Phone hotspot - talk while on the web using a tablet?
bejeans
Enthusiast - Level 3

Using an internal (phone) hotspot, could I talk on the phone and surf on a tablet at the same time? I frequently need to do that - like when talking to a client, and looking for something for them on line using the tablet.

The Verizon rep didn't know if that was possible; he had suggested a separate hotspot so I could go from 3G to 4G on an iPad and have a shared (and less expensive) data plan with our phones and the tablet. But the newer hotspot is pretty bulky. I'm guessing it's not possible, but does anyone know? Thanks.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Phone hotspot - talk while on the web using a tablet?
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

I'm not sure of the radio configuration for this device, but I know in the android 4G phones you can talk and surf when connected to a 4G LTE signal. Hopefully your phone has a similar radio configuration.

I am aware that iPhone 5 can't access data while on a phone call because of its radio configuration.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
bejeans
Enthusiast - Level 3

Thanks, Ann. I'm looking to talk on the phone (with hotspot) while surfing on a tablet, rather than talking and surfing on the phone at the same time (though that would be nice).  But it could be they're equivalent?

0 Likes
rcschnoor
Legend

I would suggest giving it a try in a Verizon store. I have not had much contact with the Windows phones.

I HAVE used the hotspot to surf on a tablet and talked on the phone at the same time with both the Samsung GS3 and the Motorola Razr Maxx HD. It works very well.

As Ann has said, the Verizon iPhone 5 does not have this capability. Those on GSM carriers do not have this limitation, though.

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

The data is still being transferred through the phone to/from the tablet so yes you would still need a device capable of voice and data simultaneously

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
bejeans
Enthusiast - Level 3

My apologies - I should have said the phone is a Nokia Lumia 928. Despite lots of in-store conversation, the rep at the didn't suggest we try it out, and after two hours there, my brain was dead.. I'm not sure we could set it up though, since it would mean not just temporarily activating a hot spot on the phone, but removing the solo data plan from the iPad.

But maybe we could just check if I could  talk and surf on the phone. If you can do that, it would seem you could talk on the phone while surfing on a tablet...

I just read Ann's response that I'd need a phone capable of simultaneous voice and data, so have my answer there. Thanks, Ann. That simplifies things - should be able to find that out.     Message was edited by: Beth B

<< Full name removed to comply with >>

Message was edited by: Verizon Moderator

0 Likes
rcschnoor
Legend

Yes, I was aware it was the Nokia Lumia 928. That is why I said I didn't have much contact with the Windows phones. I just assumed you were considering making this purchase which is why I had given my experience with other devices.

It should not be that hard to test this in a store. You would not have to "remove the solo data plan from the iPad" but just turn off the cellular data. There should be an on/off switch in the settings. Then just make sure wifi is turned on.

You can then just go into the Verizon store and turn on the hotspot on the phone. No need to have a salesman even assist you. Join the network made available via the hotspot, make a call on the phone and then see if you can still surf on the tablet. I have done this on phones in Verizon stores and takes just a couple of minutes to test.

This works better in standalone stores rather than mall stores, I might add, as sometimes the phones in mall stores are not getting a strong data or voice signal.

Good luck. Hopefully you will be happy with the results.

0 Likes
bejeans
Enthusiast - Level 3

I just tested the talk/surf capability and it works - nice surprise! So if Verizon activated a phone hotspot, does that translate to being able to talk while surfing on the iPad?

And thanks so much for all the quick responses!

bejeans
Enthusiast - Level 3

Thanks for the step-by-step instructions! I'll do that today. I did just test talking and surfing on the phone at the same time, and it works.

Nice community!

0 Likes
rcschnoor
Legend

I'm curious if you are currently on a Share Everything plan. If so, you should just be able to activate the hotspot on your device. There will be no extra charge for the hotspot as it is included in Share Everything plans, the data used will just be counted against your allowance.

Make sure you password protect the hotspot when you activate it and be sure to turn it off when not in use. Don't need that extra drain on the battery OR the possibility of someone using your data without your permission.

0 Likes