Re: Phone hotspot - talk while on the web using a tablet?
bejeans
Enthusiast - Level 3

We're not on the Share Everything plan - the Verizon rep suggested we move to it and I agree. I had won the iPad and upgraded it from Wifi to 3G at the store where it had been purchased, so got a data plan at the store. But there's no need to have separate data plans - we have them for the phones too.

I see where to turn on the hotspot but not where you can password protect it. Since it's not activated, I assume it's in the Internet Sharing settings - thanks for the reminder to do so. Turning it off will be the issue - just like I occasionally forget to turn off 3G on the iPad. But a drained battery will remind me.

0 Likes
bejeans
Enthusiast - Level 3

I'm assuming there's access in a Verizon store that would not be available in a public hotspot (unless I already had the Share Everything plan)?

(The store isn't in an indoor mall so you get strong signals.)

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

If you are not on the Share Everything plan, what plan do you have? Nationwide with unlimited data plan or Nationwide with tiered data or something else?

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
bejeans
Enthusiast - Level 3

Good question. We have Nationwide Talk/Family share, and unlimited data (no longer in existence) for the phones, plus $30 for 2 gigs for the iPad, and $5 and $10 for texting for the phones.

My understanding is with the Share Everything plan, all data will come out of one pot and we'd get unlimited email and texts. Plus the hotspot on the phone would be included, in case I can use it for the iPad.

If I can't use the phone hotspot for the iPad, wouldn't I'd still have 3G iPad access? (Obviously there's a cost per phone line and iPad line.)  If so, the Share Everything plan is a no brainer - it costs less too, even upping the gigs.

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

If the Share Everything plan works for you and your family, then you should do what is best for you.

Now that we know what plan you have. What you can do is on the line with the Lumia (and unlimited data?) is in your MyVerizon account and add the Hotspot featureuunder "Add/Change Features". You won't be changing your data plan itself. Since the Lumia is a 4G LTE phone and you have unlimited data, you can add the unlimited hotspot for $30 per month. Then you can drop the data plan associated with the iPad if it isn't under contract. The price would be almost the same once you factor in the usual taxes and government fees.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
rcschnoor
Legend

IF you plan on switching to the Share Everything plan, it would be good to know if your iPad is under contract. If it is not under contract, I would suggest dropping than line altogether and using it solely via wifi UNLESS you need to use it where you will not have a phone w/hotspot available. That in itself would drop $10/month off your bill at the start.

When I got my iPad Mini, I purchased the wifi only version for this reason. I saw no reason to give Verizon an extra $10/month when I knew I would always have my phone with me if I needed a data connection for my iPad.

bejeans
Enthusiast - Level 3

Good idea - but as soon as I purchased the phone, my unlimited data plan went away.  I just called Verizon and changed the plan to Share Everything. I'll be paying the $10 iPad line fee you mentioned, but if I can tether the iPad to my phone and still make calls when away from wifi, can drop the iPad line/fee.

We should save about $40 a month. Just the iPad - no contract - has been $30 for 2 gigs (!). Yes, I should have checked if Verizon could have done better than the store when it was initially set up almost two years ago. If I recall, what was attractive was the ability to turn it off or on in any given month, but of course I never turned it off.

0 Likes
bejeans
Enthusiast - Level 3

My iPad isn't under contract, but I do sometimes need to use it when out - not a whole lot, but more than I thought I would when I got it.  If I can use the phone hotspot for the iPad data connection, and talk on the phone at the same time, I'll drop the $10 iPad charge.

I may consider dropping it even if I can't talk while surfing on the iPad, since I can talk and surf on the phone. It's just handy when not home to be able to talk on the phone while surfing on a bigger device.

0 Likes
bejeans
Enthusiast - Level 3

The result: you can talk and surf on another device while using the Nokia Lumia 928 as a mobile hotspot.

A super CS rep at Verizon (Kipp) moved me to the Share Everything plan today, as opposed to at the start of the next billing period that had been set up yesterday.  He activated and we tested the hotspot while we talked.

I dropped the $10/month iPad line that we would have paid. (And of course the non-contract $30 iPad charge was removed.)  Savings will be roughly $50/month.

To Ann154 and rcschnoor - thanks so much for your incredibly fast and spot-on advice.

Clarification: you can talk on the Lumia 928 and surf on a tablet, in my case iPad, at the same time, using the Lumia as a hotspot.

Message was edited by: Beth >Personal info removed<

Message was edited by: Verizon Moderator

rcschnoor
Legend

This is good news. Hopefully you will be as happy with the Share Everything plan as I have been the past 9 months.Smiley Happy

Edit: hopefully your switch was backdated to the beginning of your current billing cycle instead of "today". If it takes effect "today" you may have to determine what your pro-rated allowances are for this month.

0 Likes