Random shutdowns, way too frequent
STLFRIENDS

I have been experiencing random shutdowns with my HTC 8x Windows phone for about 3-4 weeks. What can I do to resolve this problem?

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Random shutdowns, way too frequent
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Let's get to the bottom of this, STLFRIENDS! How often is this happening? How long have you had your phone? Is there anything you've already attempted to fix this?

Thanks,
MichelleH_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
STLFRIENDS

Michelle -

I have had my 8X for 21 months. It has been a workhorse and I had not problems with it until about 2 months ago... when I began noticing that it was often off when I picked it up from my desk at work or took it out of my shirt or coat pocket. During the last 2-3 weeks, the phone turned off randomly many times per day -- probably 5-10 times per day.  It has shut off (I get the "goodbye" screen) during calls with clients six times in the past week.  That's a huge problem for me.  And, the Windows phone is very slow to reboot... which is even more problematic. These random shutdowns are not due to low battery.  They happen in the morning on a full charge just as much as they happen in the afternoon when power levels are lower. 

For many weeks, I have checked many times to make sure I have the most up-to-date version of the operating system.  I do.

I did factory reset yesterday (Saturday). The back-up restoration process went well.  Today (Sunday.. which was a low phone use day for me), I noticed it had randomly shut down 2 times.  Neither of today's random shut downs happened during phone calls.

I appreciate your assistance with this matter.  Is the problem the device or the network?

Thank you,

Eric

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Thanks for all the extra details, STLFRIENDS. The reset was definitely a step into the right direction! The power issue you described is not something that appears to be commonly reported on this device. Since it is shutting off completely and not booting back up unless you power it on, that does indicate something more hardware related with the number of times it does it each day. Has the phone been damaged (physically or liquid exposure) at all? Do you happen to have insurance or the extended warranty?

JenniferH_VZW

Follow us on Twitter www.twitter.com/vzwsupport

0 Likes
STLFRIENDS

The phone has not been damaged. Just normal use. No exposure to liquid... that I am aware of anyway.

We have insurance on the account, but is the insurance tied to a specific device or all devices on the account.  I checked the bill and the monthly charges for insurance show up on the statement for the second line on the account and not the line to which this phone is connected.  Can you see my account details?

Phone shut down randomly twice yesterday -- once during a phone call (very problematic). Problem persisting.

What is my next step?

I do very much appreciate your assistance... and I find this bulletin board messaging approach to solving this problem to be quite nice... it works because the situation is problematic but the phone is not totally dysfunctional. 

Thanks again,

Eric

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Hi Stillfriends,

Thanks for additional info! The insurance is tied to the number. If the insurance is on another number, then that number has insurance protection not your line. You would need to review the bill to see if your line has been paying monthly insurance. How long after you reset the device did the resets reoccur? Are you using the original charger only for the device when charging the phone?

Thanks,
PamelaF_VZW
Tweet us @vzwsupport

0 Likes
STLFRIENDS

I appreciate your reply.

Thanks for the clarification about insurance. Net result: my line does not have insurance.

The random shutdowns occurred on the next day I used the phone. I did the hard reset at night.

As for the charger, I use a couple chargers – one in my office and one bedside. Only one of them (in my office) is the original charger.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

STLFRIENDS,

Gotcha. Sorry that completing the factory reset has not resolved the problem. You had written earlier that there is no damage to the device. Sounds like something that would be covered under warranty. When was the phone purchased? The phones come with a standard 1 year warranty. If the phone had been purchased in less than a year then the phone can be replaced under warranty.

BrianP_VZW
Follow Us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
STLFRIENDS

The phone was purchased 20 months ago… which is beyond the 1 year mark you suggested was under warranty.

The random shutdowns are continuing. 3 today.

What should I do?

Thanks for your help.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Hi STLFRIENDS!

I'm sorry this issue is continuing for you. Let's take a closer look OK? Do you know if you carry the extended warranty on your device? This would put you in warranty. In addition, I wanted to ask if you notice any pattern when this happens. Are you performing a certain task, in the same app, etc.? Or is this happening when the device is in stand by mode and you're not using it? Let's gather some additional information.....

thanks!

ChristinaB_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes