Phone stuck booting after GDR2 Update
GRCurmudgeon

Got prompted to install what I think is the new GDR2 Update for my 8x this morning. The update downloaded over Wifi, asked me if I wanted to install, I said yes, it rebooted to install, and got stuck on the "spinning gears" screen (black background, 2 white gears) for over an hour. After some web searching, I found instructions for doing a hard reset, but that doesn't work. If I hold the power button, the screen will go black, the phone vibrates, then the boot sequence starts: white screen with HTC logo and info, blue screen with red Verizon windows cube, then the spinning gears screen. If I hold the volume down button for the hard reset, it gets to the white screen with HTC logo, then goes black, vibrates, returns to the white HTC screen, and reboots infinitely. I never see the exclamation mark icon screen where you do the rest of the button combo to hard reset the phone.

So now I'm stuck with the spinning gears and no clue what to try next with the phone.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Phone stuck booting after GDR2 Update
GRCurmudgeon

Well, after letting it sit for another hour or so (maybe 2.5 hours total?) while plugged into its charger, it finally came up and started migrating my data. So the update did apply, just took a VERY long time.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Oh wow! I regret to see that the update took so long to complete, but I'm glad everything resolved itself.

MarquiaF_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

GRCurmudgeon, good things come to those that wait. Have you downloaded a few applications to your device? If so,  software updates can take longer when theirs a few 3rd party applications downloaded to your phone. Thanks for keeping us posted. Device support is just a click away, http://bit.ly/y5iuoj

Lasina_VZW
VZW Support
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes