Nokia Lumina 822 doesn't stay connected to home Wi-Fi network
RazorbackSam

We have two Windows phones in our house.  I have the Nokia 822 and the other is a Windows phone 8x by HTC.  The HTC phone doesn't seem to have any trouble staying connected to our home Wi-Fi, but my Nokia Lumina 822 looses its connection frequently.  What happens is that at least a couple of times a week, probably more, my Lumina shows that it is connected to my home Wi-Fi and that it has a good signal strength but when I go to update an app or do a Bing search I get that message that it can't connect and that I should check to see if Airplane mode is on.  Of course it isn't, so I power cycle the phone.  When the phone reboots it shows Wi-Fi is turned off.  I turn on Wi-Fi under the setting menu anat which point the Lumina just hangs at this point with those five dots moving across the top of the screen and keeps showing that it is searching.  This can go on for hours and it never moves beyond this point.  The only way I've been able to get it to move beyond this screen is to then again power cycle the phone.  On this second power cycle the phone reboots showing the Wi-Fi is turned on and then it connects to my home Wi-Fi network.  It happens like this every single time.  I have gone through the troubleshooting guides, my phone has the latest software installed, and again, the HTC Windows phone in our home doesn't have this issue.  Other devices connected to our home Wi-Fi network include two TiVo's, two Nest Learning Thermostats, a couple of smart TV's, a few laptops and an XBox 360.  None of the other devices I've mentioned seem to have any trouble staying connected - just my Lumina 822.  I like the Nokia apps and the Windows Phone platform (except for the annoying lack of 3rd party apps and support)  but if I can't get this resolved I doubt I'll be a repeat buyer (my contract is up next February).  I'm curious to know if anyone else has encountered this problem and/or knows of any other fixes I can try.  Thanks.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Nokia Lumina 822 doesn't stay connected to home Wi-Fi network
primortal
Master - Level 1

I have no issues with the 822 or Icon connecting to my Netgear WNDR4500.

I'm assuming you have all the updates installed on the phone.

What type of router do you have and how is it setup?

Have you tried disconnecting from you wireless network and reconnecting to see if that clears it up?

0 Likes
RazorbackSam

Yes, all the updates are installed on the Lumina.  I have a Netgear WPN824v2 wireless router.  I have the WPA-PSK [TKIP] + WPA2-PSK [AES] Security Option selected.  My router has the latest firmware releases installed.  Yes, I've tried disconnecting and reconnecting, everytime I encounter the problem I described I have to reconnect so this happens frequently.  I've rebooted my router as well.  It seems to me that if it were the router, then the others Window phone in the house would be having problems as well.  Of all of the items I described in my home that are connecting to the wireless router, my Lumina is the only device that is having troulbe.

0 Likes
primortal
Master - Level 1

Can you change the security to just use just WPA2-PSK [AES]?  All the devices you listed should support it unless it really old hardware.  AES alone is a little bit more secure than TKIP and your current setting allows for either encryption methods.

This is how my Netgear is configured and everything works fine.

0 Likes
RazorbackSam

Thanks for taking time to respond.  I have altered my router security settings as you suggested.  We'll see if that makes a difference.

0 Likes