Problems with phone call sound
gmarchan

My HTC M8 Windows Phone is having trouble with phone calls.  When I make or answer a call (even to voicemail), it connects, but I generally can't hear anything.  (Unless I switch to speakerphone.)  Over the past few weeks I've also had instances where I can hear other callers, but they can't hear me.  Turning the phone off and back on no longer seems to help.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Problems with phone call sound
speedpilotf16
Enthusiast - Level 3

Did you drop it in something? If not, you phone may be defective.

0 Likes
gmarchan

Nope, haven't done anything to potentially damage it in any way.  It worked fine for the first two months I had it, and the problems have started over the last several weeks.  At first, I could hear the other callers, but they couldn't hear me. Now it seems to be that callers cannot hear me (even if I have it on speakerphone) and I can't hear them (unless it's on speakerphone).  From experimenting, it seems like callers get an "echo" of what they are saying on their end, but I don't hear anything on my cell phone.

0 Likes
speedpilotf16
Enthusiast - Level 3

Sounds like the material inside your phone may have jarred lose and is blocking your mic and speaker. as for the echo problem that could be due to the sensitivity of your mic picking up sound from your speaker inside the phone. The only other thing it could is that your speaker and mic could have gotten damaged, by sitting your phone down(screen side down) where someone just had a cold drink at or on a table that was wet. I know this from personal experience.

0 Likes
gmarchan

I've fiddled with it a bit and it seems to be the top speaker (the one you would hear the sound through) isn't working.  Gonna get on the horn with tech support and see if I need to get it replaced or what.  Thanks for the input!

0 Likes
primortal
Master - Level 1

I would suggest you contact HTC first instead of VZW.

0 Likes
gmarchan

Thanks - I've tried contacting both now, and after a few minor troubleshooting things, they both come down to performing a factory reset, and if that doesn't work, replacing the handset.  Bummer!

0 Likes
primortal
Master - Level 1

Have HTC replace the phone if need be.  I personally don't trust VZW replacement pool of devices.  I've heard too many people complain that the replacement phone was worse then the phone it replaced or it had the same exact problem.

0 Likes