Skip to main content
Accessibility Resource Center Skip to main content
Get up to $500 when you bring your phone. Plus, waived smartphone activation fee when you buy online. Limited time offer.
end of navigation menu
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Possible WiFi Connectivity Issue
C_DM

Has anyone been experiencing any WiFi connectivity issues--in particular reconnecting to an already saved (previously connected) network when you wake up your phone after a bit of time?

I'm noticing that for some of the networks, after I've already connected and saved the connection information and used WiFi, if I leave my phone for a bit, for example, and then come back and wake it up and start using it again it tries to connect to the same WiFi network but is sometimes (or even often) unable to do it.

This doesn't happen with all the networks, but with some it seems to happen a lot of the time. Sometimes it will reconnect at some point later, other times if I reset the router (assuming it's my network) that might get it reconnected. Kind of strange behavior not being able to do it all the time on all the networks--it's all basically inconsistent to a degree, yet clearly still an issue of some sort.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Possible WiFi Connectivity Issue
hopmedic
Novice

This has happened to me on all three of the Windows Phone devices I've had here in my home.  Sprint Arrive, Samsung Focus, and now the Trophy.  In my case, I chalk it up to a Franken-network.

I live behind my church.  There is a wireless router in the church.  It doesn't reach my home.  I purchased two high powered routers, and one of them is in the church repeating signals from church to the house.  The other is in the house repeating signals from the church to my devices, and from my devices back to the church.  I have to reboot routers all the time anyway, so I just figured that it was my network.  However, what you describe is exactly what happens to me, as well.

0 Likes
C_DM

hopmedic wrote:

This has happened to me on all three of the Windows Phone devices I've had here in my home.  Sprint Arrive, Samsung Focus, and now the Trophy.  In my case, I chalk it up to a Franken-network.

I live behind my church.  There is a wireless router in the church.  It doesn't reach my home.  I purchased two high powered routers, and one of them is in the church repeating signals from church to the house.  The other is in the house repeating signals from the church to my devices, and from my devices back to the church.  I have to reboot routers all the time anyway, so I just figured that it was my network.  However, what you describe is exactly what happens to me, as well.

Yeah, I can kind of see something like that being more of an issue in the kind of setup that you describe.  In my case, using my home network as an example of this, it's all pretty straightforward, and even thought there are definitely other wireless networks nearby, none have previously caused any issues, and even still don't with any other devices.
I have an iPhone and an iPad that have been using the same wireless network for at least a little while without any issues, and also had an Android phone for a short period of time that also ran fine.  So it does sound like it might be something related to the Trophy in particular and/or Windows Phone 7 in general in some sense (haven't really had any other WP7 phones to try it out with them).
0 Likes
hopmedic
Novice

C_DM wrote:

hopmedic wrote:

Yeah, I can kind of see something like that being more of an issue in the kind of setup that you describe.  In my case, using my home network as an example of this, it's all pretty straightforward, and even thought there are definitely other wireless networks nearby, none have previously caused any issues, and even still don't with any other devices.
I have an iPhone and an iPad that have been using the same wireless network for at least a little while without any issues, and also had an Android phone for a short period of time that also ran fine.  So it does sound like it might be something related to the Trophy in particular and/or Windows Phone 7 in general in some sense (haven't really had any other WP7 phones to try it out with them).

I don't think it's Trophy.  I've had 2 Arrives, 1 Trophy, and 2 Foci here, and they all do it.  It has to be something in WP7.  I find that sometimes turning WiFi off/on works, sometimes rebooting phone works, and sometimes I have to reboot my router.  Of course, I reboot routers often even before the phones, but this is a separate problem, as I can often still connect with computers even when the phone won't connect.  So yes, my Franken-Network has its part, but the phone definitely has a part, too.

0 Likes