Problem with my Lumia 928... started after Amber update.
millerstu

First, I to state that I love my Lumia 928 and the Windows Phone 8 OS. Second, I've been a Third-Party Microsoft developer for over 14 years and just started developing for Windows 8 and Windows Phone 8. So, I'm not a normal consumer but one that will try everything in my toolbox before asking for help or even writing posts like this.

History:

1. As of October 6, 2013, Verizon is sending me a new phone (not guaranteed to be new. Smiley Sad) to see if that fixes the issue
  2. Used for work and personal emails so I can't just go and do a "hard" reset without have extreme headaches.
    1. Last resort before I get my "new" phone, I've broken down and started doing a "hard" reset (actually this is my second time).
  3. No damage to the phone (Verizon employee has confirmed these, hence the new replacement)
    1. No cracked screen
    2. No frame cracked
    3. No water damage

Shortly after the Amber update, I started having problems. In order of oldest issue first.

1. Lock ups
    1. Random apps just freeze. No rhyme or reason. No pattern. Just all over the board.
  2. No touch response
    1. Side buttons work but that does be no good when I can't select anything on the screen. Solution, "soft" reset and things are good... for a while.
  3. Phone call speaker
    1. Started losing phone calls. Thought it was a signal issue until I noticed that the call were not actually dropped. Speaker just started cutting in and out (completely) and sometimes it would just dim to almost nothing and then come back.
  4. Microsoft account
    1. This is new as of October 5, 2013
    2. October 4, 2013, nothing was wrong. Then the next day, my Live account associated with my phone stopped working. Keeps saying "Not up to-date". Had to create another account to get my emails. As of today, it's still not working. Unfortunately, I didn't write down the error code so I can't post that here.

Is anyone else experiencing these issues after the Amber update and if so, what did you do to resolve it (if you did)?

Thanks,

Stu

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Problem with my Lumia 928... started after Amber update.
millerstu

Quick update...

Started the "hard" reset over 2.5 hours ago and the screen still shows the "gears" spinning. Shouldn't take this long and now I appear to be without a phone until the new one arrives. Awesome. Smiley Sad

How long should a "hard" reset take?

0 Likes
SuzyQ
Community Leader
Community Leader

The Amber update came to our Lumia 928 and we had just activated it like one or two weeks prior, so we were just getting to know the phone.  In answer to your difficulties following the Amber update:

millerstu wrote:

Shortly after the Amber update, I started having problems. In order of oldest issue first.

1. Lock ups
    1. Random apps just freeze. No rhyme or reason. No pattern. Just all over the board.  The only "freeze" or app problem I recall is the GREEN SCREEN when opening the camera, happened once, and a power off and restart fixed it.  The problem has not come back, to date (this was several weeks ago).
  2. No touch response
    1. Side buttons work but that does be no good when I can't select anything on the screen. Solution, "soft" reset and things are good... for a while.  I have heard of this happening to others, but I have not personally experienced the screen freeze issue. 
  3. Phone call speaker
    1. Started losing phone calls. Thought it was a signal issue until I noticed that the call were not actually dropped. Speaker just started cutting in and out (completely) and sometimes it would just dim to almost nothing and then come back. I've had this happen on a couple of calls - the caller becomes very garbled and static filled.  I've had to hang upand call back - and they say the same thing happens on  their end, my voice is all garbled, like I'm underwater or something.  Not all calls, and not frequently, but maybe once every couple of weeks.
  4. Microsoft account
    1. This is new as of October 5, 2013
    2. October 4, 2013, nothing was wrong. Then the next day, my Live account associated with my phone stopped working. Keeps saying "Not up to-date". Had to create another account to get my emails. As of today, it's still not working. Unfortunately, I didn't write down the error code so I can't post that here. This has not happened, to date, for me.

My screen is cracked due to a drop, prior to the Amber update.  (Yeah, it was nearly brand new when I dropped it Smiley Sad  )  That doesn't seem to affect the overall function of the phone though. 

So, to sum, I am experiencing some of the issues you described, but I'm not sure it's Amber, maybe just the phone design itself.  I don't know that a "new" phone will resolve things either.  Please do keep us posted...

0 Likes
SuzyQ
Community Leader
Community Leader

millerstu wrote:

No touch response

1. Side buttons work but that does be no good when I can't select anything on the screen. Solution, "soft" reset and things are good... for a while.

This happened to me this weekend - The screen would NOT respond to anything I did.  Even using the "soft reset" - power and volume down button - would bring up the "slide down to power off" screen but I could not "slide down" - the screen did not respond to my touch at all.  VERY FRUSTRATING!

I removed the SIM card, and that allowed the phone to reboot, with no connection....  replaced the SIM card and the phone rebooted and so far, seems ok.  I have read that the "Glance" function (new feature with the Amber update)  is what triggers this freezing behavior - I do have that turned on and I will leave it on to see if the freeze happens again.

This is the first really major shortcoming (other than no LED indicator lights!) I've found with the Lumia.  It's been a good phone for us, so far.

0 Likes