0 Likes
jsh17001
Contributor - Level 1

I had an issue with my Live email account not syncing properly. I turned of the option in Backup to backup text messages and the issue went away.

I haven't had any self reboots at all with this phone. My previous phone (The Trophy) would reboot about once a week.

0 Likes
jd63636
Enthusiast - Level 1

I received Icon number three yesterday since my second (replacement) Icon was also randomly rebooting along with some other problems Very disappointing.

0 Likes
primortal
Master - Level 1

I haven't heard too many complaints about the Icon.  Do you have the developer preview installed or still at 8.0?

The replacement is it a refurbished one from VZW?  If so might want to reach out to Nokia themselves, http://www.nokia.com/us-en/support/contact/phone-us/

0 Likes
jd63636
Enthusiast - Level 1

I have been running WP 8.0 no developer preview and the refurbished phones are coming from Verizon. I got home late last night so all I did was open the box and will probably contact Verizon tonight since the phone I am sending back is better condition after three months of use that the refurbished one they sent.

I had half though of bringing my 8X out of retirement to use since it was a stellar little phone.

I will reach out to Nokia and see what they have to say

Thanks

0 Likes