Re: Random shutdowns, way too frequent
STLFRIENDS

I do not carry and extended warranty.

I do not notice any pattern when the random shutdowns occur. The random shutdowns seem much more likely to occur when the phone is not in use. I realize that the phone is off when I pick it up to check email or view the call log…and then I discover the phone is off.

Does this information help you trouble-shoot?

Is the Windows phone operating system or hardware problematic? I chose this device because I preferred the interface to an iPhone, but one must wonder if the Windows phone is inferior.

Thanks for your assistance.

I just want a reliable device and network.

==========================

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Thanks for those details, STLFRIENDS!
I am sure this situation with the phone is concerning for you.
How does the battery life seem to be? When you power it back on, do you have a significant battery life? Does the phone charge normally?
What we want to do is gather these details and provide them to HTC to determine if it is a hardware or software issue with the device.
Since there is no extended warranty on the 8X, you may even be able to contact HTC at 866.449.8358 or http://bit.ly/1vaXdB7.

TamaraH_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
STLFRIENDS

Tamara –

Thanks for your message.  The phone charges normally and seems to carry a weak charge.  In my experience, this phone has always been inferior to other phones (and my expectations) when  in terms of battery life. Currently, the phone does not make it through the day on a single overnight charge. My use is pretty standard – 2 hours of talk per day and 2-3 Gigs per month of data.

Is it my responsibility to contact HTC?  When you say that I “may even be able to contact HTC”, are you recommending that I do that? Please do not take this the wrong way, but I do not have a business relationship with HTC. I am a customer of VZW…and have been for a decade. I have an expectation that VZW customer service will resolve this continuing problem or tell me that there is nothing that they will do to resolve it.

The phone randomly shutdown three times yesterday and three times today.  

Happy Holidays,

E

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

STLFRIENDS,

Thank you for the details. You current battery life seems to be pretty standard for your device and smartphones in general. The battery life with usage for your phone, per the specs, is about 15 hours. However 15 hours is usually with very little use during the day.

As for contacting HTC we do suggest that you reach out to them as they are the manufactures of the device and the issue seems to be a hardware related issue. When a device is still under warranty and having issues such as yours we would go about the process of replacing the device, per the terms of warranty set by the manufacture. Since your device is no longer under warranty and does not have insurance we do ask that you reach out to the manufacture as they would be able to provide you with additional troubleshooting steps and suggestions to resolve your current device issues.

LindseyT_VZW

Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
TheBlueberry

STL,

I was having the same issues with my 8X phone for months, After a lot of googling and trying numerous fix's, I had the SIM Card changed out and did a soft reset and all was good for about a month. I have since changed the SIM card 3 times. There is a suggestion on the net to place 3 pieces of scotch tape on the back of the SIM card, trim it up and reinsert it back into the SIM slot.  I'm going for a new SIM card tomorrow and will use the tape.

0 Likes