Phone turns off when not used
CelC
Enthusiast - Level 2

I just got my Window8 Nokia Lumia 822 and found that it turns completely off (cannot press the button on the side to turn it back on) when not used, i.e. overnight.  I have to pop open the back cover, take the battery out, replace the battery and cover and then it will come on.  Does anyone have any ideas how to fix this or reset the "off" button?

Thank you.

Message was edited by: Celeste
Dear Lena with Verizon Support:  I could not find you pm information.  Please send it to me.  My Nokia 822 still turns off when not used for a long period (like overnight).  Please help.    Celeste

Message was edited by: Verizon Moderator

Labels (1)
Tags (1)
0 Likes
Re: Phone turns off when not used
zalmesana
Enthusiast - Level 2

I think it's more than just "turns off when not being used"...I just got my 822 this past monday and it has randomly turned off 4 times already where I had to pull and replace the battery. A couple of times it was overnight, but today it was midday about an hour after I used it. I originally thought it might be the "words with friends" app, that was acting quirky. I uninstalled it a couple of days ago, but that did not help. I just read some other forums where people are having the same issue. I don't know if this is just MS, or Nokia doing updates and it will go away, but I also know that I cannot deal with 2 years of this, so I am heading to the VZ store where I purchased it to either fix it, replace it, or give me something else.

Killag

I have the same problem. I don't think it's words with friends as I don't have that app. Same problem, seems to crash when not in use and then requires the battery to be removed in order to turn back on. Hopefully, this gets fixed soon as I'm at risk of missing important calls.

0 Likes
hopmedic
Contributor - Level 3

First thing I'd do is a hard reset.  Make sure you have any data in your apps backed up that you need (game progress will not back up - angry birds, etc).  Sync your pictures.  Contacts, if you're using a Microsoft account for contacts, will sync automatically to SkyDrive, so you don't need to worry about them.  Go to settings, about, reset your phone, confirm it twice (unless they've changed this from WP7), and the phone will be back to factory in a minute or so.  Go back through the setup process, and see if it happens again.  If yes, you've most likely got a dud, take it back for exchange, and when they tell you to troubleshoot and they want to hard reset it and see if it happens again, tell them you already have, and this should save you a second trip to the store.

As for reinstalling your apps, there is an app that you can use, but I can't think of the name of it off hand.  You can also go to my.windowsphone.com and over over your name, click on purchase history, and click the reinstall link for each app you want to reinstall.  Much easier than trying to remember them and search for each one in the Store.  Caveat: You may want to take a screenshot of your app list and games list, or write down a list, because due to the recent glitches in the store, I have noticed that not all of my prior purchases showed up in my purchase history.

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

I understand that it can be quite frustrating for your device to power off on its own. I want to make sure your device is working as it should. The suggestions that hopmedic provided are very helpful. Have you tried any of these steps? Please try this and let us know how it goes. If the issue persists, send me a private message and I can then assist further.

Thank you,

LenaA_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
wo

I am having this problem as well.  I have tried the reset and after that didn't work I exchanged my phone for a new 822.  Within 24 hours of exchanging my phone this exact problem happened again (phone turns off, only way to restart is pulling battery out).  What is the next step to resolve this problem?

0 Likes
hopmedic
Contributor - Level 3

Everyone, Microsoft is responding to this.  There is an update that was announced last month, and when announced they said it would be pushed "next month" (which is this month now), and yesterday Windows Phone Central (www.wpcentral.com) ran a story that it is going out to some of the international carrier-unlocked HTC 8x devices.  This makes sense, as this is probably the smallest group of phones, since most of the Lumias are all tied to carriers, and Microsoft would want to test their first OTA (over the air) update on a small group first. 

Additionally, one person who posts on WPCentral who works fairly high up in VZW posted a comment that his boss told him that the update is imminent for Verizon.  So it is coming for us, soon. 

0 Likes
CelC
Enthusiast - Level 2

Please help.  My phone is still turning off after several hours.  I noticed that when the battery level is at 1/2 power that is when it shuts down.  I want a new phone.  Please answer my emails.  Lena said to send her a personal message and she would help.  Where is she?  Please help me resolve my issues. 

<Email signature with personal information remove for privacy per the Verizon Wireless Terms of Service.>

Message was edited by: Verizon Moderator

0 Likes
hopmedic
Contributor - Level 3

CelC,

First and foremost, don't put your name, address, or phone number on this board.  Even if you do, a mod will remove it (assuming they see it), or someone will (or at least should) flag it for review by clicking the report abuse button (not that you're abusing anything) in order to draw a mod's attention to it, so that it will be deleted.  This is for your own protection.

Second, if you have a problem that is as pressing as yours sounds, you shouldn't depend on the hit or miss (as I'm sure you've by now figured out the coverage is here) coverage that you'll get from VZW support here.  This is generally to be considered a community support forum, a forum where we users, or customers, help each other, and in the case of a phone needing replacement, we obviously can't do that.  You could just call *611 from your phone (or is it #611...  I can never remember which is which...) to get Verizon Customer Service, and they can help you from there.  That is where I recommend that you start.

0 Likes
zalmesana
Enthusiast - Level 2

Does this specifically correct the phone randomly turning off?

I made an earlier post about my 822 randomly turning off. Well, after a couple more weeks it still randomly turns off. It would work for a few days and turn off, work for a few days, then turn off. Then it started turning off every day for 4 days straight. I contacted VZ, where they did some simple restarts, but they had no clue if that helped. They then directed me to Nokia, where we did a full factory reset. It worked fine for a day and a half and then...wait for it...randomly turned off.

I contacted Verizon again and now they are supposedly going to replace the phone with another 822. Not once did they mention that any update would be coming out for this problem. I even spoke with a supervisor, who did not even reference any updates?  Wouldn't they just tell me to hold on to the phone?

0 Likes