Question Regarding Blocking Non-Verizon Incoming Calls
bubbajames56

My mother just recently went into a nursing home. I got her a simple cell phone for her to receive calls from family. She and I share 700 non-verizon minutes but I have found she has given her number to a non-verizon customer family member. Is there some way to "block" any calls going to her number that is not Verizon? This has me worried that she can receive calls from anyone not on Verizon.  Is it possible I can block a number from my current 700 minute plan without extra charge? Thank you before hand for any suggestions anyone can give me.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Question Regarding Blocking Non-Verizon Incoming Calls
Not applicable

You can go to "My Verizon" and block 5 numbers, I think, but why would you want to prevent your Mom from talking with a family member?  Get enough minutes to cover her.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Not applicable

You can go to "My Verizon" and block 5 numbers, I think, but why would you want to prevent your Mom from talking with a family member?  Get enough minutes to cover her.

0 Likes
bubbajames56

Thanks for the fast reply Jim. I will not block that number just yet but as it is I have to be very careful. I'm not being a tightwad or unfeeling toward other family members, I am just being cautious and will keep a close tab on the minutes as I am not a wealthy man who could afford 40 cents a minute should it go over my current plan.  This cell phone for my Mom has been a heaven send and I don't want to keep any family from talking to my mother, I just have to be careful as no other family member would be willing or capable of helping me pay for any over charges that could be preventable.

0 Likes
bubbajames56

Jim, YES I just found where you are allowed to block up to five numbers for 90 days (can re-block if necessary after the 90 days).I'm NOT going to block this family member's number without good cause. Right now it is safe but at least I now know I have the option if we get too close to the allowed 700 minutes. Your answer is greatly appreciated! Thank you....James

0 Likes
tikibar1
Community Leader
Community Leader

You may also want to remind your mom and family members that the "minutes don't count" on the weekends, so she/they could talk up a storm.

0 Likes
Not applicable

Keep an eye on the minutes as you go.  If you get close to going over you can increase your minutes to the next higher level and avoid paying the per minute overage.  Make sure you ask them to "back date" to the beginning of your billing cycle.  You can then block the number if necessary and reduce your plan back to 700 minutes the following month.

0 Likes
SuzyQ
Community Leader
Community Leader

bubbajames56 wrote:

Thanks for the fast reply Jim. I will not block that number just yet but as it is I have to be very careful. I'm not being a tightwad or unfeeling toward other family members, I am just being cautious and will keep a close tab on the minutes as I am not a wealthy man who could afford 40 cents a minute should it go over my current plan.  This cell phone for my Mom has been a heaven send and I don't want to keep any family from talking to my mother, I just have to be careful as no other family member would be willing or capable of helping me pay for any over charges that could be preventable.

If you bump the family plan to 1400 minutes, you will get 10 "Friends and Family" numbers (non-Verizon) that you can call unlimited as well - any phone on the plan can call those numbers "for free" anytime.  It may be worth the peace of mind not having to count and monitor minutes . . . just a thought.

0 Likes